JUCO LB William Johnson (Coral Springs FL/Arizona Western CC)

Harry

2 minutes ago, SouthBendGreen said:

Sounded like Vito just specifically asked about him and of course as expected Coach Littrell just said something to the tune of the guys on the sheet are the commits.  I'm not liking this.  

Side note - my first time to hear SL speak.  Is it me or does he sound defensive?  Not passing any judgment and I really like his start here, just curious if anyone else has that feel.

Nope! You ever hear Briles talk?

1 minute ago, SouthBendGreen said:

Sounded like Vito just specifically asked about him and of course as expected Coach Littrell just said something to the tune of the guys on the sheet are the commits.  I'm not liking this.  

Side note - my first time to hear SL speak.  Is it me or does he sound defensive?  Not passing any judgment and I really like his start here, just curious if anyone else has that feel.

He's short-winded with media. 

He did say that all the signee's were on the list. Not a good sign at all. He mentioned something which may be unrelated about it being important to get guys who will be eligible as far as grades go. This may have been the situation with both Bain and Johnson. 

2 minutes ago, SouthBendGreen said:

Well he did get asked what people think of UNT for about 3 straight questions. I'm sure he's tired of answering that question and wants to look forward and not backward. 

Plus, some of these guys are asking the dumbest questions. "Do you like Mason Fine as a player?" Well no shit Sherlock. 

• Upvote 1

On a side note -- I never think it's a good sign when a coach says "I'm not concerned with how this class stacks up with everyone else." That's usually short for "not well." It could end up being a surprise like Dodge's 2010 class but it's never a good sign to be in possible the bottom 2 or 3 now in the conference without Johnson now. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Downvote 1

Im betting Bain will end up here, but most likely they just started recuiting bain only recently.. Johnson I'm not sure what is going on there... but I would think with them tweeting out the zip code and what Vito was saying, maybe they are still reviewing or going over classes/grades for him to get into UNT.. 

Also, Littrell i think didn't wanna say to much that could maybe get the wrong type of spotlight on him and the staff, i think you will see littrell go more in depth with the next signing day live chat that they are about to do with barnett, just because he will know some of the questions and what he can/can't say

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not good...

Again, they can't put him in there and announce him if he hasn't signed yet.  It's against NCAA regs.   He could sign in 5 minutes and they could reprint that release with him on it.  I wouldn't put any stock in Vito's comment... just an observation.

I mean, he's just the best player committed to us, on paper.  Nothing to be worried about, right?

nervous-gif.gif

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

On a side note -- I never think it's a good sign when a coach says "I'm not concerned with how this class stacks up with everyone else." That's usually short for "not well." It could end up being a surprise like Dodge's 2010 class but it's never a good sign to be in possible the bottom 2 or 3 now in the conference without Johnson now. 

It could also be that Littrell doesnt believe in the recruiting rankings. A two star guy could fit into a system and turn out to be 4 star talent so you never know until you get them all on campus and evaluate them.

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think I have every see a hc who seems so unenthusiastic about a class.  Hope it was fatigue not disappointment. 

I think a lot of his demeanor is just being uncomfortable in a new situation.  He doesn't seem to be a media natural, seems nervous to be in the situation.  I really don't care as long as he can recruit and coach.

He seemed to liven up when asked about football.  

2 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

It could also be that Littrell doesnt believe in the recruiting rankings. A two star guy could fit into a system and turn out to be 4 star talent so you never know until you get them all on campus and evaluate them.

That's a myth that's already been debunked several times. I don't always agree with Vito but I agree with his recent article about that exact thing. The top teams in our conference have been at least top-6 recruiting-wise consistently. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Exactly. It's been noted over and over that the offense we're running is based on speed. What's the use of a 3* WR that can't get open if you can get a 2* WR that can?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

I think a lot of his demeanor is just being uncomfortable in a new situation.  He doesn't seem to be a media natural, seems nervous to be in the situation.  I really don't care as long as he can recruit and coach.

He seemed to liven up when asked about football.  

I agree, Mac was a great talker.   

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Exactly. It's been noted over and over that the offense we're running is based on speed. What's the use of a 3* WR that can't get open if you can get a 2* WR that can?

"Recruiting rankings matter.

It’s a PROVEN FACT that in fact RECRUITING RANKINGS matter and MATTER A LOT.

There will be people who will claim no matter what happens tomorrow that the rankings don’t matter because of one of a few reasons … 1. My coach is smarter than your coach; 2. I found a one in a hundred example of when the rankings weren’t right about this one player one time; 3. I made up this really nifty theory of my own that makes me smarter than hundreds of analysts and coaches who have spent a career evaluating talent.

Public service announcement — Don’t be that guy."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Apparently, according to the Nebraska fan board, grades were an issue for him in HS, and appear to be in JUCO as well... hence the original flip to partial-qualifier-accepting UAB.   Wonder if he's waiting on a contingency offer from someone to fall through, otherwise he'll sign here.   Even if he does, it sounds like we'll need to hope he doesn't turn into a grade casualty, a-la Xavier Grindle.

Posted by @MeanGreenTexanin the football forum