New Names on Offseason Workout Logs

Just started skimming the offseason performance evaluations posted on Facebook...ran across a few unknown names

An offensive lineman, last name Rice

Quarterback, last name Shanbour...I'm assuming Quinn Shanbour, former OK State walk-on http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/547164/quinn-shanbour

Linebacker, last name Bean

Linebacker, A. Smith.

Wide receiver, last name Adams

Offensive lineman, last name Clayton...I seem to re-call some mention of him being on the side-line last season?

If history holds, I imagine we'll be seeing more and more new names pop up on these work-out lists.

• Upvote 1

This is Clayton. Class of 2010, which would make him a redshirt senior if he enrolled in college the semester after he graduated high school.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/100061/sean-clayton

I wonder if this is Rice.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Rice-107155

This is Clayton. Class of 2010, which would make him a redshirt senior if he enrolled in college the semester after he graduated high school.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/100061/sean-clayton

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Rice-107155

maybe not sam rice... he started in 6 games for them last year so unless something drastic happens, he isnt our guy. but it did say that he had 2 brothers who are div. 1 football players. maybe its one of them?

and by it i mean the SMU website.

Billy what school was Clayton at and did he play?

You can get a really good idea of the day-to-day workout psyche of the players by perusing the group reports Coach Wintrich posts on that page.

----

Side Note: My wife, younger sister and I went to I [heart] Sushi the other night. Place was full, but we patiently waited to be seated as we were told that some tables would come available shortly. Coach Wintrich and his lady were wrapping up their meal in the middle of the room, and as soon as we walked in, he eyed me. This wasn't some passing glance but rather a pierce-your-facade-evaluate-you-for-all-your-worth-and-see-if-you're-qualified-to-enjoy-the-air-your-breathing sort of stare down for a full minute. I've never been as intimated for as long as I can remember. We ended up replacing them at their table, and on their way out, I thought to say something to the effect of, "Hey Coach, thanks for the outstanding work you've done with our players, preparing them both mentally and physically to do what they did on the field this year." Instead, all that came out of my tepid mouth was, "Thanks, Coach." He turned to face me and gave me a look of bewilderment. I turned and wished I had never said anything.

I don't think I've ever felt the mixed emotions of scared-sh*tless combined with utter pride and reassurance that a team I root for has such a guy looking over them year round. Dude's awesome.

• Upvote 6

I <3 Sushi is pretty decent. I would think that a guy like Wintrich would probably need a whole sushi boat of his own. Good, lean protein...maybe his intake of raw meat had him in a fighting mood and that's why he stared you down?

I really love our walkon program. If we find just one starter or significant contributor it is like playing with house money.

Agreed.

Then again, there are actually so many interesting walkons at UNT, the 20 player (with the 85 on scholarship) max who make the roster is actually an important limit.

Edited by outoftown

Is he playing defense in college?

Edit: Never mind they have him down as a QB.

Edited by North Texas Shep

Agreed.

Then again, there are actually so many interesting walkons at UNT, the 20 player (with the 85 on scholarship) max who make the roster is actually an important limit.

3 starters (off the top of my head) at year's end were former walk ons. 3 out of 22. Kirby, Darnell Smith, and Buyers. All VERY important cogs in last year's turn around team.

Not only a very good program, but a very important one that contributes heavily to what Mac has done and is doing here.

This probably needs a new thread but in talking about the add-ons let's also look at the deletes/not listed.

Peter Ashton DB

Brendan Campbell LB

Cam Feldt OL

Robert Lewis LB

Shawn McKinney OL

Trevor Melugin OL

Cody Nelson OL

Austin Orr DL

Jake Smith LB

I believe that Campbell and Lewis may have left last year. They said that there were 22 seniors and only listed 20. Jake Smith was a walk-on who faced long odds and I can understand his leaving. Ashton was a transfer from Oregon State who spent a lot of time on the sideline last year and who showed promise. Melugin played in the High School All-Star game and likewise spent time on the sideline last year. The other four were scholarship players including a full-time starter and a primary backup at center who made a couple of starts at guard due to injury. Orr was a letterman on the DL and Nelson a highly regarded redshirt.

I have no clue as to whether they have left the program or taking the spring semester off to catch up on academics. If the latter were the case would they not also have to do some kind of maintenance to keep in shape?

3 starters (off the top of my head) at year's end were former walk ons. 3 out of 22. Kirby, Darnell Smith, and Buyers. All VERY important cogs in last year's turn around team.

Not only a very good program, but a very important one that contributes heavily to what Mac has done and is doing here.

add Drew Miller to that list. 4 out of 22.

Dunham a No Show ?

Still injured. Yes, played in the bowl game but not on punts. Cannot go downfield as yet to cover punts. So, he played, yes, but only for extra points and field goal work.

Getting better, but still limited.

• Upvote 1