Must read new UNT Prez Neal Smatresk article

Harry

Neal Smatresk, the president of the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, was officially tapped Thursday to be the next president of the University of North Texas. He will assume the position Feb. 3.

The Board of Regents voted unanimously to name Smatresk as the new president during a teleconference meeting Thursday morning. The appointment comes after he was named the sole finalist for the position Nov. 20.

The university spent nearly a year searching for a replacement after President Lane Rawlins announced in March that he wanted to retire by the end of 2013. He will stay in the role of president until Smatresk takes over in February.

Smatresk was in Denton for the vote. Afterward, he sat down with the Denton Record-Chronicle to talk about his upcoming transition.

Q: What have you learned about UNT since you were nominated as the sole finalist for the presidency?

A: Remembering that we spent 23 years in Arlington [at the University of Texas at Arlington], I knew quite a bit about the University of North Texas. To add to that history, obviously, Ive talked to a whole lot of the folks here, communicated with some of the deans with the provost, and Im beginning to have more talks with the vice president for research and Lane Rawlins, who has been absolutely terrific in this whole process.

Read much much more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20131212-unanimous-decision.ece

It sounds like he's got a great head on his shoulders. Only thing that still bothers me is his avoidance of saying wether anything else attracted him to UNT beyond being near his family. Would never really hold it against him though.

Improving the IT infrastructure of the campus is long overdue. And before ya'll start touting the Talon supercomputer, I hear you. There just needs to be better, broader IT systems in place campus wide.

----

And so he'll remain in red for the bowl game huh...

• Upvote 1

A lot of guarded statements, but understandable at this point.

Seems more concerned about burning bridges at UNLV than puffing up his new employer.

He seems very well qualified and with a high approval rating. I frankly would like to see a little more enthusiasm about NT than he has displayed. Going to work somewhere just because it is closer to family is not something that most employers would be happy with.

• Upvote 3

From what I understand, he is still on the UNLV payroll and stil being paid to do his job (and ballyhoo the Rebel Nation) while there.

In fact, hasn't it been written that he will still be at the HOD Bowl game as UNLV's president?

I think our BOR's have heard all the good stuff they needed to hear from him and so we will all likely have to wait before all that trickles down to us, right? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is nice to get someone happy where he is. I am a firm believer that in most cases we carry or happiness (or misery) with us. Although I am biased, UNT is a better prospect in higher ed than UNLV. I think he realizes it. He wants the challenge of taking us from a Tier 2 to a Tier 1. He did not overtly say it,but it is in his inferences.

Can't blame a guy for making moves where it is clear he is trying to move up the food chain with each step. UTA then UNLV then UNT. Clearly moving up each step.

Thankfully, as the closet Mean Green fans from San Antone mentioned a few weeks back, GMG puts UNT in the same neighborhood as Harvard/MIT, so his options will be limited from here forward.

• Upvote 3

Btw, before I read this I had already received my first email from Smatresk announcing his start date. Did you guys get that too? If not you might want to get on the email list...a lot of it is similar to the Alumni monthly update, but sometimes they have drawings for prizes and other announcements that aren't in the other emails.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 1

Btw, before I read this I had already received my first email from Smatresk announcing his start date. Did you guys get that too? If not you might want to get on the email list...a lot of it is similar to the Alumni monthly update, but sometimes they have drawings for prizes and other announcements that aren't in the other emails.

so what IS his start date?

First of all and as I know this boards founder Harry M. would also tell you and especially to all of you newbies on GMG.com. Nevertheless, this forum is also interested in what takes place with the academic part of our school as well as our standing with similar metropolitan-located universities statewide, regionally and nationally.

Most all of us hope that under Dr. Smatresk's leadership that our school resumes full speed ahead with our reaching Tier 1 research status. All that which a state education board started with originally were just UH, Texas Tech and North Texas; the former 2 are already there and since that took place and maybe because of our delay in attaining it (?) other schools were allowed to jump on this Tier 1 challenge as well. (Wonder why the state education board really dropped the exclusivity part with the original 3 schools in this Tier 1 venture in the first place is a question I've had for awhile now).

Is it really true Dr. Smatresk and his staff raised almost a half billiion dollars while at UNLV?

:bling: No bout' a doubt it, what we are doing in Dallas in the Cotton Bowl Stadium in a series of days leading up to New Years Day would have made for a good start in a sort of unofficial feeler gatherings with Dr. Smatresk; that is, with his meeting a few of our Rich, Famous & Interested In UNT as future serious potential donors for the Tier 1 cause. Ask other donor-successful NCAA FBS level schools just how important athletics has been to all their respective university constituency's coffers.

Only wish Dr. Smatresk were on our payroll on New Years Day instead of that other school, but who would ever know about a few secret bowl week get togethers with potential Big Time donors and meeting at an impressieve downtown Big D location like (lets say) the Adolphus Towers office building (where I had a friend who used to office there in what now seems like another lifetime ago).

Incoming UNT president Smatresk helping us attain Tier 1 for North Texas and then just maybe the rest might very well be called clear sailing?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I can relate to smastrek having taken the same route - Hawaii Las Vegas back to North Texas. Las Vegas was such a great place to live. You have mountains la in four hours people visiting all of the time and I met lifelong friends and great peoe while there. I became a rebel t shirt fan and then bball season ticket holder because of the way they embrace the city and back. Very UTSA and New Mexico like. Hawaii was awesome but far and not an easy lifestyle due to cost. But now back in dfw he will be a lot like Mac very positive easy to like very involved and visionary. UNT is a plum job he realizes it and we have a lot work to do - leadership community and fan base. GMG