Who will be the 2014 North Texas starting QB ?

NT03

What worries me about DaJon is of course his "injury" but also the fact that they would go out and land a very quality QB in Josh Greer. If they didn't have their concerns about him why would you go out and sign a player like Greer when you know you have Berglund and McNulty? I would love to think this was all "part of the plan" and that it was depth but one can't help but wonder. Someone has to be the odd man out -- you aren't going to be able to keep giving McNulty 2nd team snaps without hurting the practice time with the other 3.

Count me in the group who hasn't given up on Berglund either. Guy just was way to much athletic ability to ignore. I want him to get some significant game opportunities this spring and hope his health won't be an issue as it was last spring.

It's all pointing to a huge battle this spring and should be a lot of fun to follow and watch.

You answered your own question right there. I think McNulty can be helpful in a wildcat role and BB needs to improve A LOT before he moves up thr depth chart.

I think they thought Means was the real deal and thought that he could take over if DW got injured. Means senior season was lackluster for whatever reason, which obviously caused the caching staff to hedge their bets and get another QB.

• Upvote 1

Don't underestimate McNulty. He's never going to be tall but he's physically changed his body in Wentrich's weight program. He is very strong and durable. They know he will execute what they are asking him to do. When he started that game against Tulsa he was just a kid. McNulty embodies everything they are trying to accomplish in the guts of this program. He's not flashy but very determined.

Hopefully spring ball will narrow down the competition to ONLY two quarterbacks fighting for the starting position. It all comes down to who can manage the game the BEST, who will turn the ball over LESS, and who can MAKE the plays when it counts either on foot or in the air.

The reality is there will be mistakes and turnover(s) with whoever starts against Texas because 1) We have a new quarterback, 2) Its the first game at real speed against superior athletes, 3) Its Texas with Charlie Strong's defensive mind.

I agree we need a quarterback who can expand the playbook and get the ball to their receivers. The coaching staff knows more than our shared opinions when it comes to analyzing quarterbacks but the quarterback topic helps pass the time and I enjoy reading everyone's input because the quarterback position IS the nucleus of our offense and will dictate how we operate on that side of the ball next season.

• Upvote 1

Don't underestimate McNulty. He's never going to be tall but he's physically changed his body in Wentrich's weight program. He is very strong and durable. They know he will execute what they are asking him to do. When he started that game against Tulsa he was just a kid. McNulty embodies everything they are trying to accomplish in the guts of this program. He's not flashy but very determined.

What I've heard from people close to it is this: McNulty gets it. He's the smartest guy of the group. Unfortunately his physical attributes don't quite match his cerebral capabilities. Berglund - just the opposite. Pretty much off the charts physical ability but the switch hasn't fully flipped with him upstairs - this causes him to have happy feet, not wait for plays to develop and just take off.

• Upvote 1

Greer being signed might say less about what they think about DW and more about what they think about BB and Mini Mac.

I still have faith that BB can be the guy. If it's just a matter of him learning to play within the system then hopefully that message gets across. However, I voted for DW. It would be terrific to have him as the QB for four years.

• Upvote 2

What I've heard from people close to it is this: McNulty gets it. He's the smartest guy of the group. Unfortunately his physical attributes don't quite match his cerebral capabilities. Berglund - just the opposite. Pretty much off the charts physical ability but the switch hasn't fully flipped with him upstairs - this causes him to have happy feet, not wait for plays to develop and just take off.

Yeah I've heard that too but is that not correctable? I mean with DT commanding most of the practices and him missing the entire spring, being behind McNulty and Dajon in the Fall -- have they/we really seen enough to make that assessment?

I can see McNulty being the smartest (knows more of the system) of the group right now considering he has been around a few years and was the backup. He will have that advantage.

The gap can close quickly by the start of next season though. Dajon only had a few Weeks to learn and Greer hasnt come yet. If they pick up the system, I think its out of Greer and dajon.

With these new wrs and athletes coming in, will they even run the same system? Will canales make changes based on the talent? Everyone may be learning a whole new playbook.

We have been hearing about a more open offense, and have slowly seen flashes of it this year. Looking at the recruits we have committed, and also looking at some targets we offered, it seems like we are looking to get faster, more quick and explosive players that can do a lot in space.

• Upvote 2

I've been told by several members of the team that Dajon was beating out DT last fall until the coaches opened up the playbook. It was just to much for him to grasp that early on in his development, but all the players say he has BIG play potential all over him.

One player then told me "Brock would've been the starter hands down if he would just stop trying to do all that johnny manziel shit and just go out there and play". The coaches didn't trust him to take care of the ball and that's why McNulty (for obvious reasons) was our #2 for the majority of the year.

I can't wait to see what Greer can bring to the table this spring, but if I were to choose now I would say Dajon.

Edited by meangreen15
  • Upvote 3

One player then told me "Brock would've been the starter hands down if he would just stop trying to do all that johnny manziel shit and just go out there and play". The coaches didn't trust him to take care of the ball and that's why McNulty (for obvious reasons) was our #2 for the majority of the year.

Very interesting.

I've been told by several members of the team that Dajon was beating out DT last fall until the coaches opened up the playbook. It was just to much for him to grasp that early on in his development, but all the players say he has BIG play potential all over him.

I can't wait to see what Greer can bring to the table this spring, but if I were to choose now I would say Dajon.

I'm with Eastwood. That is very interesting, and I remember you posting that in another thread. Do you or your intel think he could still be the starter? That seems like something that is very fixable.

I'm with Eastwood. That is very interesting, and I remember you posting that in another thread. Do you or your intel think he could still be the starter? That seems like something that is very fixable.

Yeah i posted a very similar thing in the Baker Mayfield thread.

I haven't talked to any of them since the semester ended, but when i get back up to denton I can see what more I can find out.

In my opinion, I think being #3 on the depth chart all year long when he was considered a favorite to start should be a huge wake up call for BB.

As far as being best suited to start, i think its all pretty unknown going into this spring because greer has yet to practice with the team. I love having this excitement around the program moving forward. I think we have 4 quality qbs going into this spring and next season, I just hope 1 emerges and that we don't rotate them.

I think they had such a great year with DT that they looked at Josh and said -- "he's DT!" Josh looked at the offense and the fact they had unproven QB's and said I can play there!

I think Harry nailed that. I hope Josh has a better arm than DT.

Not to start a DT debate (i GREATLY appreciate what he did for us in his career) but this offense could be explosive with a better qb. We are going to have lots of weapons on the outside that we need to take advantage of

It seems fixable, but so many coaches have tried to convert athletes to real qbs and have failed. Not a high success rate from my years watching football, on all levels.

They knew Brock was an athletic qb, but they assumed he was more cerebral and could learn how to play under control. Im sure Brock was told there would be this wide open offense that was perfect for his skills.

Edited by GOMG2013

They signed a juco guy for depth. Football is all about depth. They just added depth to the position. It's not uncommon for a college football team to have 4-6 scholarship QB's on roster. McCarney even said it himself going into the 2013 season. I won't quote him, but it was something along the lines of when he arrived in Denton the cabinet was bare and this is the first fall camp that he is seeing D1 talent v. D1 talent battles for positions in fall camp. The signing of Greer could mean they are uncomfortable with DW, or it could mean they are just adding depth. My guess is the latter.

Dajon or Brock. No way McNulty gets it. There are very specific strategic reasons as to why McNulty is in there...he wants to save Dajon. I want Brock to succeed, but something on the field must not click. Dude is smart (4.0) and has all the talent in the world...maybe the game moves too fast for him.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Greer or Dajon. I only say that because if the staff had any belief in the guy already here, they wouldn't have gone out and gotten a JUCO to throw into the mix.

Whomever, it's safe to say that the coaching staff wants those on board to work harder and show more than they've shown, with the possible exception of Dajon, whom they mistakenly played this year.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

I want Brock to succeed, but something on the field must not click. Dude is smart (4.0) and has all the talent in the world...maybe the game moves too fast for him.

I dont think its an intelligence issue. Its a style issue. Athlete vs qb. An athlete has played a certain way since pee wee. Athleticism gets me out of trouble. I can improvise.

Coaches over the years have seen this athletic ability and have told themselves, if I can get that kid to learn this system...it has failed hundreds of times. Only has been sucessful a few times.

People take pocket pressence for granted. Its easier said than done. Athletes are not used to standing still, and they definetly are not used to knowing they are going to take a hit and still staying with the play.

the offense that sumlin is running at a&m with manziel is not the same as the one with Houston. Its similar, but it has been tweaked to take advantage of manziels athleticism.

Vince went through the same thing at UT. They wanted to make him a real qb. They eventaully gave up and let him do his thing.

See it happen in high school a lot. It usually turns into "just go out there and win the game" and they get converted to a athlete in college. Lots if coaches try to convert at first though.

• Upvote 2

I dont think its an intelligence issue. Its a style issue. Athlete vs qb. An athlete has played a certain way since pee wee. Athleticism gets me out of trouble. I can improvise.

Coaches over the years have seen this athletic ability and have told themselves, if I can get that kid to learn this system...it has failed hundreds of times. Only has been sucessful a few times.

People take pocket pressence for granted. Its easier said than done. Athletes are not used to standing still, and they definetly are not used to knowing they are going to take a hit and still staying with the play.

the offense that sumlin is running at a&m with manziel is not the same as the one with Houston. Its similar, but it has been tweaked to take advantage of manziels athleticism.

Vince went through the same thing at UT. They wanted to make him a real qb. They eventaully gave up and let him do his thing.

See it happen in high school a lot. It usually turns into "just go out there and win the game" and they get converted to a athlete in college. Lots if coaches try to convert at first though.

I agree...it's frustrating though, because I'm 100% on the Brock bandwagon and think Mac just needs to go out there and say "Get us a win." Will never happen under McCarney though. Dude will be money if he ever gets on the field.