Ticket reporting that UT AD will be fired

UNT90

He's been the AD since 2013.  I don't recall who he replaced.

Right. And UT went to a bowl game last year.

Standards, they simply don't exist for UNT athletics. 

Here is a question for you boys: if RV finally gets what has been a long time coming, does any program anywhere hire him? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Patterson was a disaster at UT and he deserves to get the boot.

He alienated donors and minor coaches alike, such as the Women's Tennis Coach who lasted 9 months and left, mainly because he started limiting coaches to only a certain amount of meals in the cafeteria while meeting with players amongst other garbage.

He also was not well liked by most of the alumni.

Hmm not that does start sounding familiar in a minor sort of way

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some day, we'll go have lunch with the dollar guacamole at Matador's in Denton, and I'll tell you the one thing I see that I think is responsible for the bulk of our woes.  It has never been mentioned on this board.  I think everybody is waaay off in their assessments and I think everybody is waaaaaaayy off on what they perceive the motivations of AD parties and their supporters to be.

But other than publicly acknowledging that our performance SUCKED on Saturday and has more or less SUCKED for 7/8ths of the time I've been watching, I'm not going to make any public personal attacks unless they involved the unwavering confidence of the Sultan of Southlake and the unruly behavior of certain parties personally connected therein.

I will, however, take umbrage with those who criticize me in taking joy from the mere experience of tailgating and club seating since I can take no joy in football, and I refuse to get as emotionally involved as I was during the truly dark days.  If I can't find some way to derive some modicum of enjoyment from this, then I start questioning why I spend so much money on it (a question my teenage daughter has already raised more than a few times).  But I do derive enjoyment from it as best I can, so I keep coming back, I keep paying up, and I generally keep a smile on my face.

Emmitt is right about one thing in particular -- this is my university.  It isn't Rick's university.  It isn't Mac's university.  It isn't Lee Jackson's university.  It's mine.  I'll be here long after all of those are gone.  If I've learned one valuable lesson in the corporate world, it's that sometimes when you can't beat the people above you, you distance yourself and simply outlast.  If the incompetence is truly there, they will collapse upon themselves in due time.

Hmm, that or meet at Ojeda's in Lewisville...

If the incompetence is truly there, they will collapse upon themselves in due time.

This is the best sentence I have read in a long time.  It is my hope of hopes, that we are not witnessing a self inflicted implosion right in front of our eyes.  See you Saturday.  I am going for P.K. training on the new 17000 lb. smoker today.  I will text you a picture.  I have not seen it yet, but according to Mike R. it is a behemoth.

• Upvote 3

Some day, we'll go have lunch with the dollar guacamole at Matador's in Denton, and I'll tell you the one thing I see that I think is responsible for the bulk of our woes.  It has never been mentioned on this board.  I think everybody is waaay off in their assessments and I think everybody is waaaaaaayy off on what they perceive the motivations of AD parties and their supporters to be.

But other than publicly acknowledging that our performance SUCKED on Saturday and has more or less SUCKED for 7/8ths of the time I've been watching, I'm not going to make any public personal attacks unless they involved the unwavering confidence of the Sultan of Southlake and the unruly behavior of certain parties personally connected therein.

I will, however, take umbrage with those who criticize me in taking joy from the mere experience of tailgating and club seating since I can take no joy in football, and I refuse to get as emotionally involved as I was during the truly dark days.  If I can't find some way to derive some modicum of enjoyment from this, then I start questioning why I spend so much money on it (a question my teenage daughter has already raised more than a few times).  But I do derive enjoyment from it as best I can, so I keep coming back, I keep paying up, and I generally keep a smile on my face.

Emmitt is right about one thing in particular -- this is my university.  It isn't Rick's university.  It isn't Mac's university.  It isn't Lee Jackson's university.  It's mine.  I'll be here long after all of those are gone.  If I've learned one valuable lesson in the corporate world, it's that sometimes when you can't beat the people above you, you distance yourself and simply outlast.  If the incompetence is truly there, they will collapse upon themselves in due time.

It's a date. Just say what day.

UNT90, there is a huge difference between UT and UNT.  I believe we need a change at UNT, but trying to tie us to what UT does is a bridge too far.

Fly, there is no doubt the AD has done a lot of good at UNT.   I discount two of the biggest improvements (move to CUSA, Apogee Stadium) because some much of the impetus to make those happen came from outside the AD office, but everything you listed is a big improvement.  However there is no doubt that when it comes hiring winning coaches and raising MGC and season ticket sales, it looks awful.  After 15 years I think we have what we are going to get, and I would want to look for new energy to at least try and take us to a new level.   

• Upvote 3

I am tired of hearing how broke we are.  It is simply not true.  If we need to buy people out, we can do it.

then why don't we, and why don't we start with an AD that deconstructed basketball with a terrible hire and has what appears to be 2 failed hires at football.

Buildings went up because of people like you loved your university. 

Conference allignment? We are in Sun Belt 2 right now, which is better than Sun Belt 1, but isn't the AAC or the Mountain West, where we should be with our market and facilities that people like you worked so hard to build. 

If you think UT is a bad comparison, who would you have us compared to? ULM? SFA? UTA? 

We are a freaking FBS level athletic program. It's long past due that we start to act like one, from scheduling football games, to getting freaking away game tickets to those who purchase a month in advance so they don't have to wait in a 200 person deep will call line, to hiring coaches and then firing them when it is crystal clear they are a massive failure, to being honest about our own mistakes and not continually lying to the small fan base that you do have. 

But, then again, how could we ever expect to have the standards of Western Kentucky University or Old Dominion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

yes, exactly the same crap.  15 years ago we moved from the big west to the sunbelt.  Our weight room was tiny.  Our womens soccer team was playing on an intramural field.  The locker rooms were worthy of hosting a 2a texas high school football team.

We now have a stadium that is arguably the best in our conference.

The women have dedicated facilities

We have a basketball practice facility

We are about to open a state of the art golf facility at the honors club

I could go on and on about the positives, but that would only cause you to repeat your constant rant about the negatives

So let me help you

The schedule in football this season sucks

As Bill Parcells says, you are what you are, and we are winless in football right now, and winless in a way that is hard to swallow.

But in no way is the situation at THE FREAKIN UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS IN AUSTIN remotely the same as ours, so don't make the bad comparison

For the umpteenth time, the Stadium and the income stream that lead to all the other stuff was done by the SGA......not RV. No income stream from increased student services fees....no stadium, and no extra funds to do most of the rest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the umpteenth time, the Stadium and the income stream that lead to all the other stuff was done by the SGA......not RV. No income stream from increased student services fees....no stadium, and no extra funds to do most of the rest.

This is laughable.  The strategic vision of buying the liberty campus, closing the golf course, building a tennis facility, building and athletic practice facility and locker rooms, that was all the SGA. 

I guess the big ffffing check that I wrote for the stadium didn't clear, or the check for the athletics center, or the check for basketball practice facility.  Stop insulting some of us with this b.s. 

• Upvote 6

This is laughable.  The strategic vision of buying the liberty campus, closing the golf course, building a tennis facility, building and athletic practice facility and locker rooms, that was all the SGA. 

I guess the big ffffing check that I wrote for the stadium didn't clear, or the check for the athletics center, or the check for basketball practice facility.  Stop insulting some of us with this b.s. 

at some point, I just hope you demand some on the field/court results for all of your investment in this program. 

Just know that NOTHING will change with this AD at the helm. There is 15 years of evidence that says so.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm with old guy student here.  Enjoy the moments and take joy in apogee opening weekend.   Emotional attachment in the end is what is important and channeling emotion for good is great.  Important is how that emotion is presented - constructive or destructive - inspiring or deflating? approach with the right attitude mobilize energies and build a true culture of hope and optimism.

i will take solace in family friends Mean Green football and never walk alone at the end of the game.  I am traveling in from Sydney and plan on enjoying the moment.  It will be a winning experience either way.

steam rice

go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I am tired of hearing how broke we are.  It is simply not true.  If we need to buy people out, we can do it.

Then if this season ends like we all think it will...with 2-4 wins, I hope we buy out RV and Mac because the program is going no where with them at the helm. Donors, especially at the level of yourself, and current and former students have invested too much for what's being thrown out on the field.

And the moment the basketball team cannot finish better than .500 in conference play, Benford needs to be fired. It sucks, but eventually we're going to have to pay up for RV's mistakes.

Then pretty please do it. PUHHLEAAAASSEEEE

I agree facilities are amazing, conference affiliation has improved dramatically.  The hiring choices he has made have been atrocious at best. Lets thank him for his work, but its time to move on, get some fresh blood in there and renew our Athletic department!