McNulty

H-towngreen

Does he have SEC interest? Just because he has attended camps of SEC schools, doesn't mean they are interested. No scholarship offers as of yet. Chico track record or not, this kid can sling it and I think he would be a great fit here. It would add to the young talent at QB. Williams, Means and Riddle? Looks like a legit squad of young gunslingers to me. If we can get someone in here that can actually develop our QB's, then the sky is the limit with these 3.

Searching around with his name it seems Florida is/was sniffing around. But then it could be his parent's marketing gimmick.

I'm just hesitant given the recent track record of the Next Big Thing/Scott Hall coming to campus then usually flaming out. So far only Thompson, and to an extent, McNulty have been able to stick it out.

Searching around with his name it seems Florida is/was sniffing around. But then it could be his parent's marketing gimmick.

I'm just hesitant given the recent track record of the Next Big Thing/Scott Hall coming to campus then usually flaming out. So far only Thompson, and to an extent, McNulty have been able to stick it out.

No "marketing gimmick". Chris had moderate interest from a variety of FBS programs before being horse-collared in a team practice breaking his fibula and requiring 3 plates and 8 screws to repair, just one week before the start of his junior campaign. After sitting out this all-important recruitment year, the interest from those schools fell off completely as most of them offered other QB's on their recruitment boards who had the opportunity to prove themselves.

Now in an all-or-nothing senior year, Chris has a lot to prove to earn an opportunity to play at the next level. Although he is un-ranked by the recruit media sites (Rivals, Scout, 247, etc.), if you take a look at his film, and you know what to look for in QB, you will see he possesses many of the qualities college coaches are looking for in a pocket-passing QB.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2464718/highlights/158367386

I appreciate your objectivity and Go Mean Green.

Edited by RiddleMeThisGT
  • Upvote 5

No "marketing gimmick". Chris had moderate interest from a variety of FBS programs before being horse-collared in a team practice breaking his fibula and requiring 3 plates and 8 screws to repair, just one week before the start of his junior campaign. After sitting out this all-important recruitment year, the interest from those schools fell off completely as most of them offered other QB's on their recruitment boards who had the opportunity to prove themselves.

Now in an all-or-nothing senior year, Chris has a lot to prove to earn an opportunity to play at the next level. Although he is un-ranked by the recruit media sites (Rivals, Scout, 247, etc.), if you take a look at his film, and you know what to look for in QB, you will see he possesses many of the qualities college coaches are looking for in a pocket-passing QB.

I am a big advocate of Chris and would absolutely love seeing him wearing green next year. I love watching his film and gets me excited if we could sign him! I just hope that this season doesn't discourage him from signing here if we offer? We are a young team and in my mind have no where to go but up. I hope Chris loves his visit in a couple of weeks and feels right at home in Texas.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am a big advocate of Chris and would absolutely love seeing him wearing green next year. I love watching his film and gets me excited if we could sign him! I just hope that this season doesn't discourage him from signing here if we offer? We are a young team and in my mind have no where to go but up. I hope Chris loves his visit in a couple of weeks and feels right at home in Texas.

Thanks for your support, Withers. I don't think the program having an off year is a deterrent for Chris. He's a realist and from the countless time he's spent talking on the phone with Canales over the last 6 months, I think he realizes there is a lot of potential and upside at NT. He's looking forward to the visit and I'm looking forward to some Texas BBQ!

• Upvote 2

How is he now? After the injury? Has it messed up his mechanics? Strength? Power? Accuracy?

One of the thing that bugs me is when people say, "oh if we just do this or that, we'll be a lot better off". When I got into coaching that's one of the first things I found out. It ain't that simple. We had a situation one year exactly like the one Mac is dealing with here. We had lost some really good seniors from the previous year's team and although we had some good young players on the team, they were just that, young. We finished that year with a 5-5 record and all of a sudden according to some of the fans we didn't have a damn clue what we were doing even though we had gone 12-1 the year before. We worked our asses off in off-season right along with the kids and went 13-1. We moved the ball and scored and could consistently stop people. What was the difference? We returned a lot of experienced players that we didn't have the year before. They were bigger, faster and more confident. I think Mac and the coaches are just as disappointed as any of you guys are. I think this off-season will determine how this program moves forward. If the returning players buy in you're probably going to like what you see next year. Mac hasn't all of a sudden become a bad coach. He's got young players this year that will be better next year.

Please post more often. Not even kidding. Please.

• Upvote 2

One of the thing that bugs me is when people say, "oh if we just do this or that, we'll be a lot better off". When I got into coaching that's one of the first things I found out. It ain't that simple. We had a situation one year exactly like the one Mac is dealing with here. We had lost some really good seniors from the previous year's team and although we had some good young players on the team, they were just that, young. We finished that year with a 5-5 record and all of a sudden according to some of the fans we didn't have a damn clue what we were doing even though we had gone 12-1 the year before. We worked our asses off in off-season right along with the kids and went 13-1. We moved the ball and scored and could consistently stop people. What was the difference? We returned a lot of experienced players that we didn't have the year before. They were bigger, faster and more confident. I think Mac and the coaches are just as disappointed as any of you guys are. I think this off-season will determine how this program moves forward. If the returning players buy in you're probably going to like what you see next year. Mac hasn't all of a sudden become a bad coach. He's got young players this year that will be better next year.

So..the guys who have been here three or four years waiting to start, they haven't "bought in" yet?

Odd.

If so, here's to hoping Mac recruits a class full of kids who buy in from the first day they set foot on campus.

Now, coach, explain the experienced offensive line not being able to block this year to us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So..the guys who have been here three or four years waiting to start, they haven't "bought in" yet?

Odd.

If so, here's to hoping Mac recruits a class full of kids who buy in from the first day they set foot on campus.

Now, coach, explain the experienced offensive line not being able to block this year to us.

ouch facts can be a real b***h sometimes.

Nice post calling out the young BS

Or explain the secondary flaws, lack of recruiting, departing players, OL struggles, nonexistent DL, incompetence at QB, terrible play calling and game management, etc. etc. etc. We may be inexperienced, but we are not a young team. But then I have to ask why are we so inexperienced while winning 6 games by 22 points or more last year. We did not rotate near enough players in those games and preparing for the future sure as hell wasn't even a thought. With 6 blowout wins last year our starters this year should have extensive playing time under their belts. Again, we are not young. Go look at the 2-deep. We are inexperienced and that as well can be blamed on the coaching staff. But even then, inexperience might just be scratching the surface to our problems.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Ive never been a big believer in experience. I am big believer in development. As we are seeing with the entire team, an experienced OL doesn't make the offense any better since its leader is a bunch of non-developed QBs. On the defense, the developed talent is just not there. We just have to hope that the developed talent shows up next year from the disaster that this year has offered. We don't have any choice here--we have to give Mac the time to fix his staff issues, give these guys more time to get stronger and smarter, and pray it gets better. Because if it doesn't, we are not just gonna have a losing season this year--its gonna be every year until Mac leaves, which won't be until 2017 at the earliest. If we know anything around here, it is that we aren't buying out any contract for more than a year with the kind of salary McCarney draws here. No way the BOR will pay over a million dollars to buy anyone out. And, frankly, if we did that, we would probably hire someone like Chico to be the coach, an unknown assistant that wouldn't cost much. We know that recipe doesn't work here at all...

• Upvote 1

But then I have to ask why are we so inexperienced while winning 6 games by 22 points or more last year. We did not rotate near enough players in those games and preparing for the future sure as hell wasn't even a thought. With 6 blowout wins last year our starters this year should have extensive playing time under their belts.

This is the biggest problem I have with Mac. Plenty of posters were saying the same thing. I remember FFR saying it the most about starters saying in the game.

Is it his lack of trust of young players? Is it his Al or nothing approach? You have to know everything about the position before you are even considered an option. That is too old school if that is the case.

We may have some immature players, but that is the way these kids are now a days. There has to be some balance. Jamal marshal and sir Wallace had decent spring games in 2013. That should have earned them some reps. Sure they had some maturity issues, but its not like you are asking them to start. Its mop up duty in a blowout. Now we are forced to play them and they have to learn on the fly. They have shown the physical ability, so they should have been getting reps.

Another reason the starters may have played so much was due to stats. To make sure some players get all conference honors, they needed to get stats. Especially since this was the only winning season. Also wanted to get some seniors that havent played much some reps.

Big point there by Ben. We all said it a lot last year..."Why is _________ still in the game?!" UTEP and SMiss definitely come to mind when we were baffled as to why starters were in the game so late. I use so many examples when we're watching here in AZ to show the difference between us and some of the schools that reload quickly after graduating their starters...Baylor and Oregon come to mind. They have a couple of close games each year but what, 8-10 blowout wins? So next year's starters have already played 8-10 half-games because once their starters get a 30-point lead by halftime, they get the other guys in. And I don't think it's by accident that it works out that way. Put a ton of points on the board, then get some rest. You don't risk your current starters by playing them too much, and you get next year's guys just as much playing time as this year's starters so they have tons of experience after 1-2 years of playing 2 full quarters of mop-up duty in almost every game.

• Upvote 2

Man, are we talking smack mouth trash talk today or what ? We all need to grab a football and go have a beer, game of flag football, another beer , and laugh our brains out. Then we'll have all the right solutions for Mac and the boys. Oh well, forget the footballs, some cold brews couldn't hurt though, beats a 2 - 6 record.

• Upvote 1

Not really smack talk. Factual concerns. Winning by 3 td's and ALL of your starters are still in the game in the 4th Q. I literally don't care if we lose the remaining 4 games. I want to see young guys getting plenty of reps from this point on. I wouldn't even care if Mac used that as his next excuse on in the post game press as long as the younger guys are actually getting the reps. There is nothing to salvage at this point. 4-8 = 2-10, get your young'ns playing time and prepare for next year. Doing anything else is stubborn stupidity.

• Downvote 1

My thought, Mac is going to play for the win remainder of this year. But it sounds like he has already opened the PR door for more rotation. I think QB will get resolved by next year, but DL and secondary keep me awake. The OL doesn't trouble me so much because if you can't throw a pass, you're not going to run the ball - our QBs have had time but they're not ready for prime time. Beer and dogs are on me next time boys.

One thing's for certain: I wanna see Lairamie Lee hitting a lot more people in these last 4 games of his career with us.

I think QB will get resolved by next year, but DL and secondary keep me awake.

Another point to the whole reps/starters/back-ups/blowups situation is getting real-game experience - even if it's "just" mop-up duty is it helps programs "reload" rather than "rebuild" because they're constantly pushing players to perform as best they can so they get better reps than only mop-up reps.

It's the biggest knock I have on Mac as coach - he seems stuck in old-school, old-fashioned, and conservative ways that don't help the team or squad and shows how much we're left behind.

You just have to look at Snyder in K-State to see how an old coach can continue to reinvent himself to stay relevant and run a successful program.

• Upvote 1