Royce "Snoop" Johnson fired from Kimball

Makes sense. SMU needs a coordinator that understands and has a history of cheating/illegal recruiting.

Let's remember he played for UNT. One of ours...not theirs...does not make sense to take a cheap shot at SMU if you disparage us in the process. BTW I remember his first game at the Super Pit...was here to play football but suited up and got ten assists.

• Upvote 2

Let's remember he played for UNT. One of ours...not theirs...does not make sense to take a cheap shot at SMU if you disparage us in the process. BTW I remember his first game at the Super Pit...was here to play football but suited up and got ten assists.

I didn't disparage us, just pointed out the obvious. Is it a cheap shot if it is true?

I just did not like the idea using one of our former players as an example of the kind of cheater that SMU needs because they cheat. If we are the program that produced the cheater, how are we any better than the program hiring the cheater? A friend of mine is fond of saying "If they are winning they are cheating, and if they are losing, they are not cheating very well" So what does that say...that SMU is cheating well at basketball but not at football? That we are cheating well at football but not as well at basketball? I am not accusing anybody of anything...just rambling, where is Joey Greco when you need him?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I could be wrong but I don't remember Snoop playing at all at UNT. Help me out Ghost of Smith Hall.

This guy is crooked, the whole family is. I guess that automatically makes UNT crooked since he played here??? That makes no sense. This guy willfully broke rules and thought he was bigger than the UIL and the districts policies. This snake belongs on the Aau circuit taking advantage of young kids and their parents, at least he would fit in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wasn't trying to jump to conclusions so much as speak to perception. We want to brand Snoop and his family a bunch of cheaters, and maybe they are, but he played here, thought maybe he had earned at least a little benefit of the doubt. NOT saying because he played here that we produce cheaters and somehow we are responsible...no more than Larry Brown is responsible for new cars and money for Eric Dickerson and the SMU football teams of the early 80's. I know I am way in the minority here but I love what SMU is doing on the basketball court..I hope it is clean and I hope it continues...makes everyone else step up their game including us. Could not find a media guide online but here is some proof that Snoop played for us from an old Brett Vito story in the DRC:

Basketball: UNT lands Arizona St. transfer

May 25, 2007

Denton Record-Chronicle

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

A little more than a year ago, North Texas head coach Johnny Jones was sitting in the stands for a

showdown between two of the top teams in the Dallas area when George Odufuwa showed why

he was considered one of the top players in the state.

The 6-8 power forward from Dallas Kimball dominated inside and out while scoring 41 points

and pulling down 17 rebounds against perennial state power Dallas Carter.

The moment came to Jones' mind on Thursday when the former Class 4A first-team all-state

selection transferred to UNT after one season at Arizona State.

Jones said Odufuwa would fit perfectly into UNT's system because he is a versatile player. The

assessment is one Royce Johnson, a former UNT player who coached Odufuwa at Kimball,

agreed with.

"George will be an excellent fit for North Texas with their style of play and who they have

coming back when he will be eligible," Johnson said. "He will have a chance to play closer to

home and sitting out a year will give him a chance to heal."

Thanks for you input..I appreciate the debate.

• Upvote 2

Again, I stand to be corrected but Snoop never played basketball at North Texas. We signed him to play football (WR) but I don't remember him making the field. One of the issues the new DISD Superintendent had was that high school coaches had to have a degree. Snoop did not. He also didn't teach at Kimball. Not sure what was done for him to coach last year.

Point of clarification: Snoop was not fired for recruiting. Instead, for a twitter message (viewed as threatening, as a result of his brother and father's firing) Snoop was disciplined for picking up George Odufawa in Cedar Hill to attend Kimball. Of course, All-Staters were showing up on the roster year after year.

From the official UNT Basketball Fact Book...look who had 10 assists against SFA on January 21, 1993...maybe that is the only game he ever played for UNT, I don't remember, but I remember that game because I WAS FREAKING THERE! Thanks for your input, I appreciate the debate.

Assists (1 Game)

19 ......Pat Hicks vs. Loyola Marymount, 12/22/81

16 .... Pat Hicks vs. Pan American, 2/27/82

15 .... Weasel Johnson vs. TCU, 12/11/76

13 .... Terence White vs. A&M-CC, 12/2/00

12 ...... Deon Alexander vs. Southwestern (KS), 2/25/87

12 .... Charles Kearney vs. NW (La.) St., 2/8/93

12 .... Calvin Williams vs. Nevada, 1/30/99

11 .... Ricky Roberson vs. NE Louisiana, 3/10/88

11 .... Tom Etchison vs. NE Louisiana, 3/5/94

11 .... Calvin Williams vs. Utah St., 1/28/99

11 .... Calvin Williams vs. Wyoming, 1/8/00

10 .... Pat Hicks vs. Southern Miss., 1/24/81

10 .... Pat Nash vs. South Alabama, 12/17/91

10 .... Royce Johnson vs. SFA, 1/21/93

10 .... Jesse Ratliff vs. Sam Houston St., 2/18/93

10 .... Tom Etchison vs. NW (La.) St., 2/17/94

10 .... Calvin Williams vs. Pacifi c, 1/20/00

10 .... Terence White vs. Texas A&M, 11/20/00

• Upvote 3

Also from the Factbook: All-time letterwinners

J

Eric Jackson ‘92, ‘93, ‘94

Jonathan Jackson ‘07

Sammy Jackson ‘57

Eugene Jemison ‘87

Alonzo Johns ‘34

Bob Johnson ‘73

Charles Johnson ‘49, ‘50, ‘51, ‘52

Dominique Johnson ‘09, ‘10, ‘11

James Johnson ‘46, ‘48, ‘49

Johnny Johnson ‘48, ‘49

Luke Johnson ‘17

Royce Johnson ‘93

Shawnson Johnson, ‘04

Walter Johnson ‘76 ‘77

Wayne Johnson ‘82 ‘83 ‘84

Albert Jones ‘64 ‘65 ‘66

Carl Jones ‘74 ‘75 ‘76

Dello Jones ‘35 ‘36

Deral Jones ‘26 ‘27

Mack Jones ‘96

Michael Jones, ‘04, ‘05

Tony Jones ‘95 ‘96

• Upvote 3

...makes everyone else step up their game including us.

You were really, really credible until you made this statement.

We have REFUSED to step up our game ever since the Larry Brown hire. We hired a SMU reject that tore the program apart while the AD made every excuse possible for him, including blaming players at every turn.

Do tell, how exactly is that "stepping up our game."

Should have looked at my own damn list! Looks like Snoop played the last year of the Jimmy Gales era (which was a very bad team and recruiting class) I maintain that Snoop was recruited to play football and Gales may have had him out for hoops. This also was least watched/followed team in almost 40 years. Of Course Gales was fired immediately after the season.