Allen ISD closes $60 million stadium

10Eagle10

for “evaluation” after extensive cracking was found in the elevated concourse..

- Allen ISD Interim Superintendent Beth Nicholas said the stadium will be closed until at least June.

- the district describes the cracks as more pervasive and wider than what would be normal with foundation cracking, anywhere from 1/4″ to 3/4.” No pictures of the cracks have been provided.

- Nicholas said they are working with the architect, PBK Architects, and the district's long-time general contractor, Pogue Construction, to find a solution.

- An independent engineering firm is about 10 percent into investigating the extent of the cracking. That full report won't be done until June.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/02/27/issues-discovered-at-allen-isds-60-million-football-stadium/

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Cracks-force-closure-of-Allens-60M-stadium--247645591.html

• Upvote 1

This is what happens when a high school bathes in excess. Karma.

Did they "bath in excess" more than the Southlake or Plano school district? Or even what used to be humble Northwest? Who BTW has two indoor football facilites. That would be two more than us.

http://www.nisdtx.org/Page/310

Please tell me that we had a completely different architect and construction company than them.

Edited by SilverEagle

Did they "bath in excess" more than the Southlake or Plano school district? Or even what used to be humble Northwest? Who BTW has two indoor football facilites. That would be two more than us.

http://www.nisdtx.org/Page/310

Please tell me that we had a completely different architect and construction company than them.

We used Manhattan construction and HKS architects. They used Pogue and PBK Architects...

Edited by TIgreen01

You are from Houston. Would that be more than the Cypress ISD and the Berry Center, or Galena Park and their stadium?

...and your point is?

Both of which are considerably less in size and cost than Allen and the Berry is actually useful

Either way, spending millions on stadiums when some ISDs in Texas are filing bankruptcy is irresponsible.

My high school is building some monstrosity and I think they're idiots, too.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

...and your point is?

Both of which are considerably less in size and cost than Allen and the Berry is actually useful

Either way, spending millions on stadiums when some ISDs in Texas are filing bankruptcy is irresponsible.

So because Wilmer-Hutchins is bankrupt then Allen shouldn't build a stadium that they voted to build and the taxpayers of Allen decided overwhelmingly that they wanted to pay for out of their own pockets?? Yeah that makes sense. Allen ISD has superior football and superior academics to most any other public school district in the nation. Now if their academics sucked and they still built that stadium then I would cry foul but until then they can do whatever the hell they want.

...and your point is?

All About UNT is correct. Plus, are you stating Allen's stadium is not useful?

heck - let them play for FREEEEE. Think of the FREEE publicity and good will between a great high school program.

RV - buddy - are you listening? This could go on Ch. 8 news and all of DFW would hear of the MEAAANNN GREEENNN!

- ok obviously food/beverages aren't free - just free rental. We could probably break even or make a little dough, no???

Edited by Stan R
  • Downvote 2

Having been there in December for a playoff game, I have to say....

I was actually really underwhelmed by that stadium. After all the hype and hyperbole about it, I found myself going "Really, this is it? It's just big and ostentatious. I was expecting some palatial, opulent over the top luxury whatever and instead it was made with the same materials and crap as every other nice 4A or 5A high school stadium built in the last decade. And it has really crappy handicapped access.

Really going to the stadium in Allen just made me realize and appreciate even more how incredible and beautiful and truly nice Apogee is. I know I know, comparing a D1 college stadium to a high school field but when they cost almost the same amount of money, you actually can compare them.

UNT made out like freakin' bandits with Apogee. And it's LEED Platinum certified.

• Upvote 2

heck - let them play for FREEEEE. Think of the FREEE publicity and good will between a great high school program.

RV - buddy - are you listening? This could go on Ch. 8 news and all of DFW would hear of the MEAAANNN GREEENNN!

- ok obviously food/beverages aren't free - just free rental. We could probably break even or make a little dough, no???

I think it would be too difficult to turn the stadium around from a Friday night game to a Saturday day game. Maybe if Allen were on the hook for the cleaning crew...

Really going to the stadium in Allen just made me realize and appreciate even more how incredible and beautiful and truly nice Apogee is. I know I know, comparing a D1 college stadium to a high school field but when they cost almost the same amount of money, you actually can compare them.

Apogee did cost at least 30% more. Also, we used to not like comparing a D1 stadium to some high schools because we used to lose in that comparison.

• Upvote 1

Having been there in December for a playoff game, I have to say....

I was actually really underwhelmed by that stadium. After all the hype and hyperbole about it, I found myself going "Really, this is it? It's just big and ostentatious. I was expecting some palatial, opulent over the top luxury whatever and instead it was made with the same materials and crap as every other nice 4A or 5A high school stadium built in the last decade. And it has really crappy handicapped access.

UNT made out like freakin' bandits with Apogee. And it's LEED Platinum certified.

The Westie, I agree 100%

I've been there about 6 times, which is why I prefer old ass Mesquite Memorial. We (Apogee) got much more for the money. Nice stadium but I think the national hype was based on the amount spent and not the final product.

• Upvote 3

That's what happens when you skimp on concrete prep to splurge on finish out. #contractortalk

I think you have a good point about preparation, but would apply it to the building site in general, not just the concrete. It's also likely that the soil conditions in the Allen area are more demanding in the need for that than where Apogee is located, as they are located in the "Blackland Prairie region of Texas, which extends into the southeastern corner of Denton County, but not in the City of Denton; certainly not in the part of town where the UNT Main Campus is located. Ever notice all those oak trees around the UNT campus? Those are on the Cross Timbers, which is much better suited to construction. The Blackland Prairie (so named from the soil color, of course), is well known for it's expansive clay soils, and their contribution to foundation problems in this area.

Pretty much every article on the internet about these problems is advertising foundation repair services, as is the one I'm linking to, but at least it cites some work from my old home, the Geography Department at UNT. It does mention that residential foundations are the most vulnerable, since homebuilders are wanting to keep construction costs low, and state regulations are more stringent for commercial than residential construction, but it does call out school buildings, and the problems caused by cost conscious school districts skimping on construction budgets. Here's the link (and I'm not recommeding their services, as I don't know anything about them):

http://foundationsolution.com/North_Texas_Soil_Technical_.html

So, I see it as possibly one thing leading to another; expansive soils, pressure to keep public school budgets low, leading to skimping on the costs for the best construction practices for this area. Still, I don't think there's an excuse for a building as new as Allen Stadium to have such severe problems as are being reported. It should be interesting to see what problems are found and remedies suggested.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

My HSO from a sports fan, allen resident (without kids in the district) and Apogee lover.

Tthe bond that included the stadium also included other things like funding for the arts so I voted for it even though the part about the stadium seemed ridiculous to me. If it had just been for the stadium i would have never voted for it.

After seeing it and being there for a game and knowing it cost 60m compared to Apogee's 80m, the allen stadium is much more of a huge waste of money. I'd say it's about 50% as good as Apogee.

• Upvote 2