UNT working on game at Texas A&M

Harry

Rather play A&M than travel out of state to play a "big time" P5.  but let's not forget that A&M are not the darlings of Texas right now.  Why can't we schedule games with Baylor or TCU?  Texas Tech is an option too.  Heck, schedule Houston again.

I have always been against playing Texas State University-San Marcos, but maybe it's a good time to start up a series with them.  Probably be some decent crowds at both venues.  Beats Lamar and what the SBC school is in San Antonio we have scheduled.  Our Lady of the Lake, whatever.

• Upvote 3

Their game day atmosphere is pretty awesome...

​I'm not interested in their game day atmosphere. I'm interested in enhancing/improving OUR game day atmosphere. We need our promotions and spirit groups to really bust their butts promoting spirit before and during the game. And we need our damn Band to act like a REAL football band.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

​a 3-1?  ​That would be awful.  

And if you like the 5-game home schedules, we could schedule a bunch of 2-1's.    The idea of a 2-1 is good, until you start looking at the future.

You're not understanding. We already schedule 3-0 and 2-0's. I'm suggesting we stop doing that and only agree to those of we get a home game back

• Upvote 4

You're not understanding. We already schedule 3-0 and 2-0's. I'm suggesting we stop doing that and only agree to those of we get a home game back

​I'm not sure what you mean when you say we're scheduling 3-0's?   The 2-0 you're referring to is probably Iowa?

The idea behind scheduling 2-1's is that you don't get paid for the 2 games because of the 1 game "Team X" is gracing your presence with.

Here's the thing though...  The 2-0 with Iowa are 2 games where we're getting 2 paychecks worth over $1.5million total.  These paychecks are critical to balancing budget in the AD at this time.  It's sad.  But that's the reality.
If we're to schedule a 2-1 with Iowa, we get $ZERO for 2 years (eating the cost of travel both years as well), and we get the gate at Apogee for the Iowa game... which, even if sold out, is nowhere near $1.5million.

We understanding?

• Upvote 4

​I'm not sure what you mean when you say we're scheduling 3-0's?   The 2-0 you're referring to is probably Iowa?
The idea behind scheduling 2-1's is that you don't get paid for the 2 games because of the 1 game "Team X" is gracing your presence with.

Here's the thing though...  The 2-0 with Iowa are 2 games where we're getting 2 paychecks worth over $1.5million total.  These paychecks are critical to balancing budget in the AD at this time.  It's sad.  But that's the reality.
If we're to schedule a 2-1 with Iowa, we get $ZERO for 2 years (eating the cost of travel both years as well), and we get the gate at Apogee for the Iowa game... which, even if sold out, is nowhere near $1.5million.

We understanding?

​Depending on the contract, sometimes you pay for the travel expense (a pre-agreed upon amount) for the other team, so there is even a possibility that you lose money on these games if the revenue from the game doesn't exceed the cost for the other teams travel.

I would love to see a 1-and-1 with A&M, but would be buying tickets if we were just playing in College Station anyways. What I'm afraid of if a 1-and-1 happens is A&M taking over Apogee, and because UNT isn't always a first-choice school, I bet there's a large group of UNT students that actually support the Aggies more than the Mean Green.

ATM wouldn't neccecarily take over Apogee. A way they could is if UNT charged students for a game of this magnitude and then sold the remaining tickets to the general public. Then an ATM takeover would be inevitable. If this didn't happen then the game would probably be a UNT student takeover.  

• Downvote 1

Apogee couldn't handle the crowd for Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, or LSU. The only reason Ford Stadium could host A&m or Tech is because SMU doesn't have enough fans to buy up the tickets. The Dentonites would flock to a game against a marquee name like that. Hell, get an SWC private school in here and the crowd is way above normal, whether its been TCU, SMU, Baylor, or Rice. To play any of those schools here, you'd have to do what we did back in the late 97 , which is play them in the Metroplex at a bigger venue.

Again, for the umpteenth time, if you need a money game, play someone else besides regional P5 powers with tons of fans. Any B1G school will do, as will any Pac school, or ACC school. Unless the school is north of the Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee border, do not schedule them. If north or west of this area, then go for it.

i don't think i'd want A&M coming to UNT... they would easily take over the stadium... there is a ton of Old Ags in DFW with deep pockets, and if you think our AD wouldn't want to sell out a game at home AND also be able to triple normal ticket prices... you are crazy... 

any A&M fan would gladly pay $70 to see A&M play... even in Denton...

• Upvote 1

I would love to see a 1-and-1 with A&M, but would be buying tickets if we were just playing in College Station anyways. What I'm afraid of if a 1-and-1 happens is A&M taking over Apogee, and because UNT isn't always a first-choice school, I bet there's a large group of UNT students that actually support the Aggies more than the Mean Green.

​The last time we were the home team against A$M was at Texas Stadium in 1997 and they DID take over, even though we were the home team. They didn't bring their full band and still played louder than our band and their band was obnoxious enough to start playing the same time as our band for most of the game. 

Two things. If the game tickets are the same price as this last seasons UT game, AND if our band does not make the trip, then no thanks. I'll just add the price of the A$M ticket to my MGC donation.

On a related matter. I don't understand the reason for our band becoming a bloated 400 member unit. It makes no sense. The Green Brigades of the Winslow/Fisher era would regularly out play and out perform any band they came up against and they had only 200 to 250 members. Maurice McAdow did it with 125.

Personally I think that bloating the band up to 400 is nothing more than a pathetic move to fill-in empty space in the stands over on the student side and (hopefully) bring in the friends and family of those new extra 150+ students. Since the quality of the performance has not gotten better, or noticeably louder I can come to no other conclusion. 

Plus you can find the money in your budget for a 250 member band to go to out of town games easier than a 400 member band. Which leads me to the conclusion that our current band director is not really interested in taking the band to out of town games. Any more than he's interested in our band putting on a grand entrance for pre-game and half time.

In other words, he doesn't care if our Band is a football game spirit organization. He doesn't prioritize showmanship and getting the crowd pumped and ready for the game......which is what all other REAL football band do. 

• Upvote 3

​The last time we were the home team against A$M was at Texas Stadium in 1997 and they DID take over, even though we were the home team. They didn't bring their full band and still played louder than our band and their band was obnoxious enough to start playing the same time as our band for most of the game. 

Two things. If the game tickets are the same price as this last seasons UT game, AND if our band does not make the trip, then no thanks. I'll just add the price of the A$M ticket to my MGC donation.

On a related matter. I don't understand the reason for our band becoming a bloated 400 member unit. It makes no sense. The Green Brigades of the Winslow/Fisher era would regularly out play and out perform any band they came up against and they had only 200 to 250 members. Maurice McAdow did it with 125.

Personally I think that bloating the band up to 400 is nothing more than a pathetic move to fill-in empty space in the stands over on the student side and (hopefully) bring in the friends and family of those new extra 150+ students. Since the quality of the performance has not gotten better, or noticeably louder I can come to no other conclusion. 

Plus you can find the money in your budget for a 250 member band to go to out of town games easier than a 400 member band. Which leads me to the conclusion that our current band director is not really interested in taking the band to out of town games. Any more than he's interested in our band putting on a grand entrance for pre-game and half time.

In other words, he doesn't care if our Band is a football game spirit organization. He doesn't prioritize showmanship and getting the crowd pumped and ready for the game......which is what all other REAL football band do. 

When you say out play and put perform do you mean that they played a more intricate classical piece or they played uptempo, foot stomping, hand clapping, get the crowd into it type music? After all, it is a football game, not a Symphony. 

Edited by GreenMachine
Error

It's seriously short sided to not want an SEC school at Apogee. It's small mindedness that UNT is where it is today. Always wishing for more...

I for one would love to see a big name come to town. Even if we lose. People might actually see Denton is a blast, we have great facilities, and a nice campus. It's good for the university and city. Want Denton residents to come to games? Give them a reason because five home games with one being Portland State is zero incentive.

I hate us playing Portland State at home instead of Oregon State. We use to schedule teams like that but stopped for some odd reason. A&M came up here to play us at Texas Stadium. They wouldn't come play at Fouts because it was trash and I didn't blame them or anyone else. We have great facilities now. What's the excuse this year? 

• Upvote 4

Screw playing them tough, beat them. GMG

​Exactly. I don't understand all the sad faces. This is a good game and we'll get paid. Plus it's a great place to see a game and their fans, while somewhat delusional and ever-fantatical, are some of the nicest and most accommodating in college football. I'm in for a game at A&M. I'll be there in green. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

If we were to eliminate the money game and instead replace it wit a P5 h&h and another G5 h&h, we would need to make the p5 game day ticket $75+, probably restrict student attendance in exchange for available tickets (may have to guarantee 15k available seats to someone like a$m), and our season ticket package would have to go way up (~50%). 

I'm game.  

Do college games at Jerry World charge NFL game prices with $100 parking, $90 slices of pizza, and for all I know, $25 to use the urinal?

I can't support Jerry World.  I just can't. 

I wish someone who used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home would find the 2 meter wide thermal exhaust port in that thing.

I think our band does a decent job. The drumline does a great performance right in front of the student section before the second half starts every home game. I do wish they would be a little more creative in their music choices and marching. 

I don't want to disappoint everyone by not commenting on your comment. I'll say this for the umpteenth (or more) time. When our band gets into it's halftime"show" after getting onto the field, they are pretty much without peer. Since they are (supposedly) the best band in at least the southwest, shouldn't their entrance reflect that? For years I've posted numerous examples of other bands like this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzIh2AjZszsm or this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TVcKYpZrj0... but our band can't even make as good an entrance as the Alma College "Kiltie" Band......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9ySGhJzZI.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People forget that we almost beat them one of the last times we met. It was at Texas Stadium and our punt returner fumbled the ball and we lost the game. They aren't invincible. Nate Newton and Micheal Irving were in our locker room at half time getting everyone pumped up. They were on our sideline cheering for us. They didn't like A&M at all. It's the kind of team we should schedule. 

It's seriously short sided to not want an SEC school at Apogee. It's small mindedness that UNT is where it is today. Always wishing for more...

I for one would love to see a big name come to town. Even if we lose. People might actually see Denton is a blast, we have great facilities, and a nice campus. It's good for the university and city. Want Denton residents to come to games? Give them a reason because five home games with one being Portland State is zero incentive.

I hate us playing Portland State at home instead of Oregon State. We use to schedule teams like that but stopped for some odd reason. A&M came up here to play us at Texas Stadium. They wouldn't come play at Fouts because it was trash and I didn't blame them or anyone else. We have great facilities now. What's the excuse this year? 

I do wonder what happened to the Oregon States and Baylors that used to come up to Fouts.  Someone on the level of A&M though, we simply don't have the stadium capacity.  Kyle Field has a capacity of 102,512.  Average attendance in 2014 per CBS Sports was 104,298.  Apogee has a capacity of 30,000.  Without moving down to the Death Star, which I'm thoroughly against, how is that gonna work?

I do wonder what happened to the Oregon States and Baylors that used to come up to Fouts.  Someone on the level of A&M though, we simply don't have the stadium capacity.  Kyle Field has a capacity of 102,512.  Average attendance in 2014 per CBS Sports was 104,298.  Apogee has a capacity of 30,000.  Without moving down to the Death Star, which I'm thoroughly against, how is that gonna work?

True, Apogee isn't big but then again not all their away games are played at mammoth stadiums. They have played at stadiums the size of Apogee. I don't see a 1 and 1 but bigger teams might agree to a 2 and 1. I'd love to see us play Baylor again though. They'd kill us but I'd love to play them.

And there are quite a few probably in the same boat. 

It is definitely a catch 22.  

Contractually they could do it.

The contribution of this Gift entitles the Donor to purchase annual tickets for the use of two (2), Silver Level Club Seats in the Football Stadium.  The right to purchase annual tickets for the use of two (2), Silver club level seats will continue for as long as this Agreement is in effect, Donor pays the annual ticket prices for seats, Donor maintains membership in the Mean Green Club at the required level and Donor complies with all rules and regulations of the University related to club seating.   

Note that there is no set amount for the "Mean Green Club at the required level" nor is there a set ticket price.  But were they to do that, say double the Mean Green Club contribution level, I think they would lose a lot of friends.  I don't think they'd fare much better in the lower bowl by either raising Mean Green Club levels or raising ticket prices.  We're a pretty frugal bunch at Apogee.

So yes, the catch 22 is that we need more money to win, but we need to win to make the tickets more valuable.  I've no reasonable answer for this, and "RAISE THE STUDENT FEE!" is not the reasonable answer.  
  • Upvote 2

Multiple North Texas officials confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the school is working on a deal with Texas A&M to schedule a nonconference football game.

The contract for the game is in the approval process. Information on the season and date for the game were unavailable.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/unt-officials-confirm-deal-in-works-for-game-with-texas-am.html/#sthash.kujkj0dL.dpuf

I really really wish I'd saved the Dallas Morning News article back when RV was hired.   He made a specific point to say "we're not going to be scheduling so many body-bag games in the future".  I think it comes down to operating budget per year, and they need to factor in some large amount of cash that we get from the payout.   Seems we will never get past this method of operation.