SMU thank you, credit where credit is due.

KingDL1

The boulevard is really cool, I love the shade. SMU fans had some great setups for their tailgates.

I was treated really well yesterday, I had several SMU fans on the Boulavard stop me and my buddy to offer us beers, drinks and food. I never had an empty cup. I experienced nothing but great hospitality.

Thank you!

Edited by KingDL1

I didn't have a large sample size but some douchelord in front of me (line to get in) started mouthing off about "yeah but they have to attend North Texas..... North Texas sucks brah"

When I started mocking him and calling him out he wouldn't turn around.  His head turned and realized I was aiming my mockery at his boat shoe wearing ass but apparently he didn't want to man up.

I'm not beneath letting a little of my Irving out on someone :)

I didn't have a large sample size but some douchelord in front of me (line to get in) started mouthing off about "yeah but they have to attend North Texas..... North Texas sucks brah"

When I started mocking him and calling him out he wouldn't turn around.  His head turned and realized I was aiming my mockery at his boat shoe wearing ass but apparently he didn't want to man up.

I'm not beneath letting a little of my Irving out on someone :)

You should have asked him what the hell "Boulevarding" is, thats what they call their Tail Gating scene. LAME 

• Downvote 1

I second this. I took my 5 and 6 year old boys and they had a great time. I took the time teaching them about the SMU traditions, mascot etc for the experience. They know UNT well and always look for scrappy and know our NT chant. I work with a former receiver from SMU and he stopped by to say hello. Very nice young man and we are friends now. I didn't like the outcome nor the play of our team but the day was very nice and the SMU fans were hospitable and polite.

SMU, Thanks for hosting. 

Edited by JRock
  • Upvote 3

First off, SMU's administration deserves a congratulatory "job well done" on their college game day atmosphere.  Tons of tailgating, they implored the students to attend and actually go inside the stadium and they did.  It was a great game day atmosphere and the 8-10k folks in green certainly added to this as well.

But for a place full of those that think of themselves of being of society or class I was not impressed at all.  But this may just be who they all are?

I've traveled all across the country and I'm comparing their hospitality to everyone else, and in doing so SMU's hospitality is nonexistent.  It may be unfair but this is still the south.  It's ok to be nice to your visitors.

LSU fans will call you Tiger bait as you walk by but will offer food and drink in the same breath or in the very least welcome you to Death Valley.  You will experience the same hospitibal welcomes from the rest of the SEC, ACC, Big 11. Most of the Big 12, Sun Belt and C-USA.

But at SMU it's chants of "white trash" followed by laughter, obnoxious gestures or simple stares. Nothing impressive at all from anyone wearing red, white and blue.  I wouldn't rate SMU's lack of class to the level of Texas Tech or Zero U in Norman.  But considering the potential their beautiful but small campus holds,  and a greatness that could be realized if a simple change in attitude were to occur, (which I would have thought already in place after so many years of dismal failure).... they have a ways to go to become a place of destination that an out-of-stater would wish to travel to and visit.  JMO

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I had a great time and everyone was really friendly. Except the SMU law who tried to start a fight with everyone and dropped the N bomb like 20 times in front of kids. He was promptly arrested and was very drunk.

Really cool fans other than one moron. We have morons too.I had a great time and we'll hopefully win at home next year.

• Upvote 1

I had a great time and everyone was really friendly. Except the SMU law who tried to start a fight with everyone and dropped the N bomb like 20 times in front of kids. He was promptly arrested and was very drunk.

Really cool fans other than one moron. We have morons too.I had a great time and we'll hopefully win at home next year.

You must have sat very close to me.  That kid was very scared when the letterman got right in his face, but sure started talking trash when he people separated them. 

I hope SMU takes action against him. That type of behavior should not ever be tolerated, especially from a law student. Shameful. 

• Upvote 2

The vast majority of UNT folks that I interacted with at my Boulevard tent were very friendly and cordial.  My wife is a UNT alum so we had a couple of her former classmates at our tent.  Great people.  The only two negative things that I saw was 1)a group of about five drunk UNT guys that thought it was cool to yell "43-6" as our team was doing the team walk down The Boulevard to the stadium and 2) Three UNT frat guys harassing me and my wife asking us how much debt our dad was in so that I could afford to go to college and if I enjoyed paying $250K for a quote "shitty degree".  Honestly I just laughed but after about ten minutes of it my wife suggested we move.  The other UNT folks around them were obviously embarrassed.  All in all, a great game and cool atmosphere on The Hilltop.  Can't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

• Upvote 5

The vast majority of UNT folks that I interacted with at my Boulevard tent were very friendly and cordial.  My wife is a UNT alum so we had a couple of her former classmates at our tent.  Great people.  The only two negative things that I saw was 1)a group of about five drunk UNT guys that thought it was cool to yell "43-6" as our team was doing the team walk down The Boulevard to the stadium and 2) Three UNT frat guys harassing me and my wife asking us how much debt our dad was in so that I could afford to go to college and if I enjoyed paying $250K for a quote "shitty degree".  Honestly I just laughed but after about ten minutes of it my wife suggested we move.  The other UNT folks around them were obviously embarrassed.  All in all, a great game and cool atmosphere on The Hilltop.  Can't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

This brings up a great point. You can be embarrassed about fellow fan's behavior, but do something about it. A quick "that's not cool" or "knock it off" can go a long way. 

I was, er, upset with some of the officiating yesterday, but please do not chant bull-shhh in front of opposing fans (especially the little old

ladies). It's impolite and I hope you wouldn't want some random dudes doing that in front of your grandmother. I'm happy to report that the Mean Green fans one section over stopped doing this once it was pointed out to them.

• Upvote 2

Certainly peer pressure from fellow fans can play a role in limiting some of the knuckleheads at games.  I'm all for some back and forth but we all know there is a line.  I don't think I'll ever understand the human being who goes to sporting events hoping to instigate trouble with opposing fans.  I guess some people crave altercation.  Go the game, root like hell for your team, and win/lose walk away with a bit of dignity.  You'll feel better in the morning :)

BTW, I think this Chad Morris guy is gonna be alright.  After seeing what was, in my mind, the worst SMU team ever assembled (and I'm including the 1989 all walk-on team and a winless team in 2004) to have played Baylor really tough for three quarters and then dig deep and have a great fourth quarter against UNT for an 18 point win is remarkable.  It is even more remarkable considering we've played as many freshmen in these first two games as any school in the country.  With the way we are recruiting and up tempo style of play, I think we can scratch out 5 or 6 wins this year.  The AAC isn't exactly murderers row so hopefully we can continue to improve as the season goes on.

I saw some good things from the UNT defense.  Very active.  Defensive line is athletic and has the size to hold up against CUSA teams.  The QB McNulty just never got into any groove.  SMU started to get decent pressure but there were some open throws that just didn't give his receivers a chance.  All in all, it is game one.  I think the team that has already played a game has a huge advantage in these situations.  Even an incredibly young team like SMU was able to watch film, get things corrected in practice, and play against an elite opponent like Baylor.  This was UNT's first real game action and at times it showed.  The defense was gassed in the fourth quarter and Matt Davis will make you pay if you aren't disciplined in your rush lanes.  

• Upvote 6

It seems to be a strength in group thing with them.  As we walked all across campus the white trash yells came from groups.  Later at our tailgate event many NT fans were telling similar experiences as they were making their way there.  Sad.

Rick

It seems to be a strength in group thing with them.  As we walked all across campus the white trash yells came from groups.  Later at our tailgate event many NT fans were telling similar experiences as they were making their way there.  Sad.

Rick

Very sad.  I certainly didn't enjoy getting told that all I got with my SMU degree was $250K in debt and daddy's approval but some things you just have to fight through.  Class warfare abounds :)

I certainly didn't enjoy getting told that all I got with my SMU degree was $250K in debt and daddy's approval but some things you just have to fight through.  Class warfare abounds :)

That's a hell of a lot of words to spit  out as a slam.  Was there a code pink protest on campus or something I missed?

And you shouldn't have to fight through anything since you know it's not true, right?

Rick

• Upvote 1

That's a hell of a lot of words to spit  out as a slam.  Was there a code pink protest on campus or something I missed?

And you shouldn't have to fight through anything since you know it's not true, right?

Rick

Fight through as in sit through some drunk clown throw out stereotypes to make himself feel better.  

I had a great time but I was not looking for issues. I was just offered beer on the Boulevard and the SMU fans hoped to have a better showing then they did last year. I was not really in the student areas of tailgating but that is what that is. Mouthy students drinking gets all kinds of results 

Edited by KingDL1