What Do You Think of Derek Thompson Now?: A Remembrance

MeanGreenZen

Ever seen Shattered Glass? He was great in that.

I think that really helps with the comparison. Hayden Christensen has been really good in some things and really bad in others. Same goes for DT's games. But at the end of it all, they've done a lot more than most, even most in their situations. Is Hayden at the level of DiCaprio? No. Is Derek the next Cam Newton? No. But they've both performed well enough that their names and records are enough to inspire debate, at least among us. Hayden is a better actor and a bigger name than most that go through soap operas and B movies, and Derek is better than the recruits that never quite get over the hump and become starters (both at NT and elsewhere). The fact that they've had both good and bad runs is enough that they are more recognizable than the average B-movie star or the high school recruit that never became an FBS starter.

I think you get the point...even though they may not be unequivocal superstars, they're still good enough to be discussed and debated among random people they've never met, and will probably stay that way for decades. That's a much better problem to have than to be forgotten, or simply forgettable.

I will always think of Derek as the kind of QB Bill Parcells talked about needing/wanting to win. A bus driver. Not flashy, not overly anything. Just a guy not only willing but able to sit down, shut up, and drive the bus from point A to point B. That's what DT's done, especially this year. He's seen his fair share of bumpy roads, but ultimately, the bus did get to Point B this year with him in the driver seat.

I'm hoping the 2nd half BSU DT shows up for the HOD Bowl. NT wins without a doubt if that happens.

• Upvote 1

Right,wrong, or indifferent, I think the HOD bowl will define his career.

It won't matter even if he wins. We'll still have some putz come in here next year comparing other QB high school stats to his 40 time that somehow gives relevance to some twisted logic that we could have done so much better with anyone else at QB.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Agreed Rick. DT has played as a leader and with class and the respect of his teammates. I'll take that every time over a showboat who is only interested in his ability to get to the NFL. DT is a great representative of UNT. We have been privileged to have him as our QB. Brelan and B Byrd would be the first to agree. No matter what a message board spouts it's the respect of your teammates and coaches' that really count in the end. Go DT take the Mean Green to a win over UNLV just like you took it upon yourself against a very talented Ball State team!

• Upvote 2

Competition being equal, Derek Thompson only lost one...maybe two games in his career...'13 Tulane certainly and maybe '12 Troy. Every other loss he's been starter for...unless I'm forgetting something...doesn't rest on his shoulders.

That said, I honestly can't think of a game he's won.

It's very simple. He's Trent Dilfer. He for the most part drove a bus and rarely into a curb. I think there's little question that when we went with a tempo offnse and got DT out of the pocket and into a rythem that he was a more than servicable quarterback, but for whatever reason that wasn't who he was the majority of the time and that won't...and shouldn't...be his legacy.

Talk of HOF is ridiculous. Orr and Chancellor...and I'll listen to arguments on Trice...but let me remind you that there were those hoping Trice wouldn't win a starting safety spot out of camp before this season. You start considering DT for HOF and you may as well just lower your HOF bar to every 3 year starter who helped you to one winning season and bowl game.

Derek Thompson is just a dude.

• Upvote 2

It won't matter even if he wins. We'll still have some putz come in here next year comparing other QB high school stats to his 40 time that somehow gives relevance to some twisted logic that we could have done so much better with anyone else at QB.

Rick

I don't know that UNT would've been any better with any of its other quarterbacks starting over DT. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's been bad over the span of his career with the exception of a couple of games and just because the other quarterbacks might be even worse than him doesn't mean he's been remotely good.

Edited by Gibbz
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't know that UNT would've been any better with any of its other quarterbacks starting over DT. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's been bad over the span of his career with the exception of a few games and just because the other quarterbacks might be even worse than him doesn't mean he's been remotely good.

I don't agree. DT, in no way, "has been bad over the span of his career" as you say. DT has done what he could to better this team and program. Seems to me UNT with DT under center is playing in its first bowl since 2004 and the first Jan. 1st bowl since the 1940's. DT is the QB of the team and an integral part of helping to turn this program into a winning one once again. DT is one of the leaders of the Mean Green. We have seen lots of UNT QB's unable to lead the team to a bowl game. DT us not one of those. DT will lead the Mean Green out on Jan. 1st in the HOD Bowl. That, in itself, is enough to counter the "bad over the span of his career" thinking.

Good luck to DT and all the Mean Green! Beat UNLV!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Right,wrong, or indifferent, I think the HOD bowl will define his career.

Pretty much this. If we win - he'll be one of only 3 QB's that's ever one a Bowl for us. Our last one might have been great, but was taken from us too soon. Given all the numbers Derek put up, it'll be rarefied air he'll be walking in.

• Upvote 1

Competition being equal, Derek Thompson only lost one...maybe two games in his career...'13 Tulane certainly and maybe '12 Troy. Every other loss he's been starter for...unless I'm forgetting something...doesn't rest on his shoulders.

That said, I honestly can't think of a game he's won.

It's very simple. He's Trent Dilfer. He for the most part drove a bus and rarely into a curb. I think there's little question that when we went with a tempo offnse and got DT out of the pocket and into a rythem that he was a more than servicable quarterback, but for whatever reason that wasn't who he was the majority of the time and that won't...and shouldn't...be his legacy.

Talk of HOF is ridiculous. Orr and Chancellor...and I'll listen to arguments on Trice...but let me remind you that there were those hoping Trice wouldn't win a starting safety spot out of camp before this season. You start considering DT for HOF and you may as well just lower your HOF bar to every 3 year starter who helped you to one winning season and bowl game.

Derek Thompson is just a dude.

Not a Derek fan but he won the Ball State game by himself.

He was incredible. Not sure our coaches ever tailored the gameplan to his strengths. He ran the hurry up great and even scrambled effectively...I remember fretting seriously when he went out in the Ball State game.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I don't know that UNT would've been any better with any of its other quarterbacks starting over DT. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's been bad over the span of his career with the exception of a couple of games and just because the other quarterbacks might be even worse than him doesn't mean he's been remotely good.

Probably one of the most uninformed posts I've seen on here in quite a while.

And I'm being nice. It is Christmas, after all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

“I am going to capture you and hold you hostage in my sex dungeon!”

I was going to post about this was the first time I've heard "sex dungeons" discussed on this board. But then I thought about it some more and concluded that, on GMG, one should never dismiss the likelihood of that particular conversation taking place.

• Upvote 1

I was going to post about this was the first time I've heard "sex dungeons" discussed on this board. But then I thought about it some more and concluded that, on GMG, one should never dismiss the likelihood of that particular conversation taking place.

Especially in a Derek Thompson thread?

• Upvote 1

My opinion of the 'DT Era' is undoubtedly being tempered by what our quarterback is doing in the Cotton Bowl today. Before, I would not call myself one of Derek Thompson's biggest fans. That being said, converting all those 3rd down and longs, then scoring to give us the 14-7 lead over UNLV was impressive considering his knee injury and all the hits he took. As flat as we came out, someone really needed to step up and I was surprised to see him shoulder the team and will us into the endzone repeatedly.

Thompson gave everything he had to put one final 'w' in the books, and the stage could not have been more important for our program. I am proud to see him leave this program on a positive note, and believe his MVP trophy is a testament to the impact these years will have on the future success of UNT football. There have been ups and downs with DT, but his legacy will not be forgotten now that we have the Heart of Dallas Bowl trophy to plant in the athletics offices.

Thanks Derek, and Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

I'll second that JAG.

Honestly, he's no Scott hall. And I'm not sure he's better than tune. That said if he's the Mvp of the bowl I'll reconsider

WELL?

I gave him a handshake and a slap on the back after the game. But as I have said there IS better QB talent on the rise. I talked to Pegram and Rollins on the field today and they are both ready to ball out in 14.

I can accept that, BUT talent and a dollar will buy you a newspaper. Leadership is what counts and Derek proved that he had that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1