Should Coach Mac....

H-towngreen

Should Coach Mac  

107 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, with where we are as a football team in year 5 under Coach Mac, should he be fired?

• Yes
    • No

Get out of here with that crap....

you want to be pissed?  that's fine. go be pissed. But don't drag these athletes under your bus because you can't keep your emotions in check.

If you don't know what college athletes have to endure in order to maintain that scholarship- I don't really think you're qualified to make such statements.  That's BS.  Enough.

You missed the point. I was not disparaging the kids, I was disparaging your comment.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

SHOULD he?  maybe.
WILL he?

tumblr_ln4ml61TkK1qg1srq.gif

Which one of you rich guys will be fronting the money for this buyout?

Sadly/unfairly, Chico is being set up to take the fall here.   His contract is up at the end of this season.  His buyout (if someone wanted to "send a message") is significantly cheaper than McCarney's.

All of you saying Chico's playcalling is the issue here obviously do not remember his time as interim HC.  This is clearly not his playcalling.

Agreed. During Chico's short run, he turned around a terrible Dodge group and won some games, including a great game with K State to close down Fouts. What we run under Mac isn't Canale's preferred offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You missed the point. I was not disparaging the kids, I was disparaging your comment.

THE  comment was made in defense of kids that may never walk right again.   The comment was made in defense of  some of these kids that may not be ones that you swoon over but kill themselves DAILY just to go out there and pretend to be SMU or RICE weekly on Scout teams  knowing that regardless of how far they push their bodies they may never make it out on the G. D. field.  Your comment, sir... was nothing less than a rip at our players.   

UnCALLED for.

Whether you feel that some of these kids are deserving or not  to go out there and get their ass kicked by SMU-  they are here and convinced on a daily basis to go out there and push themselves  with risk of permanent injury and a crapload of pain in order to maintain a FREE I EDUCATION at North Texas.   But make no mistake -  it's NOT FREE.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

SHOULD he?  maybe.
WILL he?

Sadly/unfairly, Chico is being set up to take the fall here.   His contract is up at the end of this season.  His buyout (if someone wanted to "send a message") is significantly cheaper than McCarney's.

All of you saying Chico's playcalling is the issue here obviously do not remember his time as interim HC.  This is clearly not his playcalling.

I agree throughly Chico is not the problem. In fact he could be the solution if Mac took that muzzle off of him and let him truly run the offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh ok so we won a bowl game with "McCarney's offense" so we should be good right?

Canales is the one in the booth watching the field and reacting to the game. 

He's not sitting up there thinking "oh gosh, ol' Dan doesn't want me to pass downfield."

They have watched SMU tape, determined weaknesses, know their own weaknesses, develop a game plan, and adjust accordingly. 

In the end, Canales is the one sending down plays. There's no time in there for McCarney to interject in-game. 

• Upvote 1

SHOULD he?  maybe.
WILL he?

I coach with a former unt QB and he pretty much stated the same thing. Chico wants to open up the play book but McCarney won't let him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

There was a particular play where I believe we had a 3rd and 20 on our own 35.  I'm thinking to myself, "You know, let's say we take a hail mary shot right down the field.  Worst thing that can happen is it gets intercepted.  But if that happens, it's really not much worse than a punt, but it's got a LOT more upside."

Nope.  Handoff up the middle for a couple yards then punt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Mac could make a great figure head as our head coach.  He just needs to completely step away from the offense, and for that matter defense and special teams.  Focus on recruiting and hiring great coordinators.

If he is not willing to do this, then he should do the right thing and think about retiring or taking a leave of absence.

• Upvote 2

I don't think I can go as far as to say Mac should be fired. I think he is a great defensive minded coach, and his staff also does a great job with special teams. In most respects Mac is a very good head coach, but I don;t think he should micromanage the offense. His problem is he is the exact opposite of Mike Leach. Leach was an offensive wizard, but was never able to field a respectable defense at Texas Tech. I wish RV or someone with the authority would step in and take the offensive responsibilities away from Mac and let Chico run it his way. Give Canales a game to run his offense. I remember some great shuttle passes and play action stuff in his 5 games at the helm. Let him name the offensive starters and run his playbook against Iowa. If we did that, then I'd call it an opportunity game. At this point what could it hurt.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I can go as far as to say Mac should be fired. I think he is a great defensive minded coach, and his staff also does a great job with special teams. In most respects Mac is a very good head coach, but I don;t think he should micromanage the offense. His problem is he is the exact opposite of Mike Leach. Leach was an offensive wizard, but was never able to field a respectable defense at Texas Tech. I wish RV or someone with the authority would step in and take the offensive responsibilities away from Mac and let Chico run it his way. Give Canales a game to run his offense. I remember some great shuttle passes and play action stuff in his 5 games at the helm. Let him name the offensive starters and run his playbook against Iowa. If we did that, then I'd call it an opportunity game. At this point what could it hurt.

Do you know that for sure? Because Canale's play calling fits his past. Look him up. And I never saw that as a comment against Mac. I only found Mac was too loyal to his assistants to the point of not knowing when he needs to get rid of them. 

Just stop with this mentality.

Please.

We are not "stuck" with anything, unless the BOR chooses to stick us with it. We can afford to buy out DMac, Benford, and RV if we care enough to do so. 

So stop with the "whoa is us because we are so so poor" pity party. It simply isn't true.

Agree.  At such time as athletic success becomes important to the BOR, we will start to see athletic success.  Any glimpses that you might see before that (2013), are just the law of averages working in our favor.

• Upvote 1

THE  comment was made in defense of kids that may never walk right again.   The comment was made in defense of  some of these kids that may not be ones that you swoon over but kill themselves DAILY just to go out there and pretend to be SMU or RICE weekly on Scout teams  knowing that regardless of how far they push their bodies they may never make it out on the G. D. field.  Your comment, sir... was nothing less than a rip at our players.   

UnCALLED for.

Whether you feel that some of these kids are deserving or not  to go out there and get their ass kicked by SMU-  they are here and convinced on a daily basis to go out there and push themselves  with risk of permanent injury and a crapload of pain in order to maintain a FREE I EDUCATION at North Texas.   But make no mistake -  it's NOT FREE.

This is why family members shouldn't get on boards. You aren't really defending these "kids." You're taking his comment personally and you are lashing out to defend John. Let's be serious...

Where is Andrew McNulty at right now 5 years after graduating high school if THIS staff didn't offer him? Riddle me that. 

There was a particular play where I believe we had a 3rd and 20 on our own 35.  I'm thinking to myself, "You know, let's say we take a hail mary shot right down the field.  Worst thing that can happen is it gets intercepted.  But if that happens, it's really not much worse than a punt, but it's got a LOT more upside."

Nope.  Handoff up the middle for a couple yards then punt.

I don't mind that approach on 3rd & 20 in a close game. I mean sure, run a screen or something to at least give your guys a shot of breaking a play for a 1st down, but that doesn't bother me. What bothers is recovering the muffed punt on the road early in the game we run the exact or similar form of the same play 3 straight times conceding to the world that no QB improvement has actually been made and indirectly telling every smart fan worth his/her salt that we are getting ready to witness an entire year of the same exact ugly bullshit. That's the kind of stuff that bothers me.

My wife knows little about football. Midway through the 2nd quarter she looked at me and said why do we keep running the same run play over and over when it's not working. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

SHOULD he?  maybe.
WILL he?

Buy out  Mac's contract and allow Chico to run it his way. His interim stretch post Dodge was brilliant.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1