Chico and Skladany get 2 year extensions

Harry

Along with his new deal, McCarney got pay raises for his assistant coaches. His top two assistants -- offensive coach Mike Canales and defensive coordinator John Skladany -- are getting new two-year contracts, through the 2015 season.

"It's not just me. I'm only as good as the people I surround myself with," McCarney said. "People said it's a sleeping giant, it's a sleeping giant. We finally woke that giant up. We've got him awake."

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10552286&src=desktop&ex_cid=espnapi_public

What they did was, in putting a contract in place really, is showing appreciation for changing the culture at this place. It's showing appreciation for how we do it, and the way we've done it on the field, in the classroom, in Denton, and how we handle things,"

Maybe I'm alone in this, but the "they were nothing before I got there" rhetoric has had its day with me and should be put to bed.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

Maybe I'm alone in this, but the "they were nothing before I got there" rhetoric has had its day with me and should be put to bed.

Truth hurts -- we had a 9-year (decade) of futility before he arrived. You can't sugarcoat that and you can't pretend like it didn't happen.

The good news is now that he has turned it around, and landed an extension the onus is squarely on his shoulders if we falter.

It may seem egotistical and self serving , but what the hell - its true.

• Upvote 1

Not to belabor the point here but let's not forget, Dodge was given the infamous 4th year which allowed him to sign a bunch of jucos, many of which either did not make it here or did not help the team. So Mac did not inherit much in the way of roster talent or depth when he arrived. Adding to that, Mac had to take a stand against some locker room issues that mired the culture of the program (Darius Carey etc). To hold him personally responsible for the mess he inherited is wrong. So yes I include the two losing years prior to Mac's first winning season in the general UNT futility category.

The point of my post wasn't to debate whether or not it was 5 or 10 or 7 years... it was to say that Mac is right, we sucked. We sucked for a long time for a myriad of reasons. So it's fair for him to point that out.

I disagree. MacCareny's first two years laid the foundation for last year and beyond. The senior class from 2013 was very much a part of the first two years too. There was progress made in a lot of different areas. They just did not add up to wins. 2011 and 2012 had a lot of disappointments but they certainly were not futile.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 1

Not to belabor the point here but let's not forget, Dodge was given the infamous 4th year which allowed him to sign a bunch of jucos, many of which either did not make it here or did not help the team. So Mac did not inherit much in the way of roster talent or depth when he arrived. Adding to that, Mac had to take a stand against some locker room issues that mired the culture of the program (Darius Carey etc). To hold him personally responsible for the mess he inherited is wrong. So yes I include the two losing years prior to Mac's first winning season in the general UNT futility category.

The point of my post wasn't to debate whether or not it was 5 or 10 or 7 years... it was to say that Mac is right, we sucked. We sucked for a long time for a myriad of reasons. So it's fair for him to point that out.

But for how long? We just had a nine win season, were in the running for a conference title, won a bowl game, etc. WHY IN THE HELL would your head coach continuously mention how horrible we were "before I got there"?

We always piss, bitch and moan about public perception and then spoon feed the public soundbites that amount to "Look at how successful we were last year...but don't forget we sucked before that!" I know, I know, people already know our history so it's not news...but couldn't we leave it to Vito to constantly resurrect the ghost of Dodge? If my wife tells me thank you for the flowers I buy her I don't respond with "yeah, but remember whenI forgot your birthday?"

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I think that this graduating class disproves the "lack of talent" part of your statement. I think we had talent on the team when Mac got here (Lance Dunbar was one of the best we have ever had at RB). I think the biggest issue we had when Mac arrived was depth and morale. The JUCO route killed our depth and this dog had been kicked so many times that it stopped caring. Mac brought back enthusiasm and as some of the guys that knew only losing and had been demoralized filtered out of the program, the tide began to turn. I don't begrudge them for not being excited given the state of the program, but that certainly contributed. Once he had a group of seniors that were ready to win and lead to that end, things really came along.

• Upvote 3

But for how long? We just had a nine win season, were in the running for a conference title, won a bowl game, etc. WHY IN THE HELL would your head coach continuously mention how horrible we were "before I got there"?

We always piss, bitch and moan about public perception and then spoon feed the public soundbites that amount to "Look at how successful we were last year...but don't forget we sucked before that!" I know, I know, people already know our history so it's not news...but couldn't we leave it to Vito to constantly resurrect the ghost of Dodge? If my wife tells me thank you for the flowers I buy her I don't respond with "yeah, but remember whenI forgot your birthday?"

Maybe I'm just crazy.

We need to remember it was Dodge's recruits that won it last year, now it is time for DMac's recruits to show up and continue.

All DMac did was get the SR's to buy-in and in their 4th and 5th years they got it. Now it is all on DMac.

Dodge sucked as a college coach but he certainly did not leave the cupboard bare.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I hope Coach Mac brings it up for the rest of his tenure here. I don't want anyone to forget how bad we let this program get. We allowed the football program to be coached by Todd Dodge for a 4th year, while playing in the Sunbelt Conference, and playing in the toilet bowl known as Fouts. If you ever allow the program to get anywhere close to that level again, you might as well close up shop. From facilities, to conference affiliation, to coaching, and to overall funding, we are about 180 degrees away from where we were in the fall of 2010.

• Upvote 2

I hope Coach Mac brings it up for the rest of his tenure here. I don't want anyone to forget how bad we let this program get. We allowed the football program to be coached by Todd Dodge for a 4th year, while playing in the Sunbelt Conference, and playing in the toilet bowl known as Fouts. If you ever allow the program to get anywhere close to that level again, you might as well close up shop. From facilities, to conference affiliation, to coaching, and to overall funding, we are about 180 degrees away from where we were in the fall of 2010.

I totally understand constantly reminding everyone "in house" of how far we've come and how we can never go back. Mac reminding RV in private conversation is absolutely necessary. But constantly reminding the general public that any excitement they feel over our recent success should be tempered by memories of being destitute? The Ford motor company has never run an F150 commercial that ended with "built Ford tough...unlike the Pinto".

And let's be honest...barring a tornado, massive flood or the rapture, Apogee will never be Fouts. No need to visit the past for fear of returning there.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Not to belabor the point here but let's not forget, Dodge was given the infamous 4th year which allowed him to sign a bunch of jucos, many of which either did not make it here or did not help the team. So Mac did not inherit much in the way of roster talent or depth when he arrived.

Yeah, that infamous 4th year in which he signed Richard Abbe, Aaron Bellazin, Brandin Byrd, Brelan Chancellor, Blake Dunham, Steven Ford, Antonio Johnson, Jamize Olawale, Zach Olen, Zach Orr, Will Wright, and Mason Y'Barbo. All solid contributors with the exception of Olawale, and with him you have to give Dodge credit for signing a future NFL player. True, there were some players that didn't work out, but that's true of every class. It still remains to be seen if any of Coach Mac's classes are as good as Dodge's last class, which was probably not his best.

All the credit in the world goes to Coach Mac and staff for developing the players into the team they became this past season. And Dodge should have been fired after his third season, if not earlier. But comments about "empty cupboard" or "Dodge's terrible last class" need to be put to rest, because they are myth.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1