Kids in costume promotion success?

jdennis82

Just curious how helpful the Halloween promo was?

I ask because with upcoming 2:30 Saturday kickoffs, if it was successful, why not a similar "free admission for kids in little league jerseys" promo? Would parents at their kids' sporting events in the morning be successful in inviting their team of kids (and their parents) to the NT game?

• Upvote 2

Just curious how helpful the Halloween promo was?

I ask because with upcoming 2:30 Saturday kickoffs, if it was successful, why not a similar "free admission for kids in little league jerseys" promo? Would parents at their kids' sporting events in the morning be successful in inviting their team of kids (and their parents) to the NT game?

Gotta admit. I don't really recall seeing kids at the game. Note: I didn't walk under the wing zone until after the game. That's where the kid's activities were supposed to be.
  • Upvote 1

I brought my two kids, and was a little disappointed in the 'trick-or-treating' under the wings.

The bouncehouse was cool and the joust was cool too. But other than that, there were only 4-5 'stands' with different UNT teams represented, and a table sponsored by Sport Clips. It took us all of 5 minutes to go through it.

This will need to improve if my wife/kids will allow it again.

• Upvote 2

I sold the wife on bringing our 3 and 6 year olds. It was oversold, however, atleast it was something. Kids got to knock their father out jousting... Got to win stuff and got the right amount of candy instead of having a giant bag full... Think there could have been more activities for the kids, but, my kids didn't seem to notice... They had fun.

• Upvote 3

I wish the athletic department would just make these last two games free general admission wing zone seating for kids 14 and under.

They've only done this for the one night that they knew no elementary aged kid would want to be at a football game.

Do this promotion any other day and it will be very successful.

I wish the athletic department would just make these last two games free general admission wing zone seating for kids 14 and under.

They've only done this for the one night that they knew no elementary aged kid would want to be at a football game.

Do this promotion any other day and it will be very successful.

Yes! This would be great on so many levels. This would REALLY engage the public and get some new folks thinking about UNT.

It definitely needed more work! Took the little one and the wife and both did not seem to be too impressed. Our church put on a better fall festival with a much cheaper budget. Where was a dunking booth? Where was the good candy? A maze? Anything? Maybe next year they need to have it outside on the grass area and put up more! One of those inflated mazes. UNT must need my wife... You want to raise a couple thousand hit her up. Sorry I just expected more, but the game made up for everything!!!!

I guess I was less wondering about the trick or treating but about whether attendance impact could be measured by the promo.

How many kids were admitted? How many families took advantage? Was there a noticeable spending increase on concessions?

If the answer to some or all of these justify similar promos, then a similar idea would be to take advantage of the fact that so many will be involved in youth sports during these Saturday mornings. If kids are free for dressing in their soccer/football jerseys, parents would have less reason to justify skipping the game & might even be encouraged to invite fellow parents of team members (those not affiliated with North Texas) to come to Apogee (and hopefully get hooked).

My kids said they had fun and we didn't even make it into the wing. They were kinda mad at me when we went at halftime and everything was gone though. I thought that what they did have there actually brought some families in that otherwise wouldn't have come. Ok job.

I guess I was less wondering about the trick or treating but about whether attendance impact could be measured by the promo.

How many kids were admitted? How many families took advantage? Was there a noticeable spending increase on concessions?

If the answer to some or all of these justify similar promos, then a similar idea would be to take advantage of the fact that so many will be involved in youth sports during these Saturday mornings. If kids are free for dressing in their soccer/football jerseys, parents would have less reason to justify skipping the game & might even be encouraged to invite fellow parents of team members (those not affiliated with North Texas) to come to Apogee (and hopefully get hooked).

Ahh...I suppose that would be a different way to think of it. Dollar signs. Hmm...I would guess that it would be neutral at best for Halloween since many folks with kids stayed home and perhaps some new folks attended. I would say that Saturday's game may have a bigger impact on received dollars. For parents, though, they are looking at justifying game attendance with kids (it's not the easiest thing to do with youthful short attention spans). I would think that, at this point, UNT would want to fill the stands rather than worry about nickels and dimes. Your proposed promo sounds good, but what about little nerd kids? How about kids 14 and under are free, regardless of little league jersey?

I never got under the stands to see how things were going, but was disappointed. We brought lots of candy to our tailgate. I guess it wasn't smart to think that the kids would go from tailgate to tailgate to trick or treat, but somehow, I was expecting it. We had some schtick, banter and repartee ready for the droolers. Will save the material for back in the hood next year.

There were a few kids dressed up in our section (Family Zone, duh)...probably should have brought our candy to our seats!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I saw a kid at tailgate who seemed very disappointed he wasn't trick or treating. He was sitting on my cooler and almost refused to stand up because he was pouting. I hate awkward interactions with other people's kids...

It was my kid, wasn't it? Don't lie.

Mine did get bored and use adman as a punching bag for a bit....

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

I never got under the stands to see how things were going, but was disappointed. We brought lots of candy to our tailgate. I guess it wasn't smart to think that the kids would go from tailgate to tailgate to trick or treat, but somehow, I was expecting it. We had some schtick, banter and repartee ready for the droolers. Will save the material for back in the hood next year.

There were a few kids dressed up in our section (Family Zone, duh)...probably should have brought our candy to our seats!

GMG

DID WE VISIT YOU??? I had a leprechaun and a reaper. And I was dressed as Scrappy and mistaken as a swan. :(

• Upvote 1

Haha no,not sure whose it was to be honest. I love kids I just don't know what to do when they don't listen to you and you're not their parent and you want a beer and all that stuff..

UNFORTUNATELY.... this was my kids last conference game this year.... my 6 year old son went for the Bourbon on a table thinking it was some sort of punch at a tailgate..... my brother thought it was funny... we did not.

And yes it was probably my 6 year old because he was sitting on a cooler pouting about how he couldn't have the jello out of those little containers. ;) " Jello is for kids!!!" He says....

• Upvote 1

UNFORTUNATELY.... this was my kids last conference game this year.... my 6 year old son went for the Bourbon on a table thinking it was some sort of punch at a tailgate..... my brother thought it was funny... we did not.

And yes it was probably my 6 year old because he was sitting on a cooler pouting about how he couldn't have the jello out of those little containers. ;) " Jello is for kids!!!" He says....

Haha he has a good point.. This must have been a different pouter because I think he was at least 9-10.
  • Upvote 1