Jalen Jones update from Vito (UNT could be in play)

Harry

UNTs coaching staff has been in contact with people close to former SMU guard Jalen Jones, who will sit down with his former AAU coach Erven Davis and his parents on Saturday to consider his options.

Jones left SMU prior to the Mustangs season opener against TCU and is planning to transfer and play his final two seasons at another school.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/11/jalen-jones-update.html/

"What he wants to do now is play for a school that will have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament and be a major contributor on a winning team.”

I bet that statement right there is going to ruffle a few feathers around here. Can't wait to hear what people have to say about that.

With the talent on this team, he should have "a chance to play in the NCAA tournament"...

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

"What he wants to do now is play for a school that will have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament and be a major contributor on a winning team.”

I bet that statement right there is going to ruffle a few feathers around here. Can't wait to hear what people have to say about that.

all 300+ d 1 basketball schools have a chance...

Technically, every team has the chance to go to the NCAA tournament except for the Ivy League. It's called your conference tournament. It's a last chance, get out of jail free card.

And it's the main reason, whenever they discuss further expansions of the NCAA's, I roll my eyes. Really, everyone is already in (except for the Ivy's). About 30-40 teams have double elimination (your Kansas and Dukes of the world), in that they don't have to win their league tourneys to even get in, but most everyone does.

Edited by CMJ

Oh, I can wait. It will just be a rehash of the same stuff we have heard over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and....
  • Upvote 3

I've watched several SMU games (cue UNT90) and I can tell you this kid would be a very welcome addition. He will give us some scoring punch from inside and out. To me he's a Jordan Williams with more bulk. IF he were to come here I think he would upgrade our chances to do exactly what he wants to do in getting to the NCAA's.

• Upvote 2

I've watched several SMU games (cue UNT90) and I can tell you this kid would be a very welcome addition. He will give us some scoring punch from inside and out. To me he's a Jordan Williams with more bulk. IF he were to come here I think he would upgrade our chances to do exactly what he wants to do in getting to the NCAA's.

My thoughts also. I'd love to get another experienced JW-type player to come in for two years starting when Jordan is a Senior.

• Upvote 2

"What he wants to do now is play for a school that will have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament and be a major contributor on a winning team.

I'd say that, along with other comments made by his AAU coach, mean we are out of the running. We shall see.

Look, I love Jalen and Big E, but calling Jalen a 6'7 guard is hysterical. The reality is that he wanted huge minutes at the 3 for SMU, & Brown didn't think he had the skill to transition down from an undersized 4. Jalen is a tremendous energy player, can really board, is quick off the floor and a super competitive kid. That said, he hates every coach he's ever played for, and just doesn't have a guard or small forward skillset. He can't face, is an average shooter, and can't defend the perimeter. By all means, you guys should grab him, cause hes good and would have played alot this year at SMU, just not as much as he wanted, and not in the position he wanted

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"What he wants to do now is play of a school that will have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament and be a major contributor on a winning team.

The problem for him is, He wants to go somewhere that is winning and will go to the tourney, and he wants to start and play alot of minutes. Many of the schools that fit the first requirement arent going to fit the 2nd requirement. Thats why I think we are a good fit, We are possibly 1 player (and a new coach) away fron being pretty good.

Look, I love Jalen and Big E, but calling Jalen a 6'7 guard is hysterical. The reality is that he wanted huge minutes at the 3 for SMU, & Brown didn't think he had the skill to transition down from an undersized 4. Jalen is a tremendous energy player, can really board, is quick off the floor and a super competitive kid. That said, he hates every coach he's ever played for, and just doesn't have a guard or small forward skillset. He can't face, is an average shooter, and can't defend the perimeter. By all means, you guys should grab him, cause hes good and would have played alot this year at SMU, just not as much as he wanted, and not in the position he wanted

I agree that we should grab him if we meet the things he is looking for. He's never played the guard position and can't be much taller than 6-5 or 6-6. Jalen is a more athletic and taller Roger Franklin. He certainly starts for this team from day one at the 4 position. Can play the 3 in limited minutes.

I agree that we should grab him if we meet the things he is looking for. He's never played the guard position and can't be much taller than 6-5 or 6-6. Jalen is a more athletic and taller Roger Franklin. He certainly starts for this team from day one at the 4 position. Can play the 3 in limited minutes.

Yep. Roger was only about 6'3".

I know. I stood next to him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Exactly, but he won't come if you tell him he's playing the 4. The reason he left SMU is b/c he wanted to be a wing and just doesn't have the skill to do so.

• Upvote 1