Harry

If they don't want folks on the field there should have been more of a presence towards the end of the game. If people see a strong presence they tend to not attempt to do such things. It'll likely be fixed next year.

• Upvote 1

I waited a bit and then calmly walked down onto the field with my 6 year old son... no problem. No police issues. Got some awesome photos. My little man was even given a pair of gloves by RF WR #85 Roderick Lancaster who was even gracious enough to let me take a picture with them together! (I hope this young man does well in the future as he seems very selfless and thoughtful) As well as a photo op with a couple of super nice cheerleaders... A memory my son will never ever forget! After about 15 minutes as the players and crowd started thinning out, we headed back up into the stands and out of the stadium. Nothing but smiles from ear to ear on both our faces!

• Upvote 3

I waited a bit and then calmly walked down onto the field with my 6 year old son... no problem. No police issues. Got some awesome photos. My little man was even given a pair of gloves by RF WR #85 Roderick Lancaster who was even gracious enough to let me take a picture with them together! (I hope this young man does well in the future as he seems very selfless and thoughtful) As well as a photo op with a couple of super nice cheerleaders... A memory my son will never ever forget! After about 15 minutes as the players and crowd started thinning out, we headed back up into the stands and out of the stadium. Nothing but smiles from ear to ear on both our faces!

Neat story! Thanks for sharing that.

Well, I wouldn't consider it an accident if he intended to make contact with him, which it appears that he did--an accident that he connected with his face like that and turned his head backwards, sure. I will say this though, it was effective. I don't think another person went down that particular set of steps after that. :)

When you are willfully breaking the law, which is exactly what those who rushed the field did, and a police officer is trying to stop you, and you resist, it's your own damn fault!

Stop the whining and be glad evading or resisting arrest or detention charges weren't filed on you, because that's what every single one of you who ran from the police onto the field did.

Stop thinking that you have a freakiing right to storm the field after a game. You don't. Especially a field that doesn't belong to UNT.

Good God.

Great restraint shown by the officers.

• Downvote 5

When you are willfully breaking the law, which is exactly what those who rushed the field did, and a police officer is trying to stop you, and you resist, it's your own damn fault!

Stop the whining and be glad evading or resisting arrest or detention charges weren't filed on you, because that's what every single one of you who ran from the police onto the field did.

Stop thinking that you have a freakiing right to storm the field after a game. You don't. Especially a field that doesn't belong to UNT.

Good God.

Boooooooooooooooo!

Good God.

tumblr_lndxjdykzM1qzkekio1_500.jpg

• Upvote 2

Laws are laws, boys. If you want to take the chance if having to explain having a criminal history to a perspective employer, go right ahead and say "f the police" and rush the field.

The smart students didn't rush the field. They may not have had as much fun, but they were smart enough to know that there could be consequences for their actions.

This wasn't our home field. We were guests. There were rules.

Edited by UNT90

I have to agree with NT90 on this. Apparently we can agree in football but in basketball. I would have never rushed the field because I would not want something like that going down in record and it affecting me getting a future job one day. Very foolish to break the law, although from the stands it was quite funny to watch. I would personally never risk it. Unless I was super old and retired comfortably.

Good God.

Since you quoted me in your response, could you please point out where I was "whining" in any of my posts about this? My response about intentional versus accidental contact by the officer was simply in response to Harry's post immediately preceding mine. Also, perhaps you are referring to a plural you and not the singular me in your response referring to one having a "freaking right to storm the field," so forgive me if i misinterpret, but if you were referring to be individually, I in no way personally thought I did or had such a right nor any interesting in going onto the field.

I don't disagree that when one enters the stadium and agrees to the conditions printed on the back of the ticket that includes the statement that the holder of the ticket agrees that the HoD Bod, Cotton Bowl Stadium, or ESPN has the right to "eject a person. . . whose conduct is deemed. . . to be disorderly, unruly, dangerous or fails to comply with. . .[their] rules," that they should have any expectation other than to be detained (forcibly if necessary) in order for those rules to be enforced. The PA announcer also did state that no one was allowed onto the field following the game (i.e., he stated a rule). So, yes, anyone who violates those rules should not be surprised when someone tries to stop them from violating them.

With that said, there is a line with with the amount of force that can or should be applied in order to enforce the rule about a fan running onto the field under the circumstances. You can argue if you want about an officer grabbing for someone and catching him in the face, but there certainly is a line somewhere that cannot be crossed in order to keep fans off the field. I'm sure you wouldn't be a proponent of hitting someone across the face with a metal pipe to keep an otherwise harmless person who doesn't appear to be a greater threat than wanting to celebrate his team's victory off the field, would you?

Edited by jredallas

Either way, this is why it's nice to be able to rush the field at home when it's warranted. I assume it's the same at Apogee, but at Fouts the fuzz would just say, "Not yet, not yet...okay, go ahead."

Since you quoted me in your response, could you please point out where I was "whining" in any of my posts about this? My response about intentional versus accidental contact by the officer was simply in response to Harry's post immediately preceding mine. Also, perhaps you are referring to a plural you and not the singular me in your response referring to one having a "freaking right to storm the field," so forgive me if i misinterpret, but if you were referring to be individually, I in no way personally thought I did or had such a right nor any interesting in going onto the field.

I don't disagree that when one enters the stadium and agrees to the conditions printed on the back of the ticket that includes the statement that the holder of the ticket agrees that the HoD Bod, Cotton Bowl Stadium, or ESPN has the right to "eject a person. . . whose conduct is deemed. . . to be disorderly, unruly, dangerous or fails to comply with. . .[their] rules," that they should have any expectation other than to be detained (forcibly if necessary) in order for those rules to be enforced. The PA announcer also did state that no one was allowed onto the field following the game (i.e., he stated a rule). So, yes, anyone who violates those rules should not be surprised when someone tries to stop them from violating them.

With that said, there is a line with with the amount of force that can or should be applied in order to enforce the rule about a fan running onto the field under the circumstances. You can argue if you want about an officer grabbing for someone and catching him in the face, but there certainly is a line somewhere that cannot be crossed in order to keep fans off the field. I'm sure you wouldn't be a proponent of hitting someone across the face with a metal pipe to keep an otherwise harmless person who doesn't appear to be a greater threat than wanting to celebrate his team's victory off the field, would you?

It's not a rule. It's a law. It's called criminal trespass. When violating that and, and then running from police attempting to detain you, you then commit a separate crime of evading arrest or detention.

See: sec. 30.05 Texas Penal Code (Criminal Trespass) and sec. 38.03 Texas Penal Code (Resisting Arrest, Search, or Transport) and sec. 38.04 (Evading Arrest or Detention).

So, all the "dude, it's my right to storm the field! F the police!! I can't believe they actually tried to violate my sports fan rights" is complete crap said by people who just want to do what they want to do and don't want any consequences for doing it.

And no, this and the last post aren't aimed at you specifically, but aimed at the attitude in this thread in general.

Look, it's not the worst thing someone will ever do, but it's still a crime and something that there could be consequences for. People need to realize that so they can make an informed decision.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

It's not a rule. It's a law. It's called criminal trespass. When violating that and, and then running from police attempting to detain you, you then commit a separate crime of evading arrest or detention.

See: sec. 30.05 Texas Penal Code (Criminal Trespass) and sec. 38.03 Texas Penal Code (Resisting Arrest, Search, or Transport) and sec. 38.04 (Evading Arrest or Detention). . . .

It is really both, isn't it? One would be both violating a rule of the stadium that prohibits the license holder from being on the field rather than in an area of the stadium for which the ticket granted access and also be subject to criminal trespass for going into an area of the property for which he or she did not have consent? It didn't really look like they were interested in pursuing criminal charges against anyone for running onto the field but simply enforcing their rules and moving them back to the stands.

Either way, we both do agree it is wrong to violate the rule or law (or both), and anyone who does so should be willing to face the consequences of that act. Still, it was kind of fun watching those who did make it onto the field, and some of the players themselves were encouraging it to happen before the game was over. "Hey, y'all come party on the field with us after the game."

It is really both, isn't it? One would be both violating a rule of the stadium that prohibits the license holder from being on the field rather than in an area of the stadium for which the ticket granted access and also be subject to criminal trespass for going into an area of the property for which he or she did not have consent? It didn't really look like they were interested in pursuing criminal charges against anyone for running onto the field but simply enforcing their rules and moving them back to the stands.

Either way, we both do agree it is wrong to violate the rule or law (or both), and anyone who does so should be willing to face the consequences of that act. Still, it was kind of fun watching those who did make it onto the field, and some of the players themselves were encouraging it to happen before the game was over. "Hey, y'all come party on the field with us after the game."

The point is they could have filed criminal charges and taken people to jail. Look, it only takes one officer to decide someone should be arrested for rule vs law argument to go out the window.

And what would be the fan's defense? "Johnny's parents let him do it, so why can't I?"

Good luck with that.

Fans who go onto the field at the Ranger's ballpark or Jerryworld are immediately arrested and charged with criminal trespass. This very easily could have happened at the cotton bowl.

Again, this wasn't Apogee, and the people who rushed that field took a HUGE risk.

So all the immature "I can't believe the police tried to stop us and had the nerve to touch us" crap should be seen for what it is. Crap.

Edited by UNT90

The point is they could have filed criminal charges and taken people to jail. Look, it only takes one officer to decide someone should be arrested for rule vs law argument to go out the window.

And what would be the fan's defense? "Johnny's parents let him do it, so why can't I?"

Good luck with that.

Fans who go onto the field at the Ranger's ballpark or Jerryworld are immediately arrested and charged with criminal trespass. This very easily could have happened at the cotton bowl.

Again, this wasn't Apogee, and the people who rushed that field took a HUGE risk.

So all the immature "I can't believe the police tried to stop us and had the nerve to touch us" crap should be seen for what it is. Crap.

Yeah, screw all those NDSU people who rushed at Frisco. Jerks!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I waited a bit and then calmly walked down onto the field with my 6 year old son... no problem. No police issues. Got some awesome photos.

That's how it worked for us as well. The security officer at our staircase held up his hands in 'stay back' position while watching over his shoulder. After the UNLV team had congratulated the victors and left the field he put down his hands and motioned that people could then come down.

He was getting his picture made wih the UNLV cheerleaders by the time my group got down to the field