Why Andrew McNulty could be North Texas' most important player

GOMG2013

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/conference-usa/2015/3/20/8240321/why-andrew-mcnulty-could-be-north-texas-most-important-player

"But McNulty is a lot like Thompson in that he can be pretty good with the right pieces around him, or he can at least make North Texas average on offense. The same can't be said for the other quarterbacks on the roster."

Andrew McNulty is not going to beat UNT with mistakes. He will also not win games we shouldn't win. If our defense can return to its 2013 form McNulty could probably get us back to a winning season and bowl but without Orr, Akunne etc that is a BIG if.

If our defense can return to its 2013 form McNulty could probably get us back to a winning season and bowl but without Orr, Akunne etc that is a BIG if.

I think the 2013 defense was one of those decade teams, or even more. We just don't have the talent on the roster to garner a top 25 vote again (which I attribute to that 2013 defense) in 2015.

McNulty can be solid at times, and can put the ball in some highlight-worthy windows. He just doesn't always win those windows. He also has lapses of vision. But that kid is tough. He doesn't necessarily have a pop-gun arm, but he sometimes does have trouble delivering a clean ball downfield.

I have no problem dinking and dunking as long as our receivers stop dropping balls, and McNulty doesn't get too aggressive (that's right I said too aggressive) trying to zip the ball in places he shouldn't.

The UTSA game really sums up 2014 McNulty's strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully he's working hard to address those weaknesses.

Here's the thing.... Shanbour.

That guy is CRAZY talented and smart. If he is given an opportunity- he's the guy. From my understanding- he's healthy and ready to go.

He learned the play book in 1 WEEK and was doing hand signals for coaches on the sidelines.

HE IS THE ONE TO WATCH.

• Upvote 3

i want to believe you, but i cant shake the 2012 troy game. that was my first live unt game, and wow...gotta be top 3 worst games for a unt qb in the last 3 years.

I never said he was great. And his 2012 season especially had its low moments, like the Troy game and the Western KY game. But McNulty is wholly incapable of delivering a performance like Thompson did in the 2nd half of 2013 Ball State, or in the HOD Bowl.

You don't have to "want to believe" me, it's objective fact.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/481027/derek-thompson

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515147/andrew-mcnulty

That guy is CRAZY talented and smart. If he is given an opportunity- he's the guy. From my understanding- he's healthy and ready to go.

He learned the play book in 1 WEEK and was doing hand signals for coaches on the sidelines.

HE IS THE ONE TO WATCH.

You and SilverEagle need to hang out at the trendiest, undergroundiest of all trendy, underground places.

• Upvote 2

I never said he was great. And his 2012 season especially had its low moments, like the Troy game and the Western KY game. But McNulty is wholly incapable of delivering a performance like Thompson did in the 2nd half of 2013 Ball State, or in the HOD Bowl.

You don't have to "want to believe" me, it's objective fact.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/481027/derek-thompson

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515147/andrew-mcnulty

you are bringing in 2013 DT senior performances, without mcnulty having a senior season. not a fair comparison.

if its going to be a fair comparison, it would be 2012 DT vs 2014 mcnulty.

after the 2012 season, we had no idea DT would give us the second half Ball State and HOD game.

most of us thought he would be replaced.

• Upvote 1

HE IS THE ONE TO WATCH.

im hearing a lot about shanbour, but has any of his success been with pads on with contact?

im just asking. i hope he's good. im pulling for any and everybody.

HE IS THE ONE TO WATCH.

Is this your relatives' assessment or yours?

Edited by SilverEagle

You and SilverEagle need to hang out at the trendiest, undergroundiest of all trendy, underground places.

Hey, I haven't been singing exaggerated songs of praise....other people have. And to clarify, I've only made note of his incredibly fast release. Because that's all I've seen him do. But I was the one that noticed it first.......... last spring.

i want to believe you, but i cant shake the 2012 troy game. that was my first live unt game, and wow...gotta be top 3 worst games for a unt qb in the last 3 years.

That was one of my first live UNT games too. I still remember one of the opening drives of the game was a 50 through 70 yd pass by the Troy QB to score a touchdown. DT had a long night that game.

On a side note, I really don't want McNulty to be our starting QB. He's just not the guy.. I honestly just chance it with Williams again. At least the dude made the offense spark better. If what I hear about this Shanbour guy is true, I hope he will be given a chance. McNulty makes me hate watching football when he plays. I'll continue to pray that we see a different QB this season. Hopefully a young guy who can play as a starter for 2-3 more years.

• Upvote 2

That was one of my first live UNT games too. I still remember one of the opening drives of the game was a 50 through 70 yd pass by the Troy QB to score a touchdown. DT had a long night that game.

On a side note, I really don't want McNulty to be our starting QB. He's just not the guy.. I honestly just chance it with Williams again. At least the dude made the offense spark better. If what I hear about this Shanbour guy is true, I hope he will be given a chance. McNulty makes me hate watching football when he plays. I'll continue to pray that we see a different QB this season. Hopefully a young guy who can play as a starter for 2-3 more years.

The only thing I saw him sparking was our opposition's defensive TDs via pick-6's & scoop-&-score fumbles. Heckuva game VS Nicholls though!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

When Williams finally gets it through his head that he can't "free-lance" like he did in HS when he's under pressure, then maybe everything else will fall into place for him........and our program as well. But if he hasn't used his head by now..........

Otherwise I'm pulling for McNulty to get a stronger arm this spring (that would be where "Jesus could help us" the most) or Means steps up and keeps developing like he did last spring.

you are bringing in 2013 DT senior performances, without mcnulty having a senior season. not a fair comparison.

after the 2012 season, we had no idea DT would give us the second half Ball State and HOD game.

I completely agree with you. Mcnulty has not been that bad and, to this point in their careers, really has been just as good as Thompson was. I think Thompson had higher-ceiling performances than Mcnulty, but I don't think it's out of line to say that Mcnulty was more consistent as a junior.
  • Upvote 1

You are in for a severe let down if you think McNulty can be near as good as DT. He doesn't have near the arm strength of DT.

If he is the starter, and with this schedule, we are staring 3-9 dead in the face.

• Upvote 2

I completely agree with you. Mcnulty has not been that bad and, to this point in their careers, really has been just as good as Thompson was. I think Thompson had higher-ceiling performances than Mcnulty, but I don't think it's out of line to say that Mcnulty was more consistent as a junior.

Even our Head Coach disagrees with this. He says every QB was bad last year.

• Upvote 1

The stats are the comparison.

I mentioned those performances of DT not as comparisons of past performance, but simply to point out things that McNulty will never do.

• Upvote 1