Where is the AD version of Beyond the Green

UNT90

Maybe Ashton can answer this, but on a preseason podcast, Ashton mentioned that Beyond the Green was no more because the AD was going to do their own version for TV.

That is the last I heard about it. I haven't seen or heard anyone on here talk about any show produced by the AD that has taken BTG's place. 

If Ashton sees this, maybe you could clear this up. Was the series just not picked up by Fox Sports (or whatever network it aired on) or is this the AD yet again dropping the ball on something that provided great PR and publicity for UNT football?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I truly think they expected that periscope crap to replace the greatness that was Beyond the Green.  

If so, that's truly amazing and complete give up by this AD. 

They had someone else outside the university doing something that provided them great publicity and didn't cost them a red cent. All they had to do was provide access. 

So they cancel that to incur expenses themselves and produce a crappy product that I can't even access by smart phone? 

If this is truly what happened, this is reason number 1,528,935 that this AD needs to be fired.

I mean, an award winning show that you pay nothing for vs crappy, inaccessible periscope videos? 

Just...

If so, that's truly amazing and complete give up by this AD. 

They had someone else outside the university doing something that provided them great publicity and didn't cost them a red cent. All they had to do was provide access. 

So they cancel that to incur expenses themselves and produce a crappy product that I can't even access by smart phone? 

If this is truly what happened, this is reason number 1,528,935 that this AD needs to be fired.

I mean, an award winning show that you pay nothing for vs crappy, inaccessible periscope videos? 

Just...

They didn't try to do a bait and switch here. The Periscope bit is completely Poppy's baby and he just wanted to be ahead of the curve for once in an aspect of social media that is just now catching on. And I'm surprised you are not able to access them on your smart phone as that is the platform they are designed for.

• Upvote 1

Periscope is basically only for the smart phone, at least that is what it is designed for.  You need to get the app though, I think.

I actually really like that they do the periscope thing.  It is a great way to get the casual fan to watch something that they would not normally hunt down on YouTube or FSSW.

THAT BEING SAID....it should absolutely not be seen as a replacement to the BTG or a similar series, it should simply supplement the overall media put out by the department.

They didn't try to do a bait and switch here. The Periscope bit is completely Poppy's baby and he just wanted to be ahead of the curve for once in an aspect of social media that is just now catching on. And I'm surprised you are not able to access them on your smart phone as that is the platform they are designed for.

iPhone 6 says media is not supported every time I have tried.

If they think this is a replacement for BTG, they are SORELY mistaken. If that isn't what this is supposed to be, then we go back to the original question: Where is the AD replacement for BTG?

A good question for Ashton tomorrow night, @Harry. 

Edited by UNT90

iPhone 6 says media is not supported every time I have tried.

If they think this is a replacement for BTG, they are SORELY mistaken. If that isn't what this is supposed to be, then we go back to the original question: Where is the AD replacement for BTG?

A good question for Ashton tomorrow night, @Harry. 

Have you downloaded the Periscope app?

And geez, guys. It's not a replacement. Hell, Poppy's having to fight to continue even using it.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

Have you downloaded the Periscope app?

And geez, guys. It's not a replacement. Hell, Poppy's having to fight to continue even using it.

Then if it's not a replacement, where is the replacement?

Look, maybe Fox just didn't pick up the show for ratings reasons, but I recall Ashton saying something completely different preseason. He said the AD would be doing their own production and hinted it would replace BTG. 

Where is it?

This is not accurate.  We got a show for about as cheaply as anyone conceivably could have made it (that's what happens when you have a passionate alum willing to do something like that as a labor of love), but it was indeed a budget expense. 

This is not accurate.  We got a show for about as cheaply as anyone conceivably could have made it (that's what happens when you have a passionate alum willing to do something like that as a labor of love), but it was indeed a budget expense. 

I did not know the AD paid for this show. I apologize. 

Let's be thankful that baseball hasn't made its way to Denton yet as a tam sport...imagine how great we would be at another revenue sport that RV hired the head coach for?

Most would not call NCAA baseball a "revenue" sport.   @oldguystudent could probably clarify or correct me if I'm wrong.  

So, actually, since baseball would fall under the "olympic" sports umbrella, Rick would probably make a home run hire there.

Most would not call NCAA baseball a "revenue" sport.   @oldguystudent could probably clarify or correct me if I'm wrong.  

So, actually, since baseball would fall under the "olympic" sports umbrella, Rick would probably make a home run hire there.

There are probably fewer than ten baseball programs in the country out of about 301 D-1 programs (as of the 2015 season) that make money.

In other thoughts.  301 baseball programs.  There's a glaring omission in that list.

And in a rather sick twist of fate, the guy that I understand was supposed to be headed for Denton before the big accounting scandal killed everything has since been kicking ass and taking names, making quite the national name for himself.  

• Upvote 1

Neither is womens hoops, but it can bring revenue in. I'd call it a revenue sport, just because it COULD bring in revenue if you are good at the sport. I'd imagine that TCU and Dallas Baptist probably do ok in terms of revenue from baseball...

Edited by untjim1995