McNulty

H-towngreen

Remember when I told you that this team would miss the great Derek Thompson?

Remember when I said that before the season started?

Remember when you disagreed?

Remember?

Remember?

I can't decide what UNT90 wants to give DT more....a Swedish massage or a western grip handjob

Edited by meangreen15
  • Downvote 2

Driving the bus with Minimac is good for about 20 points every week, which will not win us another game this year.

I am not sure where we are going from here, but I bet DW will not start another game for us.

I would rather go 2-10 and be ready to go next year vs going 5-7 or 6-6 by some small miracle and not knowing what we have going into next year at the QB position.

Technically, the offense only scored 14 points this week. 7 was from special teams.

• Upvote 1

We'd still be 2-6 with DT at QB. The losses would have just been closer.

My enthusiasm for this program is lower than it ever was when Dodge was here. I look at our roster and I don't see anything to give me hope that things are going to turn around. We are undersized not just against P5 schools, but against our own conference! Which blows a hole through McCarney's pity party "it's hard to recruit to UNT" excuse. Schools like Rice, Marshall, and Houston fight the same uphill battles as we do, but they somehow manage to field competitive teams every year. Hearing McCarney make excuses for his poor recruiting instead of owning it pissed me off and leaves me questioning wether or not he's the man for this job.

• Upvote 2

We might have won what one more game with DT? There are more problems than QB on the offense. If you are going to miss someone on the offense I miss Brelan Chancellor. DT was tough but not a great QB.

What I said preseason was that we would miss DT and this thing had the possibility to become exactly what it has become, a disaster.

Nowhere did I say he was the greatest QB of all time ever. What he did was get the most out of the god given talent that he had. Unfortunately that trait appears not to have translated to the one QB on the roster with the ability to play at this level. And that's a shame.

Edited by UNT90

UNT90, on 26 Oct 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:snapback.png

What I said preseason

I thought you said we need to kill the fire ants around our tailgate area?

There's definitely some stuff I've found this summer that kills the queen, kills the mound, doesn't stink, and if you use it in enough places, makes any remaining fire ants move and become your neighbors problem. Let me know if you need the product name.

• Upvote 2

The whole thing is a mess. Why are we having a thread with one guy's name in it other Dan McCarney? I'm more concerned about missed tackles, inability to cover, and guys not getting off blocks. We didn't see much of that last year. The head coach is ultimately responsible for all this. Maybe some players aren't so great, but who picked and trained them? Maybe they're not giving all they can; who motivates them? That recruiting rant could have been written by Dickey and made me sick. At least the nut up there at OK State said 'I'm a Man!!' Then I see smu waving around $4 million. Even if we had that, does it make any sense? Would it even make sure we never got beat 82-27? It's madness. I live over here in the middle of SEC country. It's madness. I think it IS a real pain recruiting from the bottom of a long totem pole that includes Big 12 and SEC schools. We had an up year. Now we're having a really down year. Continuing the parade of QBs isn't going to change it. I don't even know what to expect anymore. Maybe next year will be better. Over the long haul we have a terrible program, with occasional - and relatively brief - runs of success. It really would take 'transformational leadership' to change that. I don't see it coming. Don't be putting all that on one player or position.

• Upvote 4

At the mid-major level teams that are good one year tend to fall off the next. UNT just doesn't have the depth that a team like A&M or LSU has. We lost a lot from last year's bowl team & there was no reason to think that wouldn't have an effect on the win-loss column this year.

North Texas will be better next year & even better the year after. In other words - the anguished wails are silly.

• Upvote 1

At the mid-major level teams that are good one year tend to fall off the next. UNT just doesn't have the depth that a team like A&M or LSU has. We lost a lot from last year's bowl team & there was no reason to think that wouldn't have an effect on the win-loss column this year.

North Texas will be better next year & even better the year after. In other words - the anguished wails are silly.

A&M certainly hasn't matched up to last year either....nor has Baylor.

No, everyone with a brain in his head misses DT. Everyone else keeps replaying the Nicholls State game in their mind.

Delusional memory helps with that, or highly selective skipping all the games DT lost for us over the years? Cause there were a bunch of them, even last year. My brain tells me that DT has no more eligibility he is long gone. His best games were as a 5th year senior and he still was bad in several of those. Bailed out by Defense and special teams. Did you watch the games? He had heart and toughness I will give him that..

Delusional memory helps with that, or highly selective skipping all the games DT lost for us over the years? Cause there were a bunch of them, even last year. My brain tells me that DT has no more eligibility he is long gone. His best games were as a 5th year senior and he still was bad in several of those. Bailed out by Defense and special teams. Did you watch the games? He had heart and toughness I will give him that..

People forget, he was damn near beat out by a freshman Dajon Williams to start the year.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

True dat.

Maybe it's the 75 scholarship limit. Even OU, UT, & most other biggies have to rebuild now rather than just reload.

But unlike us, they still win while they are rebuilding. Having to rebuild in year 4 is absolutely disheartening and really inexcusable. Year 4 of a regime is not and nor should it ever be a "rebuild" type season.
  • Downvote 2

The whole thing is a mess. Why are we having a thread with one guy's name in it other Dan McCarney? I'm more concerned about missed tackles, inability to cover, and guys not getting off blocks. We didn't see much of that last year. The head coach is ultimately responsible for all this. Maybe some players aren't so great, but who picked and trained them? Maybe they're not giving all they can; who motivates them? That recruiting rant could have been written by Dickey and made me sick. At least the nut up there at OK State said 'I'm a Man!!' Then I see smu waving around $4 million. Even if we had that, does it make any sense? Would it even make sure we never got beat 82-27? It's madness. I live over here in the middle of SEC country. It's madness. I think it IS a real pain recruiting from the bottom of a long totem pole that includes Big 12 and SEC schools. We had an up year. Now we're having a really down year. Continuing the parade of QBs isn't going to change it. I don't even know what to expect anymore. Maybe next year will be better. Over the long haul we have a terrible program, with occasional - and relatively brief - runs of success. It really would take 'transformational leadership' to change that. I don't see it coming. Don't be putting all that on one player or position.

I'm not sure how anyone missed this or hasn't replied, but AV, this is one of your best posts ever.

The totem pole is just so damn high--and we are so damn low on it. AV's point is that we aren't ever going higher on that totem pole as a program unless the leadership here decides they want to do that. And that has been proven over the decades that it doesn't matter who the coach is--if they cannot get held accountable to a winning standard, by being rewarded for winning and fired for losing, instead of being held accountable to their contract's buyout costs, then our place on that totem pole, and the inherent issues that come with them (poor recruiting, dismal reputation with parents and HS coaches, apathy amongst the potential fanbase, etc..) will never change. The only time in the school's history that it ALMOST changed was in the 70s with Hayden Fry, but the administration crushed that into crumbs by not only discontinuing his success he had put into play within the program, but by pulverizing it down to nothing as an underfunded i-aa program for 12 freaking years. And even when we decided to try the I-A thing again, we just put lipstick on the sickest pig and sold it as a healthy animal. Obviously, by doing everything at the cheapest way possible, our place on that totem pole has been as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning.

My other post on this site was about the parade of QBs we have had here since 1995--the only ones that have had any success here (basically, 2002-2004 and 2013) had amazing defenses, running backs, and special teams to lean on. We have never had a QB since we moved up to FBS in '95 that was a great throwing passer that turned that into great results in the win column. Maybe that has more to do with coaching--ahem, recruiting, as well--but with the spread offense basically being the choice of gameplan on 95% of Texas high schools, our system that we currently run not only has zero appeal to those QBs that currently run that offense, the pool of QBs we can feasibly expect to choose from that don't currently run the spread is very minimal. Maybe we can develop a QB to run it well, like DT ended up doing, but as with every other piece of the team at this school, development takes longer on projects and it means you have to have experienced talent to win here. Right now, we have no developed QB at all and the experienced players we do have are not as talented as we all figured they would be by now. And that is completely on McCarney and his staff. At this point, though, all we can do now is pray he is the man of character we believe he is and that he will bust his ass to fix this embarrassment, instead of bitching about this place being so hard to get talent to come play here. If not, welcome back to 2005--because we are about to endure a lot more losing again.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Given Chico's track record, would we want even want Riddle?

Even then it seems like Riddle is wavering even with Chico here - especially if he's getting SEC interest.

Does he have SEC interest? Just because he has attended camps of SEC schools, doesn't mean they are interested. No scholarship offers as of yet. Chico track record or not, this kid can sling it and I think he would be a great fit here. It would add to the young talent at QB. Williams, Means and Riddle? Looks like a legit squad of young gunslingers to me. If we can get someone in here that can actually develop our QB's, then the sky is the limit with these 3.

• Upvote 1

We'd still be 2-6 with DT at QB. The losses would have just been closer.

My enthusiasm for this program is lower than it ever was when Dodge was here. I look at our roster and I don't see anything to give me hope that things are going to turn around. We are undersized not just against P5 schools, but against our own conference! Which blows a hole through McCarney's pity party "it's hard to recruit to UNT" excuse. Schools like Rice, Marshall, and Houston fight the same uphill battles as we do, but they somehow manage to field competitive teams every year. Hearing McCarney make excuses for his poor recruiting instead of owning it pissed me off and leaves me questioning wether or not he's the man for this job.

You need to look harder this team is in a transition season... they happen. There are all sorts of young talent on this team that will only become stronger faster and more experianced. This program is on the rise! Talked to alot of the players latley theyre all optimistic about where this program is going.
  • Upvote 1