Hey, guys and dolls going to Tulsa...

...my family might be going up there to visit my dad's family. And, so, I've about got them talked into going to the game as well.

When attending games at Skelly/Chapman, we dine beforehand at the Coney-I-Lander across the street from the school there on 11th. If you want to come in and berate my parents for conceiving me, that's where we'll be.

Derek Thompson will be breaking a few more school records Saturday, so I hope you all can make it and such.

You know what I mean?

Anyway, here is the full text repost of a post I made on June 3, 2013 about where to eat and whatnot in Tulsa. You can read it again for your own, personal enjoyment:

I have bias for Tulsa because my parents are from there and I went to grad school at TU.

Living in Tulsa was okay for three years, but I was ready to come back to Dallas. Tulsa, for sure, has many unique eating establishments. If you like non-chain food, Tulsa is about the Non-Chain Capital of Good Food in America,

Tulsa is about as safe as you can get on the crime side, as long as you stay South. The west (of 75) and north sides (of 244) are no-gos.

I know I've posted all of this before, but here is an off-the-top of my head list of unqie eating places in Tulsa:

Bar-B-Que: Elmer's, home of the Badwich

Seafood: Bodean (51st Street)

Cajun: S&J Oyster Co (Detroit and 1st? Near downtown)

American: Coney-I-Lander (several locations in Tulsa)

American: Bill & Ruth's Subs (several locations in and around Tulsa)

American: Ron's Hamburgers and Chili (two or three locations around Tulsa)

American: Ike's Chili (downtown)

American: The Brook (South Peoria)

American: Weber's Root Beer (still make their own Root Beer, grill great Burgers...S Peoria)

Lebanese: Jamil's Steakhouse (still on 51st, but now on the east side of Harvard)

Breakfast: Brookside By Day (South Peoria...the also a BBD II "The Duece" up near Jenks at 81st and Harvard. I lived at 81st and Yale back in the day, so The Duece was a good breakfast/brunch option)

Tex-Mex: Senor Tequila (original on 51st, close to Jamil's...look, if you're absolutely jonesing for Tex-Mex try this place. But, really, we're from Texas and it's not going to be any better than the Tex-Mex you find around DFW.

I never had outstanding Italian in Tulsa. Like Tex-Mex, you've probably had better here in DFW.

South Peoria/Brookside area (roughly E 15th north up Peoria to 51st) has many restaurants and bars: The Brook, Kilkenny's Irish Pub, Webers, Elmer's, one of the Ron's, one of the Coney-I-Landers...hit Brookside, for sure, on a Friday night.

Utica Square is an upscale shopping area in Tulsa. Not an enclosed mall. Not a totally planned thing like the new set of retails in Allen or Firewheel. It's an outdoor store-to-store that has been there since the indoor mall was the thing; so, it's kid of ahead of its time. Maybe a little Highland Park Village feel, but Tulsa-sized and speed. Polo Grill is worth checking out there if you're a sit down and drink wine-type. it's kind of a date place. Or, at least, I used it as a date place.

You can see that most of the stuff is American. But, that's kind of to be expected. You're in the middle of the country in the heart of old Route 66. It's unique and I wish to hell TU were staying in C-USA with us. I've got plenty of relatives up there to visit. But, you know how it is - once you get your own wife, kids, and whatnot, you see cousins less and less. UNT-TU was always a good excuse to get back up there.

• Upvote 1

...my family might be going up there to visit my dad's family. And, so, I've about got them talked into going to the game as well.

When attending games at Skelly/Chapman, we dine beforehand at the Coney-I-Lander across the street from the school there on 11th. If you want to come in and berate my parents for conceiving me, that's where we'll be.

Derek Thompson will be breaking a few more school records Saturday, so I hope you all can make it and such.

You know what I mean?

Anyway, here is the full text repost of a post I made on June 3, 2013 about where to eat and whatnot in Tulsa. You can read it again for your own, personal enjoyment:

I have bias for Tulsa because my parents are from there and I went to grad school at TU.

Living in Tulsa was okay for three years, but I was ready to come back to Dallas. Tulsa, for sure, has many unique eating establishments. If you like non-chain food, Tulsa is about the Non-Chain Capital of Good Food in America,

Tulsa is about as safe as you can get on the crime side, as long as you stay South. The west (of 75) and north sides (of 244) are no-gos.

I know I've posted all of this before, but here is an off-the-top of my head list of unqie eating places in Tulsa:

Bar-B-Que: Elmer's, home of the Badwich

Seafood: Bodean (51st Street)

Cajun: S&J Oyster Co (Detroit and 1st? Near downtown)

American: Coney-I-Lander (several locations in Tulsa)

American: Bill & Ruth's Subs (several locations in and around Tulsa)

American: Ron's Hamburgers and Chili (two or three locations around Tulsa)

American: Ike's Chili (downtown)

American: The Brook (South Peoria)

American: Weber's Root Beer (still make their own Root Beer, grill great Burgers...S Peoria)

Lebanese: Jamil's Steakhouse (still on 51st, but now on the east side of Harvard)

Breakfast: Brookside By Day (South Peoria...the also a BBD II "The Duece" up near Jenks at 81st and Harvard. I lived at 81st and Yale back in the day, so The Duece was a good breakfast/brunch option)

Tex-Mex: Senor Tequila (original on 51st, close to Jamil's...look, if you're absolutely jonesing for Tex-Mex try this place. But, really, we're from Texas and it's not going to be any better than the Tex-Mex you find around DFW.

I never had outstanding Italian in Tulsa. Like Tex-Mex, you've probably had better here in DFW.

South Peoria/Brookside area (roughly E 15th north up Peoria to 51st) has many restaurants and bars: The Brook, Kilkenny's Irish Pub, Webers, Elmer's, one of the Ron's, one of the Coney-I-Landers...hit Brookside, for sure, on a Friday night.

Utica Square is an upscale shopping area in Tulsa. Not an enclosed mall. Not a totally planned thing like the new set of retails in Allen or Firewheel. It's an outdoor store-to-store that has been there since the indoor mall was the thing; so, it's kid of ahead of its time. Maybe a little Highland Park Village feel, but Tulsa-sized and speed. Polo Grill is worth checking out there if you're a sit down and drink wine-type. it's kind of a date place. Or, at least, I used it as a date place.

You can see that most of the stuff is American. But, that's kind of to be expected. You're in the middle of the country in the heart of old Route 66. It's unique and I wish to hell TU were staying in C-USA with us. I've got plenty of relatives up there to visit. But, you know how it is - once you get your own wife, kids, and whatnot, you see cousins less and less. UNT-TU was always a good excuse to get back up there.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

Best beer drinking establishments?

I

What are you into?

If you want a collegey, true dive bar, there's one right across the street from the stadium on Harvard, right behind the Burger King. It's "The Buc" or The Buckaneer Bar. It's been there forever. The visitor's seats are right across from it anyway. You could easily get lit up there, grab a burger from the King, then walk across the street to the stadium. That would be classic college style.

The Cherry Street scene is a bit more upscale than The Buc. In that area, if you like food with your beer, the Full Moon Cafe is a good spot. They've got the same sh*t everyone else does Burgers, Nachos, and whatnot. Love music. Dueling pianos on the weekends...or, at least they used to. It's west of the campus at East 15th & (I think) S. Peoria.

Also on 15th is Kilkenny's Irish Pub. Great food. Great beer. Excellent atmosphere. A step up in atmosphere from Full Moon Cafe, two steps up from The Buc.

The Brook is up the road from Full Moon Cafe. In fact, if you're on East 15th, just turn on S. Peoria, and everything between about mid 20s to mid 40s in address is known as "Brookside." Many restaurants in that area. The Brook is good, old, reliable. I liken it to Kinkenny's. A step up from Full Moon, two up from The Buc. It's a place to go if you're also in it for dinner.

Those areas on East 15th and off of it on S. Peoria - Cherry Street and Brookside - have many choices.

So, in order, then:

Wearing your flip-flops/sandals/goal: get trashed = The Buc

Maybe wearing sandals, maybe shoes/goal: hungry, but not choosy = Full Moon

Wearing shoes/goal: want to sit down and eat/have a drink or two before or after dinner = Kilkenny's or The Brook

If you're still young and brave enough to hit strip joints, the diviest is Cloud 9 on 31st, east of the campus. I'd be shocked if it was still open. But, if it is, it's sure to still be divey. This will be the strip club of gals with the most tatooes and daddy issues.

Night Trips on Sheridan is the other strip club. It claims to be a bit more high brow than Cloud 9. How much more? Well, I mean, you're in Oklahoma at this point, so...it is what it is.

Just remember this about any and all strip clubs...no one forced you to go; you went of your own volition. And, if you go to a strip club in Okahoma, you're in a strip club in Oklahoma.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I

What are you into?

If you want a collegey, true dive bar, there's one right across the street from the stadium on Harvard, right behind the Burger King. It's "The Buc" or The Buckaneer Bar. It's been there forever. The visitor's seats are right across from it anyway. You could easily get lit up there, grab a burger from the King, then walk across the street to the stadium. That would be classic college style.

The Cherry Street scene is a bit more upscale than The Buc. In that area, if you like food with your beer, the Full Moon Cafe is a good spot. They've got the same sh*t everyone else does Burgers, Nachos, and whatnot. Love music. Dueling pianos on the weekends...or, at least they used to. It's west of the campus at East 15th & (I think) S. Peoria.

Also on 15th is Kilkenny's Irish Pub. Great food. Great beer. Excellent atmosphere. A step up in atmosphere from Full Moon Cafe, two steps up from The Buc.

The Brook is up the road from Full Moon Cafe. In fact, if you're on East 15th, just turn on S. Peoria, and everything between about mid 20s to mid 40s in address is known as "Brookside." Many restaurants in that area. The Brook is good, old, reliable. I liken it to Kinkenny's. A step up from Full Moon, two up from The Buc. It's a place to go if you're also in it for dinner.

Those areas on East 15th and off of it on S. Peoria - Cherry Street and Brookside - have many choices.

So, in order, then:

Wearing your flip-flops/sandals/goal: get trashed = The Buc

Maybe wearing sandals, maybe shoes/goal: hungry, but not choosy = Full Moon

Wearing shoes, goal: want to sit down and eat/have a drink or two before or after dinner = Kilkenny's or The Brook

If you're still young and brave enough to hit strip joints, the diviest is Cloud 9 on 31st, east of the campus. I'd be shocked if it was still open. But, if it is, it's sure to still be divey. This will be the strip club of gals with the most tatooes and daddy issues.

Night Trips on Sheridan is the other strip club. It claims to be a bit more high brow than Cloud 9. How much more? Well, I mean, you're in Oklahoma at this point, so...it is what it is.

Just remember this about any and all strip clubs...no one forced you to go; you went of your own volition. And, if you go to a strip club in Okahoma, you're in a strip club in Oklahoma.

Wow thanks. Thinking the craft beer, or microbrewery route, if indeed there are any.

There may be. I lived there from 2000-2003, so the craft beer/microbrewery thing wasn't huge yet. Tulsa, though edgey in some areas, is not generally a national trendsetter with such social phenomenon.

I leave it to the World Wide Innerwebs to help you in your quest for Tulsa area craftbeers. Although, they may still call it Kickapoo Joy Juice up in them there parts!

The Tavern is on the same street: http://www.taverntulsa.com/location/

McNellie's is up one street: http://www.mcnellies.com/site/sections/1

I left Tulsa in 2003, and it didn't have much of a downtown scene back then. McNellie's opened in 2005(?).

Here's a pretty good list of what downtown has to offer these days: http://www.downtowntulsaok.com/directory/eat-drink

There used to be The Hardwood Bar & Grill across the street from the stadium on 11th, but it's long gone. Haven't been up there enough lately to know. Many sports bars come and go.

Tulsa has Chili's and a Hard Rock Cafe. Those two will surely have sports showing.

I'm not sure how many will be showing hockey, though. Oregon/Oregon State/The Civil War will be on Friday night as well as Central Florida, who has a dark horse chance of getting into a BCS bowl.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Also across the street from the stadium is Ed's Hurricane Lounge. It's been there forever. I haven't listed it because it's a biker bar. If you've got a Harley or can hang with the Harley crowd, Ed's is your place. They have pool tables, televisions, and Harley lady bartenders...middle aged Harley lady bartenders.

Ed's isn't a wife and kids-type place, and doesn't really have a college atmosphere. But, if you like that type of old school biker bar, Ed's is your place. I'm sure they'd switch the hockey game over for ya. My guess is most there will be too busy drinking, playing pool, and whatnot to care what's on their television.

Also across the street from the stadium is Ed's Hurricane Lounge. It's been there forever. I haven't listed it because it's a biker bar. If you've got a Harley or can hang with the Harley crowd, Ed's is your place. They have pool tables, televisions, and Harley lady bartenders...middle aged Harley lady bartenders.

Ed's isn't a wife and kids-type place, and doesn't really have a college atmosphere. But, if you like that type of old school biker bar, Ed's is your place. I'm sure they'd switch the hockey game over for ya. My guess is most there will be too busy drinking, playing pool, and whatnot to care what's on their television.

Thanks for all the info.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!