Norm Hitzges talks about UNT Football

Those quotes above came out of his mouth on the radio when I was last listening, which was around 1994-95, and I have refuse to listen ever since. And they were said at a very critical time when North Texas was doing it's damndest to finance a required stadium seating capacity increase in order to make the push to get out of 1-AA Hell. Next to the latest stadium student fee proposal to build Apogee, this was possibly the most important time for NT alumni to come together for a common bond, yet all that prick that so many seem inclined on stroking around here could say was a bunch of sarcastic, misinformed shit about his own school.

Rick

Hold grudges much?

Over the years it has seemed to me that those that disparage Craig on here do so because he doesn't tout UNT like he does OU combined with the fact they don't like the ticket because they don't talk sports every segment.

Craig grew up in Oklahoma and was a sports freak. He knew he wanted to be in media and knew North Texas was his best avenue. For him it was a means to an end. I can't fault the guy for that. Nor can I fault him for still having his affinity for OU. He grew up watching one of the most dominant college programs ever and it made a forever lasting impression. Over the last few years he has never talked badly about NT and recounts fondly his time at NT and the RTVF program. Because he doesn't drink the green kool-aid like Georgio or any of us doesn't mean he should get ripped. Just my .02

And side note, as someone that spent 6 years in sports radio every segment about sports gets BORING!!!!!! There are only so many times you can breakdown the secondary of the Seattle Seahawks. UGH. I remember if I spent even half a segment not talking sports I would get nasty emails berating me for not talking sports every single second. What a beating.

• Upvote 5

Hold grudges much?

Over the years it has seemed to me that those that disparage Craig on here do so because he doesn't tout UNT like he does OU combined with the fact they don't like the ticket because they don't talk sports every segment.

Craig grew up in Oklahoma and was a sports freak. He knew he wanted to be in media and knew North Texas was his best avenue. For him it was a means to an end. I can't fault the guy for that. Nor can I fault him for still having his affinity for OU. He grew up watching one of the most dominant college programs ever and it made a forever lasting impression. Over the last few years he has never talked badly about NT and recounts fondly his time at NT and the RTVF program. Because he doesn't drink the green kool-aid like Georgio or any of us doesn't mean he should get ripped. Just my .02

And side note, as someone that spent 6 years in sports radio every segment about sports gets BORING!!!!!! There are only so many times you can breakdown the secondary of the Seattle Seahawks. UGH. I remember if I spent even half a segment not talking sports I would get nasty emails berating me for not talking sports every single second. What a beating.

Agree, taking three paragraphs to load us up with excuses as to why someone for no reason at all would bag on his own school, IS a beating.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 12

Is he asking for some? Maybe showing up and NOT talking bad about us is his way of asking for forgiveness? I don't know?

If I was FireHelmetJesus as some here like to call me....maybe I would forgive him,..LOL!

Rick

One has to ask for forgiveness in order to receive it? You could just forgive him for an uniformed opinion and move on.

How many of you have your name on a wall in Apogee for donating money??? Junior does...

Doesnt matter, he still likes the team he grew up following and said some stupid things 20 years ago. He's a prick and doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt despite his contributions and anything nice he said about us since. He must be hated, dispised and disparaged on this fourm even in threads that have nothing to do with him [sarcasm]

This is the how we treat our fellow alumni donors and people wonder why we don't have more???

Edited by Baby Arm!
  • Upvote 4

Someone sent in a question this morning about UNT football building on their success this year and if we could ever break into relevance in the Dallas market. Basically said McCarney is the right guy for the job and said some things that most of us already know about us being in an uphill battle with the Dallas market because of all the pro sports and even college teams in the area. Thought it was good they are at least talking about us though. No mention about how being in the Heart of Dallas bowl could help us, though.

Some of us have been hearing that for 50 plus years that which I have in bold letters.

It would be an uphill battle (as it has been) if you saw what most of us older alums have seen much of our adult lives BUT...........

......few of you were around in 1994 when we helped launch 1310 'The Ticket' since they carried our football and baskeball that first year.

......few of you were around in 1994 when we drew almost 20K a home game (like we are 20 years later) albeit with a much larger constituency today :( and North Texas won that season with Matt Simon as our HFC. We were "The Talk" of The Ticket with post game call-in shows--it was uncanny to the extent that it also caught SMU's attention who would outbid us the next 20 or so years for "The Ticket" as their flagship radio station.

Formula One:

If you draw NCAA FBS level crowds at Apogee and win season after season after season after season, too, there is no way that the the DFW media would ever ignore the Mean Green because................during that same time (in the near future) new DFW media types & faces are going to discover just how large our enrollment and DFW alumnus numbers are and how that could help them toward getting nice quarterly ratings books as in.................Nielsen & Arbitron Ratings?

It is then that UNT becomes personal for all these low or no information about UNT media types respective professional needs and those sacred ratings--the very thing that keeps them employed or unemployed.......

BUT STILL AT NORTH TEXAS............you have to win and beat a Somebody U every once in awhile, too' a la Boise State who Norm Hitzghes back in 2011 said on 1310 The Ticket (as I listened to him that one day) ; that he did say Boise State was the kind of football program that UNT could very much so emulate and FINALLY.....................we "MUST" draw better at Apogee Stadium--nothing below 25K per home game averages for starters and that hopefully very soon. All of this would not be ignored by the DFW media.....I assure you it won't. We should know what they will ignore, though because wouldn't we all be experts with that subject?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

How many of you have your name on a wall in Apogee for donating money??? Junior does...

Doesnt matter, he still likes the team he grew up following and said some stupid things 20 years ago. He's a prick and doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt despite his contributions and anything nice he said about us since. He must be hated, dispised and disparaged on this fourm even in threads that have nothing to do with him [sarcasm]

This is the how we treat our fellow alumni donors and people wonder why we don't have more???

Yeah um, maybe we shouldn't bring up Dr. Mercer, The Ticket and how we have treated alumni in the past?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny thread. Posting trash about a guy who shows up at games and donates to the university. Seems to me that he would be in the minority of local alums...attending games and donating money and all that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Funny thread. Posting trash about a guy who shows up at games and donates to the university. Seems to me that he would be in the minority of local alums...attending games and donating money and all that.

Totally agree kram. I mean, all Dr. Mercer did was pour his heart and soul into our RTVF dept, going to games, donating years of effort traveling around, often times by himself, to bring us play by play as the voice of the Mean Green, only to get stabbed in the back by those he helped get where they are today and by the university and athletic program he loved so much.

I hope honoring him by naming the press room after him was enough to make up for for such a sorry turn of events 20 years ago?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

Totally agree kram. I mean, all Dr. Mercer did was pour his heart and soul into our RTVF dept, going to games, donating years of effort traveling around, often times by himself, to bring us play by play as the voice of the Mean Green, only to get stabbed in the back by those he helped get where they are today and by the university and athletic program he loved so much.

I hope honoring him by naming the press room after him was enough to make up for for such a sorry turn of events 20 years ago?

Rick

What did Junior do to Bill Mercer?

If I was FireHelmetJesus as some here like to call me....maybe I would forgive him,..LOL!

Rick

Good stuff. I may change my GMG handle to FireHelmetJesus

This is like being in love with the girl who won't love you back. We hate her because of her other allegiances but would welcome her home at any time.

I feel this not just about Junes ( who is radio genius in my opinion ) but about every alumn who has gone astray.

I hate you for not being true .... But I will let you back in this big green door with open arms whenever you come to your senses.

I'm proud Junes is a UNT alumn.

Just wish he was proud to be one.

Tears on my key board.

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Upvote 1

I feel this not just about Junes ( who is radio genius in my opinion ) but about every alumn who has gone astray.

This is exactly what it is. Junior is the most visible because he is a huge radio personality that works side by side with one of the most faithful alums we have, so his meh attitude toward UNT is magnified even more.

When I think of Junior and UNT, I think of the OU fan/UNT alum I spoke with outside OU's stadium in 2003. He was with 2 other OU fans and completely decked out in OU gear. We were just talking UNT football when his buddies began to giggle. I ask them what was so funny, and they told me that T-Shirt fan graduated form UNT and had never stepped one foot into any classroom associated with OU.

Junior is that guy to a bunch of us. And that is probably unfair. I would bet that you may see him make an appearance at the bowl game and if we actually continue winning, you will see him at future home games.

If we beat Texas, you will absolutely see him at the SMU game. He is representative of about 90k alumni that we have in the Dallas area. UNT? Meh.