Meanwhile...

emmitt01

You put your best players on the court or field to win games. And yes, hats off to SMU. I usually put a "t" at the end, but out of respect for what they have done this year in BB, I call them SMU. They have done well, and knocking off the Eastern seaboard sports writers' "darlings of the media" Cincinnati, you have to respect the 'stangs.

Both parties are wrong. Smart should have been smart and kept his cool. Who listens to fans anyway? Who can hear fans while playing?

Tech fan is a biggoted ass who should have been smarter. I heard hw will not be allowed to attend any more Tech games this season.

We are not English Soccor Hooligans.

Edited by gksmith

Brutal.

I can't wait for football season so they'll be returned to their rightful place. Larry is gone after this year.

This is painful to sit back and see them make ESPN headlines. Wonder if the basketball success will bleed to football and give them crowds as well as the team confidence.

Hope not.

It won't help football. When we were winning Sun Belt tourneys, it didn't boost attendance at Fouts. They are completely different entities.

That being said, I'm actually jealous of SMU for once and it sickens me that we've not only fallen so far, but continue to allow ourselves to dig the hole deeper. I enjoyed trips to Hot Springs and the electric crowd in the Super Pit more than any football game during my time at UNT. It's really disappointing.

Edited by Keith7

SMU has it going on right now, which is the ultimate proof that a winner in this area (against well-known competition) will create interest and attendance. We never had that kind of buzz during JJ's tenure, like SMU has, simply because of their built-in advantage of playing well-known teams. That's why I always find it funny that so many put all the emphasis for conference affiliation on football. Look, CUSA in football is probably on equal footing with the AAC and the SBC at this point. But basketball pays bill, too, and when conferences finally started figuring out that this realignment thing should be about TV markets, not just are you good at football or not, then we see why SMU playing in a far-flung conference with UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, and others really can help their attendance in hoops anyway. And you get the advantage of playing more hoops game than you do football games, which can add lots of $$$ to the coffers if you get the kind of crowds they are now seeing at Moody.

The sadder part in all of this, to me, is that even if JJ was still coaching here, we wouldn't get the attention that the Dallas media is throwing down on SMU. It is just how it is. BUt the saddest part of it all is that we replaced JJ with an imbecile for 5 F@$#ING years, meaning we are completely hamstrung for many years to come. Next year, when we are somewhere south of 10 wins with a schedule that is chock full of SLC teams and NAIA powerhouses, just remember that we will only have one more year to go before this nightmare will be over.

That being said, I'm actually jealous of SMU for once and it sickens me that we've not only fallen so far, but continue to allow ourselves to dig the hole deeper. I enjoyed trips to Hot Springs and the electric crowd in the Super Pit more than any football game during my time at UNT. It's really disappointing.

Totally agree. I know we're the minority, but I'd gladly go back to the Dodge years in football to get to where SMU is in basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The hype building around their team is becoming unbelievable. The thing I worry about is that they're getting people with no affiliation to SMU to go to their games, and that can carry over to football. It builds a connection between the community and the school, and makes them want to at least follow the football team

• Upvote 2

Both parties are wrong. Smart should have been smart and kept his cool. Who listens to fans anyway? Who can hear fans while playing?

Tech fan is a biggoted ass who should have been smarter. I heard hw will not be allowed to attend any more Tech games this season.

We are not English Soccor Hooligans.

You kind of have to look at both sides here. On the one hand, you have an older man named Jeff acting out, but by all accounts he was a nice guy - just way too into sports for someone his age. He was an air traffic controller, which is not just some job of the streets, so he understands professionalism and how he should act. However, when his favorite team got involved, it was like he had an entirely different identity that took over and was just negative all the time about everything - and hostile and malicious. It really didn't add up to those who knew him best because this version of him that loves TT was just so different than regular, mild-mannered, every day Jeff.

On the other hand, you have a great kid from the area who was known for being a pretty nice guy. Very talented and involved, and made the choice to be loyal to Oklahoma State. He even showed his Cowboy loyalty by staying an extra year, but has found himself more frustrated and angry than in the past. Finally, someone makes him just snap and he takes it out on chairs and ultimately makes the decision to make it a personal confrontation. Making it personal has blown up in his face, as he is now suspended from doing the one thing he loved to do. Tough to see that Cowboy on the sidelines - especially since his suspension seems to be a lot longer than some expected.

I don't know - hard to pick a side here. Interesting stuff for sure.

• Upvote 3

You kind of have to look at both sides here. On the one hand, you have an older man named Jeff acting out, but by all accounts he was a nice guy - just way too into sports for someone his age. He was an air traffic controller, which is not just some job of the streets, so he understands professionalism and how he should act. However, when his favorite team got involved, it was like he had an entirely different identity that took over and was just negative all the time about everything - and hostile and malicious. It really didn't add up to those who knew him best because this version of him that loves TT was just so different than regular, mild-mannered, every day Jeff.

On the other hand, you have a great kid from the area who was known for being a pretty nice guy. Very talented and involved, and made the choice to be loyal to Oklahoma State. He even showed his Cowboy loyalty by staying an extra year, but has found himself more frustrated and angry than in the past. Finally, someone makes him just snap and he takes it out on chairs and ultimately makes the decision to make it a personal confrontation. Making it personal has blown up in his face, as he is now suspended from doing the one thing he loved to do. Tough to see that Cowboy on the sidelines - especially since his suspension seems to be a lot longer than some expected.

I don't know - hard to pick a side here. Interesting stuff for sure.

Mark it down: I wish i could like this 80 times. I wish i could LOVE this 80 times, like we love our MG!

• Upvote 1