Who will be the 2014 North Texas starting QB ?

NT03

When Dajon throws his ball reminds me of Andrew Smith. I hope he wins the job.

I've searched far and wide for clips of Dajon in the Idaho game to no avail. I want to see him again. I was extremely impressed with how good he looked in limited action that day.

This is, without a doubt the deepest group of QB talent we have had since I've been following the program. It is also very unproven.

Either I am one of only a few people on this board that haven't been privy to what DW looks like in practice or so many of you are jumping the gun on your DW analysis. Last minute gameplay against a very tired Idaho Defense shows me about as much as a Spring Game would. I am sure he will be a great QB but just remember the euphoria felt when people got a very small glimpse of DT in the Arkansas State game (redshirt burn game) and how everyone thought he would be the second coming of (insert name here) only to lose out to Tune.

Either I am one of only a few people on this board that haven't been privy to what DW looks like in practice or so many of you are jumping the gun on your DW analysis. Last minute gameplay against a very tired Idaho Defense shows me about as much as a Spring Game would. I am sure he will be a great QB but just remember the euphoria felt when people got a very small glimpse of DT in the Arkansas State game (redshirt burn game) and how everyone thought he would be the second coming of (insert name here) only to lose out to Tune.

Weird that we agree about something, arch nemesis.

Well his high school tape shows me the arm strength and accuracy I need to see. His 40 time is very nice, but unlike DT he has good agility to match good speed. With the offensive cast around him it will only make him shine more. Put Greer in there and it's the 2013 offense. Throw in some elusiveness at the QB position it brings an entire new element to the offense. It will also force defenses to game plan for it and defenders will have eyes on him affording other players to shine. 2400 yards passing and 500 yards rushing is a very doable statistical year for DW next fall. That's 200 yards passing and 50 rushing a game.

• Upvote 1

Well his high school tape shows me the arm strength and accuracy I need to see. His 40 time is very nice, but unlike DT he has good agility to match good speed. With the offensive cast around him it will only make him shine more. Put Greer in there and it's the 2013 offense. Throw in some elusiveness at the QB position it brings an entire new element to the offense. It will also force defenses to game plan for it and defenders will have eyes on him affording other players to shine. 2400 yards passing and 500 yards rushing is a very doable statistical year for DW next fall. That's 200 yards passing and 50 rushing a game.

I really like DW's game, but it's hard to tell accuracy from high school tape. All the passes are complete in a highlight tape.
  • Upvote 3

I think people are responding to Mac's comments about Dajon from the very start of the 2013 camp. Here is an excerpt and link to the recap Vito had from UNT's media day:

"First off, McCarney wanted to put to rest the idea that Williams starting or at least playing as a freshman is coachspeak.

Williams has gone from being a freshman who seemed destined for a redshirt year to a potential starter in about a week. Pretty remarkable.

I went back and looked at my notes/quotes after the first scrimmage of fall practice and McCarney and offensive coordinator Mike Canales praised Williams work with the third team over the first week of workouts. They said he had a great feel for the position. Canales said he would likely give Williams time with the second team pretty quickly.

Two days later, UNT has pretty much shelved the idea of redshirting its freshman quarterback.

Oh, and McCarney invoked an Iowa State reference, comparing Williams to Bret Meyer, one of his quarterbacks during his days with the Cyclones.

Yeah. BOOM!"

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/unt-media-day-thoughts.html/

Yeah accuracy could be a ?, but arm strength, speed, and agility is not. A good O coordinator, and I think Coach C is a good offensive coordinator can hide his flaws with baby steps. Roll out high/low option, throwbacks, tunnel/bubble/HB screens, etc. it all doesn't have to be dig routes thrown into zone.

• Upvote 1

I voted for Greer, however I think if Dajon gets healthy in time for spring ball and I mean 100% I think he could get the nod. I am excited either way and trust that coach Mac will select the QB who gives our University the best chance to win each and every game.

Yeah accuracy could be a ?, but arm strength, speed, and agility is not. A good O coordinator, and I think Coach C is a good offensive coordinator can hide his flaws with baby steps. Roll out high/low option, throwbacks, tunnel/bubble/HB screens, etc. it all doesn't have to be dig routes thrown into zone.

I think that helped a lot with DT at times. Kept it simple and the o-line gave him plenty of time. He just had trouble throwing downfield. I want to see what this offense can do with a guy who can hit some downfield passes in addition to the shorter stuff and run the ball a little.