Jeremy Combs

GrandGreen

Having seen this mentioned, but NT recruit has had great pictures in the last two DMN sports pages.

Comb's team Carter lost in the first game of the Dallas Coca Cola Tournament to Lancaster. Interesting in that it had two of the area's best players. Combs and Elijah Thomas, who is currently rated by Rivals as the ninth best 2015 recruit in the nation. Thomas got 13 points and 11 rebonds, Combs 25 points and 13 rebounds.

With recruits Carrington Ward and Combs, whoever is the coach next year should have some firepower.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

If everyone qualifies next year and stays I will be very excited to watch that team play! If Benford does not cut it this year then I am for someone next year with all the potential they will have. That means Benford doesn't win say 14-16 though. If he wins around there I'm guessing he stays and hopefully can improve. If we win around ten we need a new coach because next year will be huge with a lot of seniors and some good young talent like Combs and Wesley.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having seen this mentioned, but NT recruit has had great pictures in the last two DMN sports pages.

Comb's team Carter lost in the first game of the Dallas Coca Cola Tournament to Lancaster. Interesting in that it had two of the area's best players. Combs and Elijah Thomas, who is currently rated by Rivals as the ninth best 2015 recruit in the nation. Thomas got 13 points and 11 rebonds, Combs 25 points and 13 rebounds.

With recruits Carrington Ward and Combs, whoever is the coach next year should have some firepower.

Thomas is having to share the paint with 6-10 soph center, Nate Morris. He is deserving of his national ranking. Lancaster also took down Kimball (#1 in many state polls) and will win the tournament.

Here's a ballislife video with some Combs AAU footage. He comes in at about 1:35.

http://ballislife.com/dallas-hoopers-the-next-level-baller-tournament-sick-highlights-myles-turner-alex-robinson-neal-twins-more/

Combs is unrated on both rivals and ESPN still. I found this website that has him ranked as a 3-star and the 140th best overall player in the country.

http://ballislife.com/dallas-hoopers-the-next-level-baller-tournament-sick-highlights-myles-turner-alex-robinson-neal-twins-more/

It also has him listed at 6'6". I'm sort of in the belief with UNT90 that a player's listed height is usually taller than his actual height. Combs is usually listed at 6'7" so 6'6" makes sense. That's what he looks like. Never seen him play live, but from what most say he can step about 12 feet away from the basket and knock down a shot. Not sure how much small forward he'll play.

Our situation at the 4 spot next year should be fun. Voss has been playing well lately and Combs and Wesley will be a step up athletically from him. They all bring some different skill sets but they'll be able to run the floor with all the guards we have and fit well if we run 3 and 4 guard sets.

• Upvote 1

No small forward skills. Is not taller than 6-6 and will need to find some weight. Has very good low post skills and very active. Long arms make up for height around the basket. It's a shame he has no help this year.

That's what I figured. How does he score so many points? He had 50 points in a game last year and had a high average, plus he's doing the same this year. That's a lot of points for someone who plays decent competition and isn't a three-point shooter or a 6'9"+ dominant post player.

That's what I figured. How does he score so many points? He had 50 points in a game last year and had a high average, plus he's doing the same this year. That's a lot of points for someone who plays decent competition and isn't a three-point shooter or a 6'9"+ dominant post player.

Some guys have that uncanny knack for getting to the ball by out hustling their opponent. Like a Kevin Love or Dennis Rodman, he has the mentality that every rebound is his. He's quick off his feet in going after his own missed shots and as a result, gets multiple attempts each possession.

Some guys have that uncanny knack for getting to the ball by out hustling their opponent. Like a Kevin Love or Dennis Rodman, he has the mentality that every rebound is his. He's quick off his feet in going after his own missed shots and as a result, gets multiple attempts each possession.

How's his back-to-the-basket game?

So your saying he is the next Tony Mitchell :)

Tony was 2 inches taller and could handle the ball and knock down threes. Stop with these comparisons. Kept seeing you compare Anefiok and Roger Franklin too. Those guys are nothing alike.

Really.... Pick up in the some sarcasm.... That is what everyone said about Tony coming in. I was not serious. Good grief.

And I only compared Aniefiok because he. An play in the post (at least according to the coaching staff) but is undersized. He has a way better jumper then roger. I was only comparing the hustle in the paint to grab boards.

Edited by Andrew

Really.... Pick up in the some sarcasm.... That is what everyone said about Tony coming in. I was not serious. Good grief.

And I only compared Aniefiok because he. An play in the post (at least according to the coaching staff) but is undersized. He has a way better jumper then roger. I was only comparing the hustle in the paint to grab boards.

Well given the level of basketball knowledge you have dropped in previous posts, it was not a stretch for him to think you may be serious...

• Upvote 1

Tony was an All-American.

Jeremy Combs is a dang good HS ball player who will make an impact with energy and athleticism on our team. He has a lot to work on if he wants to play consistent minutes at the D1 level but I think he will and between Combs, Wesley and Ward plus the return of everyone else. The one bad thing is the following season we will lose almost as many maybe one more than SMU and with the recent gets they have makes me a little nervous.

• Upvote 1

I knew you were being sarcastic with the :) at the end, I just can't stand these reaches of comparisons based on not actually seeing the guy play.

I knew you were being sarcastic with the :) at the end, I just can't stand these reaches of comparisons based on not actually seeing the guy play.

Fair enough. I made the comment because with Tony came in he was compared to Rodman and we were told he would be all over the floor grabbing every single rebound. Like Cooley was saying. That's the only reason I said it.

Fair enough. I made the comment because with Tony came in he was compared to Rodman and we were told he would be all over the floor grabbing every single rebound. Like Cooley was saying. That's the only reason I said it.

Similarities in their game, yes. If he could be anywhere near the rebounder Mitchell was then we'd be set. He just isn't the next Tony Mitchell, he's Jeremy Combs.

I'd be interested to know who compared Tony Mitchell (reboundjng) to Dennis Rodman.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/team/1368727002-252-999/tony-mitchell-is-an-interesting.html

First thing I could find, but I believe people on here did and I remember watching the combine and one of the broadcasters did a similar comparison. Also on espn the pistons page links to a pistons blog where at one time they had a article talking about if he could be defrosts next Rodman. You will have to google though.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/team/1368727002-252-999/tony-mitchell-is-an-interesting.html

First thing I could find, but I believe people on here did and I remember watching the combine and one of the broadcasters did a similar comparison. Also on espn the pistons page links to a pistons blog where at one time they had a article talking about if he could be defrosts next Rodman. You will have to google though.

Wow! Rodman is an NBA Hall of Famer (Because of his rebounding and effort) Mitchell is in the D-League. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely high on Mitchell in high school but he has not developed since; for the next level. He still should make a lot of money over the next 10 years (D-league, Europe or NBA). But back to Combs for a minute. Like BillySee stated, Mitchell was a legit HS All-American and Combs is a level or two below that. Greg Wesley will contribute but I like Combs more.

• Upvote 1

I hope Combs is better than Mitchell. There have been a lot of players that played for NT that were better college players than Mitchell. Few if any talent wise, but Mitchell didn't come close to Lyons, Hamilton, Chris Davis, Iverson, Ratliff and others in their play for NT.

Since Mitchell has the career blocks record in only 1.5 seasons I'm going to have to disagree that he didn't come close to any of those guys.
  • Upvote 1