North Texas faces extra obstacle in Noah Joseph

Harry

DENTON Even now, as he stalks the sidelines of the practice fields in Indiana, Noah Joseph has a reminder of one of the highlights of his coaching career strapped to his wrist.

Whenever the Hoosiers safeties coach checks the time, he glances at his Heart of Dallas Bowl watch, a memento each member of the Mean Green team received after a win over UNLV on New Years Day.

That timepiece serves as a reminder of not only a program-changing win, but also of the players who made that victory possible. Joseph will face several of them Saturday when the Mean Green head to Bloomington, Ind., to face the Hoosiers.

Joseph spent two seasons coaching UNTs safeties and was also the Mean Greens recruiting coordinator before joining Indianas staff in the same capacity after last season.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141001-north-texas-faces-extra-obstacle-when-taking-on-indiana-this-week-a-coach-that-knows-everything-about-them.ece

I found this paragraph especially interesting:

“That’s all B.S.,” McCarney said. “[Joseph] knows what our program is about, sat in our defensive meetings, helped us win nine games, knows how I teach, motivate and inspire. He knows about [strength coach] Frank Wintrich, John Skladany and [offensive coordinator] Mike Canales. It’s a hell of an advantage.”

Is Mac already making an excuse as to why we might lose? Or does he really think Joseph gives them that much of an upper hand?

I found this paragraph especially interesting:

“That’s all B.S.,” McCarney said. “[Joseph] knows what our program is about, sat in our defensive meetings, helped us win nine games, knows how I teach, motivate and inspire. He knows about [strength coach] Frank Wintrich, John Skladany and [offensive coordinator] Mike Canales. It’s a hell of an advantage.”

Is Mac already making an excuse as to why we might lose? Or does he really think Joseph gives them that much of an upper hand?

I don't think he's making excuses prior to the game.

I think he's just exposing the fallacy that IU is going to play like they normally would. They have a very knowledgeable insider. Why would they not tap into his experience with our team?

They have Joseph.

We had a week off and got to watch the Maryland game live.

They have one half of tape watching our first team offense (and that "mirage" apparently doesn't count). We have 4 games.

That they are playing at home and the Missouri win is no longer clogging their brainpan are probably IU's biggest intangible advantages.

GMG