Throwing salt on the wound.....

Got5onIt

Can you imagine being in D. Smith's shoes? A former Elite 11 quarterback, going from a good stint at juco to literally the worst quarterback situation in all of FBS football and despite any effort he puts forward, he cannot unseat the worst(by quarterback rating) quarterback in all of FBS football. That has to be depressing and his eligibility is running out fast. I feel for the guy, where else can he go? D2? FCS? I just hope he can go play somewhere, anywhere, to show off his talent before his eligibility is spent.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

Can you imagine being in D. Smith's shoes? A former Elite 11 quarterback, going from a good stint at juco to literally the worst quarterback situation in all of FBS football and despite any effort he puts forward, he cannot unseat the worst(by quarterback rating) quarterback in all of FBS football. That has to be depressing and his eligibility is running out fast. I feel for the guy, where else can he go? D2? FCS? I just hope he can go play somewhere, anywhere, to show off his talent before his eligibility is spent.

He doesn't seem terribly happy

https://twitter.com/DaMarcusSmith7/status/643088494827450370 

Edit: Dangit why won't these embed for me

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

Here's what I think about Damarcus Smith. He's here at UNT for a reason--he chose to come here to play QB here, where the offense asks you to handoff and throw 2-yard passes. And he looked at it, and said, "Yep, that's for me". He went from being in the Top 11 Elite QB rankings to the third string at UNT, after having to go the JUCO route. In my opinion, he is just Brock Berglund redux until proven differently. Those mobile, big arm QBs cannot score well on Chico and Mac's paper tests. They take--gulp!!--risks on offense...just like we saw with Woody Wilson under McDickney Part I, those kind of QBs are not welcome in the 1970 Woddy Hayes offense. Smith was either not smart enough to see that the offense we run here doesn't fit his skill set at all or he knew that nobody else was going to give him a chance to "compete" as a QB in the FBS world. Nothing else makes any sense. So now, we have completely alienated ourselves to any below average or higher throwing QB in Texas high schools and are on the way to doing the same to the JUCO QBs that we are only able to go after these days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Especially since he lost his shot at WKU for the top spot. I could only imagine his excitement when he transferred over to North Texas, knowing very well of the QB struggles we are having since Thompson left. And a fan base hitting him up on Twitter, telling him that he is going to be a god send for this football program.... Him getting all of this encouragement that he will take the field..

And then Mac comes in with his energetic attitude, announcing the 2 QB's that were very well a huge factor in the slacking of our offense in 2014, have earned the top 2 spots. I can only imagine that D.Smith has that small glimmer of hope of taking the field. the same type of hope that a lot of UNT fans have... That we will someday have a consistent 2013 CUSA powerhouse team, and we will once again have the back to back bowl seasons we had in the early 2000's. 

• Upvote 1

But his missed Spring ball damnit!  He has to be punished!  You cannot play quarterback at UNT if you miss Spring Ball!  How can you have any pudding when you haven't eaten your meat!

I like this version of Harry.

But he is only 6'1".

Don't you know? 6'1 QBs could never get a leg up on 5'11 ones.

Bottom line- the QB situation at UNT under McCarney is causing major issues among many supporters of UNT.   Long time fans have given up since last year.  They are finished with UNT athletics.  Done.  Caput.

Losing really good, dedicated fans on McCarney's watch.

Yep. And not shit will be done about it. I'm not coming back into Apogee until at minimum a QB change takes place. My eyes can't take any more. 

Yep. And not shit will be done about it. I'm not coming back into Apogee until at minimum a QB change takes place. My eyes can't take any more. 

Its funny...we told you that you would reach this point. That you would either accept it like the 2% does or walk away like the other 98% do. I just figured it might take longer than a year or so...

• Upvote 2

Its funny...we told you that you would reach this point. That you would either accept it like the 2% does or walk away like the other 98% do. I just figured it might take longer than a year or so...

Good grief man, do you realize how long 12 months is to Gen Y/Z?  He has suffered longer than anyone on this board.

• Upvote 3

Not a knock on D. Smith, but didn't he miss spring camp for academic reasons?   It takes some people longer than others to learn, but that doesn't mean his potential isn't higher than others.  Give him some time and I think we'll get to see what he's capable of. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Not a knock on D. Smith, but didn't he miss spring camp for academic reasons?   It takes some people longer than others to learn, but that doesn't mean his potential isn't higher than others.  Give him some time and I think we'll get to see what he's capable of. 

not picking on you at all UNT 90 GRAD but my new mantra is that when we question the players we also question the staff as well the support staff who in this case SHOULD have raised a red flag on this young man's academic situation or at a bare minimum kept tabs on his progress in his classes and lit a fire under his butt if he was needing it.  It happens with the big boys and we need to start doing the same.  Especially at such a critical position.  Maybe I am wrong and every possible step was taken to make sure he made the grade but in that case why do you even take that risk?  Was he meant to be an insurance policy for the year after McNulty graduates?

Sorry to vent but I am in the mode of our program taking responsibility for results.

the same thing applies to the "we did everything we could to best prepare them to execute" versus "we did not execute and as a staff we need to take responsibility for that."

not picking on you at all UNT 90 GRAD but my new mantra is that when we question the players we also question the staff as well the support staff who in this case SHOULD have raised a red flag on this young man's academic situation or at a bare minimum kept tabs on his progress in his classes and lit a fire under his butt if he was needing it.  It happens with the big boys and we need to start doing the same.  Especially at such a critical position.  Maybe I am wrong and every possible step was taken to make sure he made the grade but in that case why do you even take that risk?  Was he meant to be an insurance policy for the year after McNulty graduates?

Sorry to vent but I am in the mode of our program taking responsibility for results.

the same thing applies to the "we did everything we could to best prepare them to execute" versus "we did not execute and as a staff we need to take responsibility for that."

+1

• Upvote 3

Dajon was basically almost as unrecruited as the totally unrecruited McNulty. This guy is a completely different commodity. Throwing away eligibility for 4-star recruits is not something we should be doing at North Texas.

You don't have to start him Coach. Just give the guy a couple of series to see what he can do. He actually has considerably more post-high school experience than your adopted son, and that experience was very successful. It could save this season, your reputation, and your job.

I agree that UNT should not be throwing away eligibility. I still don't like the "Kevin Dillman" move from QB to TE.  I think, with development he would have been a great QB for UNT. 

• Upvote 1

All we seem to hear is how hard it is here to recruit, how low our funds are, how little we care about athletics, how there's money to be used but the BOR won't let go of it...

I think this part is great , though, right now for all of us. The situation with our athletic department and the two main sports is damn near dire. We keep losing, both on the scoreboard and at recruiting, while we just run out the clock on contracts until the buyout is deemed affordable. Because of this, rarely do you get the opportunity as fans of the program to get a clear idea of how the leadership of the university is or isn't going to fix this. Right now, we get to see if the President really cares about this beyond lip service. If he does, can he get the BOR on board to making changes, and at what degree can we make the changes. If it remains status quo around here, we all get to know it--which means that we can determine if we want to contribute to the program still with our $$$ and attendance. If the UNT leadership won't fix this--whether all at once or in incremental steps--the majority of donors and season ticket holders that are still on this MG ship are going to bail. To me, this will all be clearer as the months ahead progress forward. We get to see if Smatresk cares enough to even try and make changes, if the BOR will let him make personnel changes that he wants to make, and who he hires for each position. I really think that if things are going to get fixed in the athletic department, Smatresk has to replace RV--he can't let RV make another hire in one of the two main revenue sports, not with that track record. If RV is here for when Tony Benford gets replaced this upcoming season and is allowed to make the next hire, that will tell you all you need to know about the direction of the program. We get that Mac cannot go even if goes 0-12 this year (its possible) because RV gave him the ridiculous extension. But you can send a great signal to Mac that a new AD is coming and will make his life a living hell if he doesn't win soon in his next two years of his contract.

To me, that's what you have to look forward to for the rest of 2015--seeing if we have a President who can rattle the cages and get things changed. Because without any substantive changes in personnel in the AD, that will confirm the status quo remains. And we all need to know if that is going to be the case going forward. Because if it is, most people will probably just walk away, never to be heard from again. If the BOR doesn't care that the Super Pit is at 50% attendance now, as compared to the previous coach's last season, or if  it doesn't care that Apogee has about 3500 butts in seats for the last game of the season, then they shouldn't be surprised when even more people take away their support of the programs.

Didn't Dillman want to play at TE instead of QB?

I think the 'QB Guru' at Guyer said he's not a D1 QB, rather a TE.  Of course, he can say that when he's trotting Heard and Robinson out there...I think Dillman is just a gamer and he wants to play.

Dude's a team player. Foresee a captain in the making.