Bowl projection update 12.1.13: UNT vs. Michigan HOD

Harry

If you think that wandering out on the field and lining up like some Jr. High band is better

I forgot to tell you that last Saturday(UTAlamo), while following the band in from the Mean Green March, that I got a chance to ask the band director why it was that they don't march into the stadium, rather than just running out there to get in place? He said.."we just don't have time to work that in".

Well, we were walking with the band as they marched along to that cool beat they do along the sidewalk, and the guy is a great guy(sorry can't remember his name), and thought to myself, "but they are doing it now, why can't they do it as they enter the stadium???". So I went ahead and asked him again in another way, and pointed out to him how cool it would be if they would just simply do what they were doing right now? And he immediately repeated himself "yeah well, we just don't have the time to work that in". And I let it go.

So, the answer to your long standing question as to why the GB does not march into the stadium with showmamship is....they simply don't want to.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know if we match up well against Michigan.

Our O has to show up to this game for NT to have a chance. The D will come to play & ST has been rock solid since week 3. I hope Mac & Canales throw the kitchen sink at whoever the opponent is. Most importantly, I pray to little Baby Football Jesus that the DT from the 2nd half of Ball St. shows up for this one.

Can't wait!! Big Blue vs Big Green in Big D!!! My bowl pants are going bezerk just thinking about this potential matchup!

:D

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

I forgot to tell you that last Saturday(UTAlamo), while following the band in from the Mean Green March, that I got a chance to ask the band director why it was that they don't march into the stadium, rather than just running out there to get in place? He said.."we just don't have time to work that in".

Well, we were walking with the band as they marched along to that cool beat they do along the sidewalk, and the guy is a great guy(sorry can't remember his name), and thought to myself, "but they are doing it now, why can't they do it as they enter the stadium???". So I went ahead and asked him again in another way, and pointed out to him how cool it would be if they would just simply do what they were doing right now? And he immediately repeated himself "yeah well, we just don't have the time to work that in". And I let it go.

So, the answer to your long standing question as to why the GB does not march into the stadium with showmamship is....they simply don't want to.

Rick

Maybe they want to be known for their music ability and not their marching ability? Lots of folks can learn how to march. For example, communists.

I kid, I kid. Go Mean Green!

Decision will not come until a week from today. Monday Dec. 2 (according to the website.)

About the bowl, not the band. I guess some are used to off season starting right after the final scheduled game.

http://theheartofdallas.org/events.php

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

The only surprise here is that the director outwardly admitted it.

There are people who actually like the Green Brigade style. Thank you for posting. Thank you Silver for loving marching bands.

Hmmm, this sounds like Dr. Williams dismissive response (thank you for your input) when I went up to him after one of our games (at Fouts) and advised him that the visiting teams pep band had made a bigger sound than the full contingent of the GB.

BTW, the GB doesn't really have a style.......unless you count "style" as being the lack thereof.

• Downvote 3

Hmmm, this sounds like Dr. Williams dismissive response (thank you for your input) when I went up to him after one of our games (at Fouts) and advised him that the visiting teams pep band had made a bigger sound than the full contingent of the GB.

BTW, the GB doesn't really have a style.......unless you count "style" as being the lack thereof.

Whatever you call it, just know that some people like it.

Give me a break. He probably dismisses you because he goes "Oh, here we go."

• Upvote 3

Silver....

The "style" you refer to of the GB is "Corps" style. Check DCI.org for a better idea of what the GB is going for.

Dr. Williams is the director of the GB you refer to and his response to Rick is spot on. The students in the GB make a huge time commitment in order to play more difficult music (better than most, btw) and march substantially more difficult drill (also better than most) than the large majority of college marching bands. Oh, and they only get 1 credit hour for the six hours/week they rehearse.

The idea is that it is substantially more important to put on a great half time show than to walk on the field in a certain way...

Comparing us to Michigan in band terms (and Michigan is AWESOME at what they do) would be like comparing a 72 Stingray to a brand new C7 Corvette. Both are gorgeous and have incredibly appealing aspects that may fill the holes of the other.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to add as well that as a music education major (the vast majority of the band) learning techniques for Corps style marching is highly beneficial to your career. The best high school programs in the country march Corps style and being an alumni of the GB makes you look very hireable in an interview for a high school BD gig.

No way Michigan is in HOD game, and if they were that would be very bad for us.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, great season but we arent on that level just yet. We would have to have a dynamic offense to compete at that level. Georgia was nice in that we were tied in the 3rd, but HAVING TO HAVE 2 scores from special teams to compete is not a sustainable model.

• Upvote 3

If the whole team shows up to play like they did against Rice and Ball State, we could take a Michigan team that nearly crapped its pants at home against Akron...but not if they come out as the team that nearly offed Ohio State. Well, maybe. Both teams had ups and downs, so there's no way to know how we'll fare against them until the game is played...IF they are our opponent. I don't see a bowl with such a good payout taking Texas State unless they travel in-state really well. As I noted in the other thread, the ACC and MAC have some really good teams that are likely to get left out of their regular tie-ins. So if we don't see Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska...I'd suspect for a decent payout in a warmer climate in a great city, we'd get a pretty awesome opponent. I'm betting the payout for #4-6 Big 10 are probably similar to what HoD offers, so if they get an early offer we can still be pretty likely to see one of the teams in the middle of the B1G show up with us in Dallas. If not, I'd expect to see one of the ACC or MAC teams that is likely to otherwise sit at home rather than 6-6 Texas State.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1