Leaving Houston Wide Open

DeepGreen

Wish we would go back to recruiting the Greater Houston Area harder. I went through their top 86 recruits, and besides the usual commits to UT, ATM, Baylor, Rice, UH, etc., I'm amazed at the number that commit to the likes of La Tech, Texas State, and now utsa. Boise State has taken at least one player over the past several years, and even UNLV has a commitment out of Houston.

We used to do a decent job when Bruce Bell(I think) was recruiting the Houston area. Sure wish we had a steady pipeline from that football rich area of Texas.

• Upvote 1

I am surprised that we haven't hit Houston hard this class, but we did get Connor Means from Deer Park and Kishawn McClain from Rosenberg. They just aren't very highly rated.

We did however straight up raid East Texas this year. Maybe we raid Houston next year. We'll continue to recruit Houston. That much is all we know.

• Upvote 1

No excuse not to target Houston harder. Everybody is in D/FW (rightfully so). With a great need for D Lineman, we need to cover the state. Many kids in the Houston area do not show offers or UNT interest. Make these kids tell you no.

Of course, we don't know what is happening behind the scene, but we've always had adequate coverage in the area. I am happy, however, that we stopped at the Texas boarder in East Texas.

No excuse not to target Houston harder. Everybody is in D/FW (rightfully so). With a great need for D Lineman, we need to cover the state. Many kids in the Houston area do not show offers or UNT interest. Make these kids tell you no.

Of course, we don't know what is happening behind the scene, but we've always had adequate coverage in the area. I am happy, however, that we stopped at the Texas boarder in East Texas.

But there is also another consideration as well. Can't hit everybody. Have the Metroplex and East Texas hit along with other smaller areas.

Wish we would go back to recruiting the Greater Houston Area harder. I went through their top 86 recruits, and besides the usual commits to UT, ATM, Baylor, Rice, UH, etc., I'm amazed at the number that commit to the likes of La Tech, Texas State, and now utsa. Boise State has taken at least one player over the past several years, and even UNLV has a commitment out of Houston.

We used to do a decent job when Bruce Bell(I think) was recruiting the Houston area. Sure wish we had a steady pipeline from that football rich area of Texas.

Phil, here is the latest from Greater H-Town. Check out the number of "undecided's".

Breakdown of Houston Top 100 Commits Per Each School

Undecided 17

Houston 11

Baylor 7

Rice 7

Oklahoma State 6

Texas 6

Texas State 5

Texas A&M 4

Iowa State 4

Southern Methodist 4

California 2

Kansas 2

Nebraska 2

Texas Tech 2

Alabama 1

Army 1

Boise State 1

Colorado 1

Colorado State 1

Florida State 1

Fresno State 1

Kansas State 1

Louisiana Lafayette 1

Louisiana State 1

Louisiana Tech 1

Memphis 1

New Mexico State 1

Northwestern 1

Oregon State 1

Rutgers 1

Sam Houston 1

UCLA 1

Utah 1

UTSA 1

Wake Forest 1

North Texas 0

Texas Christian 0

Oklahoma 0

• Upvote 1

We took tge DB Davis and OL Walker out of the Houston area last year.

And kidsy also. All three were top 100 Houston.

Unt went after approx 17 recruits in the area this year. Means and McClain committed this year. Not on top 100 though. With east Texas and Dallas turning out good, I guess there wasnt much need to be in Houston much.

• Upvote 1

This is a talent rich area down here that is ripe for the picking. Just because a player doesn`t have a few stars next to their name, given out by some agency that relies more on hype and politics than actual playing ability, doesn`t mean they don`t have the skill to meet your needs. Take the raw talent and develop it.

Edited by meangreen1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe just a case of bad recruiters covering that area. Houston has usually been a good area for NT. They don't have the numbers of players that DFW now has, but still would probably rank above most states in the number of players signed. To Houston recruits, Denton may look pretty good; not to close to home, but close enough that family can come to the games.

Maybe just a case of bad recruiters covering that area. Houston has usually been a good area for NT. They don't have the numbers of players that DFW now has, but still would probably rank above most states in the number of players signed. To Houston recruits, Denton may look pretty good; not to close to home, but close enough that family can come to the games.

Absolutely spot on with last sentence... :thumbsu:

How well does SMU and TCU do in the Houston market?Just asking. I know that A&M and LSU have scheduled a game there in the next few years to gain exposure.

SMU does okay in Houston. They raided that Houston Lamar school that played in the state championship game against Allen last year. Other than that they're classes look like us as far as where players are from, with the exception that they like to get players from Florida.

TCU is also basically the same as we are with getting kids from Houston. They also do what I want us to do in the future, which is recruit outside of the state without putting a lot of resources out there. They recruit the greater Atlanta area, Louisiana, and the Midwest. They target a few kids and they don't get them all, but it doesn't break their class if they don't get those out of state kids.

• Upvote 1

Most Texas schools (except UT and AnM) have camps in the Houston area. Some have two. UNT had one in southeast Houston and Katy/west Houston. Those camps have increased UNTs exposure over the last few years.

Most D1 targets in this area, are invited to these camps. Players that already have big time offers normally dont show up, and are considered to not have interest.

UNT has not gotten the hype due to the poor performance on the field. They have a good turnout, but a lot of them are seniors looking for a D1 offer.

Winning will improve the quality that turns out at the camp, and next year I would expect a lot of juniors to get invited and show up. This will get a good jump on the 3 and 4 star talent. If you do not get on a 3 or 4 star thier junior year, you are most likely too late.

• Upvote 1