UNT men's basketball: Welcome to the cellar

Harry

Opportunities for wins in league play have been few and far between for North Texas in its first season in Conference USA.

The Mean Green had one Thursday night at the Super Pit against Old Dominion, only to fumble it away and officially hit rock bottom in the C-USA standings.

UNT was in position to pull out of its late-season tailspin but let a late one-point lead slip away in an avalanche of mistakes that saddled UNT with a 72-62 loss.

The Mean Green’s fifth straight setback left UNT (11-13) sitting at 2-8 in C-USA play and in a four-way tie for last with Rice, Marshall and East Carolina. The Mean Green will face ECU at home Saturday.

“We are disappointed, embarrassed, whatever you want to call it, but no one is going to feel sorry for us,” UNT coach Tony Benford said. “The only way for us to get out of the cellar is to get to work tomorrow.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20140214-men-s-basketball-welcome-to-the-cellar.ece

3-8 in this calendar year (2014) and a 5 game losing streak. These are the kinds of things that lose fans and cost coaches their jobs.

Records like this can cost Athletic Directors theirs jobs as well if they can not quickly rectify the situation.

At this point two years ago we were 14-11, which would turn out to be good enough for a first round bye in the SBC tournament. We would eventually lose to Western Kentucky, of all teams, in the tournament final (74-70). Western Kentucky turned its season around when they fired Ken McDonald and named Ray Harper the interim head coach. Ray Harper would eventually be named the permanent head coach a month later.

/sigh

Edited by UNTFan23

And 2012 was a disappointment (though understandable given the attrition)! Yet, we still nearly made the NCAA Tournament. We haven't been the same since the three WKU hit after the near steal (I think by Walton) with a couple of minutes left in the SBC title game.

Records like this can cost Athletic Directors theirs jobs as well if they can not quickly rectify the situation.

Anyone with 2 eyes could see this coming a mile away in March, 2013.

The AD chose to double down and blame last years players by insinuations made right here on a GMG podcast.

Their should be consequences. What kind of consequences? Don't know, and it's not my job to know.

But we are UNT, so we will do what we always do (nothing) and allow Benford to ruin the program for at least one more year in the name of saving money.

RV will be allowed to stay until he decides to leave, because, gosh darn it, he is just such a swell guy that cares so much he cries at any opportunity, especially when their are people around to witness it.

Hopefully eyes have finally been opened to what a friggin mess Benford has brought to this program, but I severely doubt that even if they have, the powers that be have enough intestinal fortitude to do one damn thing about it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

No....? The student section. One night a lot of Fraternity's and sororities came out. Around the middle Tennessee game.

The Middle Tennessee game had about two full sections.

That's it.

The rest of the games are maybe 3 rows.

Look, I realize you weren't a fan when the whole Pit Crew wore green T-shirts custom made and had signs and chants like Odufa-Who? Odufa-Wa. I get it. But the Pit Crew is pathetic nowadays. All signs point towards Tony B.

The Tech game had students to the walls from the press box to the middle court. Used to be notorious for the fans.

Bantered with UTA fans. Was about 5-6 sections large.

No longer.

Benford'd.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's it.

Look, I realize you weren't a fan when the whole Pit Crew wore green T-shirts custom made and had signs and chants like Odufa-Who? Odufa-Wa. I get it. But the Pit Crew is pathetic nowadays. All signs point towards Tony B.

The Tech game had students to the walls from the press box to the middle court. Used to be notorious for the fans.

No longer.

Benford'd.

This is how it was when I was in school 3 short years ago....now its pathetic

That's it.

No longer.

Benford'd.

.....? Have been going to games since the early to mid 90s. Every game (season tickets). It is down but it was not terrible for a few games. I would like to see it full again next year regardless of who the coach is. Win or get rid of Benford; either way we can fill it out. There were lots of games under JJ were it was not full at all and then there were games that were pretty much sold out like the OSU game.

• Upvote 1

.....? Have been going to games since the early to mid 90s. Every game (season tickets). It is down but it was not terrible for a few games. I would like to see it full again next year regardless of who the coach is. Win or get rid of Benford; either way we can fill it out. There were lots of games under JJ were it was not full at all and then there were games that were pretty much sold out like the OSU game.

UNT was bringing in almost 4k a night JJ's last year for SUN BELT CONFERENCE GAMES!

Do you understand that? Do I need to say it louder? UNT was on its way to building something in basketball for the first time in the modern era.

Benford has completely crushed that momentum inside if a year and a half.

I will get wildly drunk in celebration the day he is removed as head coach at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3,000 people would come to see us Jackson State under JJ.

Nuff said.

• Upvote 2

UNT was bringing in almost 4k a night JJ's last year for SUN BELT CONFERENCE GAMES!

Do you understand that? Do I need to say it louder? UNT was on its way to building something in basketball for the first time in the modern era.

Benford has completely crushed that momentum inside if a year and a half.

I will get wildly drunk in celebration the day he is removed as head coach at UNT.

I never said it has not dropped off I was just saying that we have had some decent crowds this year. These players are really good about inviting friends and getting word out for the games. If he goes so be it. The new coach comes in and starts 0-11 I will still give him a year and be supportive of the team... Never miss a game. One day when I win the lotto I will finally be able to follow the team in an RV during road games. Otherwise I'm waiting for retirement....

We did have a few games where if we had win we could have built on this season (attendance wise at least), but it did not happen... I would say we can get a. Solid 2k out on any given night but maybe hit 4k once this year...

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1