We Shouldn't Have Fired Dickey

shaft

The consensus was Dickey was fired because;

1. He got off to a really bad start and seemed fine with coaching bad games.

2. He wasn't winning OOC games.

3. He was overmatched in bowl games

4. He didn't capitalize on the team's momentum to upgrade his recruiting practices.

5. His coaching a boring style of play.

6. He wasn't nice to the fans/donors.

7. When the program began to stutter he seemed fine with coaching bad games.

Dodge is the worst coach in school history and is about to be considered the worst coach in the nation after breaking a record for back-to-back seasons giving up 500+ points.

At the same point in his career DD had 5 wins including an OOC win over Texas Tech.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. He didn't capitalize on the team's momentum to upgrade his recruiting practices.

Dodge is the worst coach in school history and is about to be considered the worst coach in the nation after breaking a record for back-to-back seasons giving up 500+ points.

At the same point in his career DD had 5 wins including an OOC win over Texas Tech.

It was not an either/or situation, as some like to say. It was not a choice between DD or TD. It was time for DD to go (reason #4 and others not on your list) but we had plenty of other options, good options.

1. He got off to a really bad start and seemed fine with coaching bad games. PUSH

2. He wasn't winning OOC games. PUSH

3. He was overmatched in bowl games YET TO BE DETERMINED, WAIT TILL SEASON 3 FOR APPLES TO APPLES COMPARISON

4. He didn't capitalize on the team's momentum to upgrade his recruiting practices. ADV DODGE

5. His coaching a boring style of play. ADV DODGE

6. He wasn't nice to the fans/donors. ADV DODGE

7. When the program began to stutter he seemed fine with coaching bad games. PUSH

I'm not calling for Dodge's head, nor am I blind supporter (seems now-a-days on this board those are the only two extremes). I think we have every right to be critical of the product on the field and the decisions behind it, I'm just not willing to call for a HC change just yet. Right or wrong, I believe RV will give Dodge his contract (5yrs?) to right the ship.

Dickey had phoned it in. There were a lot of things that contributed to his firing (not just on the field performance- or lack thereof) and he had to go. It's that simple.

The question is not whether or not Dickey should have stayed, the question is whether Todd Dodge was a good hire. Right now, it doesn't appear to be but I'm blindly optimistic it magically changes. I'm also hoping to finally get the unicorn I've been requesting for Christmas for the last 10 years. Fingers crossed...

You omitted the major reason and enough by itself to get any coach fired, he took almost every opportunity to publicly downgrade the school and fans. I prefer a losing Todd Dodge to a winning Daryl Dickey. One of the reasons we are in this current mess is that DD was not fired earlier. DD was a much better on field coach than the current TD, but at least TD has an opportunity to improve. DD was on a down spiral that could never have been corrected. Luckily no one is hired for life and a coaching change can be made if TD doesn't quickly turn it around.

Edited by GrandGreen

GrandGreen say:

"One of the reasons we are in this current mess is that DD was not fired earlier. DD was a much better on field coach than the current TD, but at least TD has an opportunity to improve. DD was on a down spiral that could never have been corrected. "

Shaft says:

I'm confused, Grand Green says we should we have fired Dickey sooner. When should we have done that, after his third or fourth conference championship? Dickey was fired a season and a half after our last New Orleans Bowl. Dodge has none nothing but make the team worst team in D1 in his two seasons at the helm.

My question is for everyone who thought Dickey should go, when should RV dismiss Dodge?

GrandGreen say:

"One of the reasons we are in this current mess is that DD was not fired earlier. DD was a much better on field coach than the current TD, but at least TD has an opportunity to improve. DD was on a down spiral that could never have been corrected. "

Shaft says:

I'm confused, Grand Green says we should we have fired Dickey sooner. When should we have done that, after his third or fourth conference championship? Dickey was fired a season and a half after our last New Orleans Bowl. Dodge has none nothing but make the team worst team in D1 in his two seasons at the helm.

My question is for everyone who thought Dickey should go, when should RV dismiss Dodge?

DD ran his course. His firing was an absolute must. As for Dodge, he's taken this program to new levels of inferiority. If RV's smart, with the stadium vote positively behind him, he'll start this next season with a clean slate and wash himself of the Dodge hiring.

For anyone in the know, who in the hell gave RV the idea of hiring Dodge anyway???????? This is the guy we Dodge haters should really be looking for. :D

RV couldn't have thought of the evil plan himself. Not with all his USM brothers floating around the coaching circle looking to run a program of their own.

Edited by Got5onIt

GrandGreen say:

Shaft says:

Shaft,

Do you think that maybe Dickey had ran out of "magic bullets" in the recruiting area? I mean, it seems we took some players with some issues that may have precluded them from being signed some place else. And, he also promised some recruits at the time that they would be playing in a new stadium. Sound familiar? He had no facilities to really bring recruits to, and the players without some of the questionable issues played at high schools with better facilities. I am just saying he ran out of gas because one thing he was right about was that this place is hard to recruit to. The 4 conference championships were great, but we did not exactly get a lot of great publicity out of it like schools in other conferences. That is just the result of being in the Sunbelt. I have babbled, and not been real clear, but perhaps you can see my viewpoint. I just would like for somebody to say the University needs to re-evaluate its commitment to Div. 1 football and quit expecting these coaches to perform like that have unlimited resources when nothing in the way of real resources is still nothing. Dodge may have access to more resources than any previous coach, but it still is not enough.

The Dickey situation and the Dodge situation have ZERO connection to each other.

Dickey needed to go. History may show Dodge wasn't the right person to follow Dickey, but there was NO DOUBT that Dickey needed to move on. I have no personal ill-feelings towards Dickey, and I thank him for what he did for this program.

Dickey is gone. Let's debate the positives and negatives of keeping Dodge and what the possible alternitives are, and let the Dickey thing go.