Day After Observations

LongJim

1. You can't give up 3rd and 8's and 3rd and 20's.  They result in extra possessions and tire out the defense.
  2. You can't fumble a punt in your red zone.  Your defense has forced a three and out, and now they have to go back on the field.
  3. QB played well enough to get his team the win.
  4. Offense started out throwing to set up the run and it worked.
  5. The offense had no problem moving the football against Rice for most of the game.
  6. Defensive line is well-coached but need more pressure from 4 to help a shaky secondary.
  7. Rice's TE's are loads. 
  8. Where the hell was Boomer?
  9. Student section turned out.  Alumni side had opportunities.
  10. There was definite improvement from week 1 to week 2.
  11. Poppy's popcorn FTW.
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

If NT had last year's schedule, then I could foresee this team hitting six if they continue to make the improvement as they did from weeks 2 to 3 and the defense tightens up.  But with the tough schedule coming up, I could see a max of 4 wins this year (USM, Portland St, UTSA, and UTEP). 

What I'm most worried about though is not being able to carry over a QB to next year.  If McNulty had another year left and continued to improve, then maybe I would want to stick with him.  Instead, I would rather give the Greers and the Smiths a chance to get experience that they can carry over to next season.

P.S. I am so glad you included point #3 and #5.  We could have won yesterday's game if we had kept the momentum that was lost after the two fumbles.

Edited by helix

Oh look, here come the "alumni should have done better" comments. 

As for Boomer, it was there, but no clue why they didn't fire it.

Yeah, I'm not bagging on the alumni.  More that I thought the student side really showed well by comparison.  This bodes well for the furture, I think. 

Boomer was there but definitely issues getting it going Saturday. 

I can answer #8.

At some point last year one of the university safety officers thought it a good idea to have Talons remove the time tested percussion cap system I installed in 2004 in favor of an electric system similar to that used in model rocketry, and one we abandoned years ago due to unreliability.....without notifying me of course.   After all...I've only built, repaired and maintained the damn thing for going on 28 years now,  so what would I know?

As I pointed out to Talons and university officials years ago...percussion caps for muzzeloading have been around for 195 years and were invented as a reliable means to fire weapons in any weather.  The percussion cap system is one of the two main systems used by muzzleloader artillery crews nationwide..the other being the use of friction primers.  Friction primers are good but more expensive and difficult to obtain.   Both are reliable,  but most importantly are not susceptible to malfunction due to moisture exposure...and yesterday we had all the moisture you needed for misfires.  

I notified university officials and they are aware of the problems yesterday.  Wether or not they'll call to get the current problems fixed in time for the next game we shall see?

Rick

Is there a way to bring the decibels down I swear that things gunna blow my ear drums out one day and I'll be bleeding from the ear. I do appreciate all your efforts it scares the dog mess out of me every time. EVERY FREAKING TIME. Lol

Is there a way to bring the decibels down I swear that things gunna blow my ear drums out one day and I'll be bleeding from the ear. I do appreciate all your efforts it scares the dog mess out of me every time. EVERY FREAKING TIME. Lol

Me too.  I've tried to figure out when they're going to fire the damn thing and cover my ears, but it seems so inconsistent from game to game.  

• Upvote 1

The emptier the stadium the louder it is.  Plus, wind direction can carry the sound in your direction also.

But no, there's no way to reduce the sound further as there is a minimum amount of powder required per inch bore diameter.  Anything less and you'll get nothing but fizzle.

Trust me when I say the sound today is no where as loud as it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  

In our minds, if we weren't setting off car alarms outside the stadium we weren't doing it right.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6

The emptier the stadium the louder it is.  Plus, wind direction can carry the sound in your direction also.

But no, there's no way to reduce the sound further as there is a minimum amount of powder required per inch bore diameter.  Anything less and you'll get nothing but fizzle.

Trust me when I say the sound today is no where as loud as it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  

In our minds, if we weren't setting off car alarms outside the stadium we weren't doing it right.

Rick

I appreciate the efforts Rick. Thank you for what you do for the university. Maybe you could convince the video board to do a 3.2.1 countdown for everyone to prepare for the boom

• Upvote 3

Yeah when he heard it at the end of the half, it was their second attempt. 

After the incomplete pass when we thought it was the end of the half I looked over at boomer and it just went fwomp and a little smoke came out. It worked the second time we ended the half. 

Because only baby boomers should be allowed to operate it?

Fixed that for you!

The license has no restriction on caliber; hell, I'd carry Boomer if I was strong enough.

Signed,

A Baby Boomer

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1