Is Tony Benford really Shanice Stephens in a suit?

UNT90

If I'd had to bet money on this thing going down in flames... I expected this guy to be what led to the program toppling and ending up in disgrace:

3577736.jpeg

...and I figured it would take months, maybe years to come to pass.

Turns out it was this guy all along:

2088241.jpeg

...and it already happened, on the court(!), in game 2.

Nothing that comes after this can be more embarrassing, more devastating, more inexcusable than what we've already had happen. Tony Mitchell could strangle a newborn baby at midcourt on national television, and we wouldn't sink any lower than where we are now.

I was really upset with our late game clock management.

When we are down 3 with 32 seconds left, you foul right away. We let 16 seconds go off the clock before committing the foul. This meant UAH only had to hit 4 FT's to force a desperation three point attempt at the buzzer.

When there is 32 seconds left, you foul right away. You have to make UAH shoot 6, 8, or maybe even 10 FT's in that 32 second span. The more they shoot, the greater the chance for a miss.

Well, Shanice Stephens did lose a game against Texas Woman's University, which is D-II. NOw, Benford has done something similar. If he pulls out a binder on the sidelines in the next game, watch out!!

In all seriousness, Benford may be just fine here. He's learning, too. But this goes to the reason that I felt Fraschilla would have been a great choice. He wanted the job, has skins on the wall as a head coach, and he would have brought some nice ESPN cameras down here to Denton. But, as is the MO for North Texas in so many hires, we went with the unproven assistant that didn't cost too much, hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with a great new hire. Only problem is that those hires often don't turn out very well. I'm always of the belief that you hire a proven winner, even if it is from D-II or D-III (not high school). Again, maybe this turns out to be the low point for Benford and this team (I doubt it), but I still think that you have a better chance to take the next step upward when you hire someone who has actually won as a head coach, whether its football or basketball.

Again, maybe this turns out to be the low point for Benford and this team (I doubt it)

I get what you're saying... But lower than losing to a d2 team? Are we going to start murdering each other? Luring foster kids into the showers? Replacing the national anthem with a human sacrifice to Satan?

I don't understand why people think TM is an offensive machine. His offense is improving, but he is a big that runs the floor in transition and plays good defense.

It seems there was a sense of entitlement to some of the players. Lets see what happens.

You can't be an offensive machine when you go long stretches of the game without ever having an offensive touch.

We are a bad basketball team right now. That may change, but not as long as it takes the entire TAMS dorm to keep track of substitutions.

Find a damn lineup and 2 to 3 key subs, coach!

• Upvote 1

I get what you're saying... But lower than losing to a d2 team? Are we going to start murdering each other? Luring foster kids into the showers? Replacing the national anthem with a human sacrifice to Satan?

The real suck about this, is even if it isn't counted in RPI, if we somehow win the SBC Tournament (I realize the cart is now about 1000 miles ahead of the horse), the committee will certainly use it as a reason for us to be nothing more than a 15 seed. IOW, you get one of the top eight teams right out of the gate and try to help yourself believe that you will be the next Lehigh or Norfolk State. Not exactly what we expected from a team with Tony Mitchell on it.

To the topic of th thread: this is really bad, as bad as bad losses go and I will go on record and say that I am for firing the coach during the season if this becomes a lasting trend, cause he is not gonna get higher rated recruits than this unless there is a turnaround first.... but I do have to say this is unfair to Coach Stephens:

Coach Benford only has 1 really bad loss and an understandable (though badly played) one, this can cannot be compared to the levels of prolonged futility that coach S. has accomplished at NT, a level which is truely HOF (Hall of futility) worthy. It was not just the tactical ineptitude but really also the impecable capacity to run off, both her staff and her players. I believe a coach has to have at least a season and a half time to deserevedly be named in the same breath as Coach S.

... I thus hope that if someone is this bad, we will not afford them the time to achieve this status

Edited by outoftown

So something else to ponder... Shanice did not have a coach Evans on her bench. Evans is a proven coach.

Is coach Evans on board with these decisions? Wonder what he has to say...

He may not be in a class with Coach Evans, but Bart Lundy is also a proven winner as a HC.

Maybe we'll have some nice interim possibilities, should the need arise . . . :whistling1: