Today was a fruitful one when it comes to UNT football info and tidbits. If you’ve been following along, UNT officials acknowledged that Portland State, an FCS program, will visit Apogee Stadium on Oct. 10 next season.

What I didn’t get to on the blog was the terms of the contract. UNT will pay $425,000 to bring in PSU.

I also got a chance to sit down with Dan McCarney for a few minutes for the end of the season “State of the Green” evaluation.

Here were the key news items:

– Everyone who was on UNT’s staff this season and is expected to return (everyone outside of retiring defensive coordinator John Skladany) is still around. McCarney is in the evaluation process of what went on this season and how the Mean Green can improve next year.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/12/unt-football-notes-mccarney-quotes.html/

Knew it.

Mac says Mini-Mac starter "headed into next year." I'll take that to mean headed into Spring ball.

If he names Mini-Mac starter BEFORE spring camp instead of leaving the competition open, as it has been the last 2 years, I have little hope for more than 2 wins next year.

So many warning signs in these statements.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

It takes a lot of guts to come out and say you made some mistakes. I am extremely pleased to hear this from Mac. When you realize there are some things you could have done better you are in a much better position to correct them and make improvements going forward. I found his entire message very encouraging as a fan. GMG

It takes a lot of guts to come out and say you made some mistakes. I am extremely pleased to hear this from Mac. When you realize there are some things you could have done better you are in a much better position to correct them and make improvements going forward. I found his entire message very encouraging as a fan. GMG

He said they made mistakes but didn't mention anything on how he plans to fix those issues.

• Upvote 5

It takes a lot of guts to come out and say you made some mistakes.

no it doesn't. What takes guts is to be willing to change and fix those mistakes. Every single coach admits they make mistakes. Let's see if Mac has the guts to change his out of date philosophy and make the necessary staff changes this off season.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

no it doesn't. What takes guts is to be willing to change and fix those mistakes. Every single coach admits they make mistakes. Let's see if Mac has the guts to change his out of date philosophy and make the necessary staff changes this off season.

He said on the article that there will be no staff changes.

Could he just be saying that in order to let some coaches gracefully step aside? Sure. But I don't think that is the case.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree!! Is Mac going to change pathetic approach for offense and get innovative

Two years ago at this time we were bemoaning the fact that we were stuck with Derrick Thompson as qb going into spring ball..seemed to have finally worked out just fine...maybe lightning strikes McNulty, too.

• Upvote 2

Two years ago at this time we were bemoaning the fact that we were stuck with Derrick Thompson as qb going into spring ball..seemed to have finally worked out just fine...maybe lightning strikes McNulty, too.

No it didn't work we just had a great defense and special teams the offense was bad we were just winning on the other side of the ball.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

We need to continue to bring in more speed, more talent, more size, more Division I-caliber guys.

I audibly chuckled. What's the excuse when those not ready for D1 players are your own? I blame the concrete stands.

Edit: Brownie points for not a single GD mention of some long ago national championship as a position coach at Florida. I'm kinda curious if someone finally spoke to him about that along the way.

Edited by oldguystudent

I am sure McNulty is a great kid, but this offseason his arm is not going to get stronger. He is late on alot of his throws because he knows his arm strength and doesn't trust it. He stares at receivers and at his height, that is why so many passes get batted down. He rarely keeps the ball on read options, so the running game is hamstrung against good defenses. Not fired up for next year.

• Upvote 2

Sorry. I don't accept that there is anything in DMac's statements that get us to the Conference championship. I doubt LSU fans would accept such a statement and they are 8-4, but 4-4 in conference play and Les Miles is under significant pressure. We should demand and expect more from this program... "Hit 6" doesn't do anything for me..."Hit 6" doesn't fill Apogee... "Hit 6" doesn't get us in the top 25... We need to demand more.

Lets face if the poor evaluation at QB position, the unwillingness to be innovative on offense. Hurt us. This is all on the coaches. This is what they get paid the big bucks to produce and they didn't deliver. We have talent on the field but if the coaches don't put the kids in a position to succeed we are doomed. Hence this season. Is Mac going to get innovative?? That is question I want answered. Stop talking a good game and utilize the talent you have and stop making excuses about "it's hard to recruit blah blah" w

This was some good info from Brett. A lot of things can be assumed from these comments.

I agree with one post. they pay attention to the comments on this site.

Chico will be here unless he finds another job. Its still possible because he was looking last year, and knowing McNulty (not his guy) will be his qb may help him decide to get out now.

This is not Todd Dodge who never had a winning season here. Mac led us to arguably our most successful season ever?? last season in many ways... I'm sorry but he has proven that he can assemble a good squad and win as recent as less than a year ago. Marcus Trice didn't spin a globe and choose North Texas, he was recruited to here. Cyril Lemon didn't have a flat tire and stop into the UNT AD Department for an airpump. These guys have the ability to get some good players and win.

I think some of the criticisms of Mac sound hollow whence you factor in the 9-4 season he had last year. He deserves the chance to fix an off year.