Canales finalist for Sam Houston HC Job?

kakat10

Mel Tjeerdsma has been around a long time. He was the head coach at Austin College in Sherman and recruited me when I was graduation from Plano East in 1989.

Mel Tjeerdsma has been around a long time. He was the head coach at Austin College in Sherman and recruited me when I was graduation from Plano East in 1989.

That's right... I knew his name sounded familiar

They announced 4 finalists today

Those finalists are former Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, former head coach and current Northwest Missouri State athletic director Mel Tjeersdma, Virginia offensive line coach Scott Wachenheim and former Texas co-offensive coordinator/receivers coach Darrell Wyatt.

• Upvote 1

They announced 4 finalists today

Those finalists are former Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, former head coach and current Northwest Missouri State athletic director Mel Tjeersdma, Virginia offensive line coach Scott Wachenheim and former Texas co-offensive coordinator/receivers coach Darrell Wyatt.

Glad Chico is staying...Another winning year at North Texas and he'd have better offers anyway.....IMHO.

I heard Mel Tjeerdsma is pretty much a lock for the job if he wants it. (That is from within the Texas HS football coaches circle)

Not doubting you for a minute, but Mel is getting up there (67 or 68?) and Chico would provide them a much younger option that has significant experience.

Harry,

My friends have been told in more words, if he wants to take the job it will be his. So essentially it's his choice. I would like to see Chico get it and flourish. I am with the others wonder who Mac would go get. He seems to make good hires when position coaches leave but a Coordinator is much, much different.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad somebody said Sam's a better job than UAB. They would've had 2 national titles if my NDSU Bison weren't in the way (I'm from ND). I wonder how the UAB search went. It's kinda surprising he wouldn't go there over FCS (even though it's not better). UAB may be where coaches go to die career wise.

Devin?

I'm glad somebody said Sam's a better job than UAB. They would've had 2 national titles if my NDSU Bison weren't in the way (I'm from ND). I wonder how the UAB search went. It's kinda surprising he wouldn't go there over FCS (even though it's not better). UAB may be where coaches go to die career wise.

True... but then again UAB probably pays about 500-600 k while SAM pays about 200-300 k. Money may not be equally important for everyone, and, yes UAB is a horrible job futur wise, but I am sure there are guys out there who value the $ over the other factors.

I hope he gets it and we hire Major Applewhite to replace him, just to give Emmitt a seizure.

Agree! Not only that, but Applewhite has the best knowledge of the personnel we will face in Game One this season.

By the way, I'd also like to see Duane Akina on our coaching staff if at all possible. Underrated coach.

Harry,

My friends have been told in more words, if he wants to take the job it will be his. So essentially it's his choice. I would like to see Chico get it and flourish. I am with the others wonder who Mac would go get. He seems to make good hires when position coaches leave but a Coordinator is much, much different.

Unfortunate for us but fantastic for him.

• Upvote 1

Even if he doesn't get the job, or turns it down. This isn't good news right before signing day.

Actually Canales big land was QB Josh Greer who is already signed sealed and delivered But I do get your point from a global offense perspective though.

I hope he gets it and we hire Major Applewhite to replace him, just to give Emmitt a seizure.

If we were able to hire Major Applewhite it would probably give our football coaches salary budget a $eizure, right? :hair:

If Chico stayed another year with another winning and bowl bound Mean Green football team his HFC'ing choices would probably be at the FBS level.