Pelini out at FAU

H-towngreen

The use, possession and distribution of weed is federally illegal. Even in states where it is legal, it is possible to be arrested by federal marshals.

Don't quote me on this but I thought I read where the Obama administration said they would only enforce distribution in states where it is legal (Colorado) not use or possession so long as it is under a certain amount. Clearly Florida is not one of those states.

Most likely there are pictures or word was leaked that it happened. Once the players find out there is no way that the coaches can enforce any semblance of a drug policy with the team. Pellini has NO leg to stand on when drug testing his players. They simply would not have taken him seriously. Parents aren't gonna let their kids go play for a coach that tokes. AD had to do it. If the AD had an axe to grind with Carl then it's just a bonus and he gets to bring in his own staff now. If this happened here at UNT then I would venture to guess we would want the same action to be taken regardless of how any of us feel about weed.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2

Don't quote me on this but I thought I read where the Obama administration said they would only enforce distribution in states where it is legal (Colorado) not use or possession so long as it is under a certain amount. Clearly Florida is not one of those states.

They did. They said the same thing about Montana, which also has a medicinal provisions in their state law. http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/medical_marijuana_raids_result_in_12_convictions/27656

Much ado about nothing. If they would go ahead and legalize it and tax it there would be no reason for people to act shocked when they discover pot around a college or a football team.

Think about the bigger picture -- Do you think FAU, as an educational institution, wants people who are known to have used drugs around students ? Do you really think parents will want their kids to go to a school where drug use, even if it "just" pot, is deemed OK?

It is likely that the AD and the president of university were not in favor of keeping someone around that uses illegal drugs that has a ton of visibility within the university.

But, like, dude!!

It's just a little pot. Don't go all making sense up in here.

You are killing my buzz.

Because 90 missed the point entirely. Nobody is arguing with the decision to fire, but rather with the decision to make it public at all. Seems like something this minor could be easily swept under the rug for a coach that performs but this move makes it seem as if Chun has an axe to grind with Pelini and this was his free shot.

I would hope that:

1) we wouldn't hire a head coach that smoked weed, not only because it is illegal, but because it would expose a HUGE character flaw and a severe judgment problem.

2) If our AD ever did find out that one of the head coaches had behaved in this manner, he would do exactly what the FAU AD did with Pelini.

You say it could have been swept under the rug. No, it couldn't. If the AD knew, a bunch of other people knew about it, also. The AD couldn't simply fire him in season without an explanation. Plus, I would think, being a public university, being fired with cause would be subject to an FOI request, so the reason would be out there anyway.

I hope you aren't suggesting that an AD should simply sweep this under the rug if the coach is winning. That would be foolish and a lesson I would hope was learned in a far more serious incident up at State Penn.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Somehow I bet Tulane is behind all of this.

More dang voodoo!!!

Well, I think that since Bob Marley's grandson is playing for "that school", it's likely that his ghost found Pelini at a party, put his arm around him, and said something like, "Ja, mon, I got this ganja. Let's go over here and twist one up, nobody will notice. What's this thing they say about spiking a football?"

Edited by eulessismore

Anonymous sources in unconfirmed reports state that passers-by heard The Doors blaring outside said social event as well. Officers investigating the incident found that there was a blue porch light at that location, which is enough to skip a warrant and search based on reasonable suspicion. Luckily, there were only four dead hookers inside; the fifth was eating a cheesesteak in a hot tub on the back porch.

• Upvote 1

Because 90 missed the point entirely. Nobody is arguing with the decision to fire, but rather with the decision to make it public at all. Seems like something this minor could be easily swept under the rug for a coach that performs but this move makes it seem as if Chun has an axe to grind with Pelini and this was his free shot.

Bad, bad precedent "just sweeping it under the rug."

I guess Cristoball is the obvious choice... if they manage to pay him enough money to take the job that is.

I guess we don't know all the details, but if he just was at a pot event, this sure is one where the AD can do whatever he wants if you as a coach are stupid enough to get cought in that situation. And at 5-15 over two seasons an AD that did not hire you just might use it to get rid of you. Easy. The AD does sound rather unspecific here, I would gather though that he hints at having more on the coaches. If he does have something significant more, then he might not have had a choice, but the timing and manner seem somewhat particular.

It's a pitty for FAU, they seemed on the uptick, and the remainder of the schedule was managable. On the other hand it still is, and if the AD wanted Pellini gone, waiting for that to happen might have been unwise. Also they may have been on the uptick, but not in big leaps. And if he does get Cristobal, then the AD is nothing but a shrewd man who may just turn out to be the winner type

I hope their team goes into FU mode and beats the living sh... out of tulane