Coach's Show?

UNTLifer

I don't think we ever had the intent to kick the ball the first time.  The kicker showed no sense of urgency.  It was 4th and 4 to go.  I suspect we were trying to see if they were going to jump off-sides given they had already done that a couple times prior to that down.

If that wasn't the case then the players on the field lost track of the time on the play clock and the coaches called a timeout to avoid a 5-yard penalty as the time out was called with 1 second left on the clock.

This makes no sense. You do this with a QB and an offensive line on the field with a hurry up, don't you? And you try a hard count to see if they bite.

• Upvote 1

First, much better crowd than I expected this evening.  Several first time attendees who when asked said they are season ticket holders and MGC members and said they got an email and just decided to attend.  Not included in the "better crowd" we're the members of the Athletic Dept.'s Student Athletic Council (2 from each sport) in attendance.  Nice to congratulate the soccer players on their great win over TCU and the Cross Country team on their recent win (men) and better than expected (women) finishes recently.  

And, for those inquiring souls, Andrew was in attendance.  But, no open mic, so anyone with those hard hitting questions will have to send them in ahead of time for any chance of being asked/answered.  Nothing new...no open mic for some time, but even when available no one with those questions ever showed up to ask them.  So, no matter if there is a mic or not it seems.

Overall standard format with Dave, Mac and Hank running the show with two players sitting in for a few minutes.  Tonight we had Blake Bean and Jordan Murray who will get his first start against Rice this Saturday.  Always great to hear from our student-athletes.  Factoid here....Murray's mom is also a student enrolled at UNT and from time to time they are able to catch up for lunch.  Pretty cool.  Both in engineering programs...yes, you heard that correctly...engineering.  Blake Bean btw was a high school state wrestling champion out of Stillwater, OK HS.  Pretty stiff wrestling competition in Oklahoma.

Nothing much new from Mac.  You know exactly what you are going to get with Mac.  On the field and at the Show.  I was sorry to hear about Kenny Buyers season ending back injury, but happy to hear that the surgery went well, and he is expected to return for his 5th season next year.  Mac said 100% he gets a fifth year...medical redshirt.

Mac talked about the great crowd and how great it was to see that as the team took the field, and he thanked the fans who were at the game.  Obviously he appreciated the nice turnout for the radio show as well.  As I said, better crowd than I expected.

And, RV, John Nitardy, Mike Smith, Reggie Johnson, Hank and other athletic dept personnel were in attendance should you wished to have asked them some direct questions face to face.  Missed opportunity ask those questions I guess.  

Talked about Rice a bit and reviewed the SMU game as well.  Talked about missed assignments and how that's on the coaches. 

I did have to grin a bit when Mac was talking about our home record and the guy sitting next to me leaned over and whispered something to the effect of "someone needs to remind Mac that football includes road games as well"!  Tough keeping a straight face after hearing that one.

Remember folks...kickoff is at 1:30 pm Saturday.  Be there!  First home game.

Why did my thread get deleted but these comments are still here?

Oh, you know.

• Downvote 6

At least he got to mention his national championship at Florida.

He did in fact do that. Never fails. He also talked a lot about "lets keep winning" or "keep this thing rolling." I was dumbfounded. Dude. Is. A. Joke. 

Actually, kram, Jordan's mother is in the engineering program. Jordan (and Bean) is an integrated studies major. 

• Upvote 3

He did in fact do that. Never fails. He also talked a lot about "lets keep winning" or "keep this thing rolling." I was dumbfounded. Dude. Is. A. Joke. 

Actually, kram, Jordan's mother is in the engineering program. Jordan (and Bean) is an integrated studies major. 

I do think you are correct about those majors, Ben.  Thanks for fixing that one.  And, I started to mention that Florida Championship comment and just forgot...The guy next to me was counting them...we looked at each other and grinned with that Florida reference fully expecting several more...never came.  Hey, that's something, right?

• Downvote 2

I do think you are correct about those majors, Ben.  Thanks for fixing that one.  And, I started to mention that Florida Championship comment and just forgot...The guy next to me was counting them...we looked at each other and grinned with that Florida reference fully expecting several more...never came.  Hey, that's something, right?

He's a broken record in front of a mic and probably everywhere. 

"Love him, trust him, respect him. There's no doubt about it...then blah blah" then I start slowing zoning out. 

• Upvote 1

Mac and Dave just filibustered until the end of the show.  Never offered to take questions from the audience.

Anyone who has been coming to the shows or listening consistently would know that "open mic" time has been gone for some time...long before Gpeorge turned it over to Dave. Why?  I don't know, but I am guessing because very very few questions ever came from the audience and they had the Facebook with Poppi question thing.  Questions still being sent in...I think 3-4 were read and answered during tonight's show.

• Downvote 2

Anyone who has been coming to the shows or listening consistently would know that "open mic" time has been gone for some time...long before Gpeorge turned it over to Dave. Why?  I don't know, but I am guessing because very very few questions ever came from the audience and they had the Facebook with Poppi question thing.  Questions still being sent in...I think 3-4 were read and answered during tonight's show.

I'm pretty sure I counted 3, very well screened, before being read and answered.