UTSA can't even give away tickets

GreenBat

First, let me say that this Runner guy is very much the equivalent of Cougar Queen and is trolling at a very FroggyStyle level. Funny how that FroggyStyle poster just died, huh? I'm sure it has nothing to do with TCU crashing abck to earth. That spare never would answer my question on a record prediction and who they would beat...I guess he didn't have as much confidence in the Frogs as he wanted us to believe.

Secondly, I think UTSA is genius for their marketing strategy. You get anyone who wants to go and watch the local team play--no matter the cost. A lot of San Antonio area residents have a lot of pride in being from San Antonio, so them having a local university to root for is a fairly easy attraction. Having 1.5 million people to pull from combined with a local media that treats you with great hope for your athletic teams is a strong combination. No matter how bright things are looking for us right now--and they are for the first time in a decade--we have never had that combo that UTSA has, so kudos to them for taking advantage of it. It is smart, no matter how they get it accomplished.

UTSA will benefit greatly because of two things: the city of San Antonio and the fact that the AAC Texas teams have no issues with being associated with UTSA in a conference. The MWC will eventually come calling for Texas teams again, too. Its my guess that UH and SMU will be at the top of that list WHEN they get tired of being in a league that will be well behind the MWC. I think it will be terrible if the MWC grows by 4 teams and they take UH, SMU, UTEP, and UTSA, even if we could easily replace UTEP and UTSA with NMSU and Texas State. It will just keep us lower on the pecking order than two schools we have been perpetually below in UH and SMU, one school (UTEP) that we have basically been able to get close enough to on the ladder to recruit evenly with, and one school (UTSA) that we have been above just because of their status as a new program.

What I want to have happen is for SMU to decide that the AAC is their final home, since they will be with their other buddies from the old CUSA. The MWC decides to come to Texas again, and we get in with UH, UTEP, and UTSA. We get to be with three other large metropolitan state schools in a league with other great names, plus a division that would include New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, and Wyoming. That's my hope for where things end up for us in the next 5-10 years.

• Upvote 1

We've all commented on UTSA on the attendance thing, but we should really clean up on our backyard before we cast our sights to other conference-mates.

Ex conference-mate Boise State is still the bell cow we need to model our football program after anyway......IMO.

GMG!

PS: I fully agree with what untjim1995 has posted as far as our looking down the road goes. Folks, we are in a battle called the Perception War and what the masses actually think is reality.

People seem to re-act more on perception than reality many times, too, especially when they start jumping on Band Wagons of football priograms they perceive it is cool to be associated. That is the crowd we need at Apogee to eventually convert to full fledged Mean Green fan'atics....like us.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

First, let me say that this Runner guy is very much the equivalent of Cougar Queen and is trolling at a very FroggyStyle level. Funny how that FroggyStyle poster just died, huh? I'm sure it has nothing to do with TCU crashing abck to earth. That spare never would answer my question on a record prediction and who they would beat...I guess he didn't have as much confidence in the Frogs as he wanted us to believe.

Don't put that low of a designation on Runner. He only came on to defend something stupid our fans were pointing out. CougarQueen and FroggyStyle are among the scum of the earth.

• Upvote 4

This is a message board, not your dissertation.

At the very most, just give us the last few lines of your thesis paragraph.

UTSA needs to be awesome so people will be impressed when we kick their asses and therefore eventually get more donors and ticket sales. The rest was my whiskey-fueled argument :P

Wow, this site never fails to crack me up. Some (not all) of you guys dont realize how unintentionally hilarious you are.

UTSA has 15k season ticket holders. Someone help me out and tell me how many UNT has? Less than half of that Im assuming. Those of you that are delusional can go ahead and make yourselves feel better by thinking UTSA has better attendance than UNT because they give away 'free tickets' or because of KFC. Those with some sense, including reasonable UNT fans, know UTSA isnt the only team that 'gives away' free tickets and that those promos have played a minimal role in our attendance success.

BTW the KFC promotion, its because of a generous alum--believe hes the owner of MUY! Brands which owns all the KFCs, Pizza Huts and Taco Bells in San Antonio. Dont think there's a KFC promotion this year but there is a Pizza Hut one for select games. The guy buys tickets in bulk and simultaneously supports his alma mater and his businesses, I applaud the man. Instead of scoffing it you dummies should wish you had an alumn that was as involved instead of all the apathetic alumni who couldn't care less about UNT after graduation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dummy is a pretty light term imo. I was thinking things a lot worse than that.

Seriously though who scoffs the fact that an involved alumni uses his businesses to help out his alma mater? I'm not laughing at Ok St because T. Boone Pickens made them the program they are, I wish we had a sugar daddy like them and applaud Pickens for putting that much money into his alma mater.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Big game week for us against Rice and true to form Correcamino has to come in and take a dump without wiping again.

Dude shouldn't you be celebrating your big win over UAB?

Game was three days ago. That'd be a long celebration imo.

What part of my post isnt absolute truth btw? Just trying to wake up some of your fanbase from their delusional state, while simultaneously defending my uni obviously.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Frankly, I wish we would do something like free tickets with purchases from local merchants. As long as the merchants bought the tickets, even at a substantial discount. People will laugh at the promotion but not no is laughing at tickets sold numbers for UTSA. All those tickets might not show up, but first you sell them. Get people into the stands anyway you can. Let them see your product and hopefully they will like it enough to come. I'd print the full price on the discounted tickets - you can use the bar codes to keep them straight from real full price tickets anyway.

We worry about having a promotion to get people into the stands then laugh at a school who is trying promotions. How much were NT general admission tickets back in 94 when we were trying to move back to D1A football?

I was not keen on either UTSA or TXST moving to FSB football as it diluted the field of teams. But 1. they are not the only one's moving up. 2. they are doing better than many of the others who moved up and a number of long time FBS teams. 3. the issue was decided when the WAC invited them so there's no point debating it anymore but rather learn to make the best of the situation. 3. I have a lot of family to visit in SA and getting to see a football game while I'm there is a real plus for me!

Don't worry about the chicken grease stains on the tickets as long as the scanners can still read them!

• Upvote 2

Instead of scoffing it you dummies should wish you had an alumn that was as involved instead of all the apathetic alumni who couldn't care less about UNT after graduation.

Ernie Kuehne: $1 million dollars, plus he raised $3 million in 30 days.

Charn: Recently gave over $20 million to UNT earmarked for various departments including athletics

Mattress Mac: $1 million dollars

Just to name a few. I'm sure others could name some other's I forgot.

Man, I wish we had one that owned a KFC.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Didn't you know, Harry? They are the next big thing in college football. Don't believe me? Just ask one of their fans.

Wish they would go 0-12 for the next 20 years.

The way we're headed, why not? UCF and USF shot up pretty quickly, if any start-up is going to follow their footsteps it's us. But I understand that you're a little envious since we would leave you in our rear view mirror if that happened, can't say I blame you bro. I'd be pretty bitter about it too.

Ernie Kuehne: $1 million dollars, plus he raised $3 million in 30 days.

Charn: Recently gave over $20 million to UNT earmarked for various departments including athletics

Mattress Mac: $1 million dollars

Just to name a few. I'm sure others could name some other's I forgot.

Man, I wish we had one that owned a KFC.

See there you go scoffing the guy because he owns a multi-million dollar fast food franchise. I'm assuming it's because he doesn't own a fancier business? I was talking about alumni that help out the football program btw, specifically attendance since that's the subject at hand. Obviously we have other donors besides the MUY! Brands owner as well.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The way we're headed, why not? UCF and USF shot up pretty quickly, if any start-up is going to follow their footsteps it's us. But I understand that you're a little envious since we would leave you in our rear view mirror if that happened, can't say I blame you bro. I'd be pretty bitter about it too.

See there you go scoffing the guy because he owns a multi-million dollar fast food franchise. I'm assuming it's because he doesn't own a fancier business? I was talking about alumni that help out the football program btw, specifically attendance since that's the subject at hand. Obviously we have other donors besides the MUY! Brands owner as well.

tumblr_lqtv8xWZAu1qclwmi.gif

• Upvote 3

I don't think anybody is denying UTSA's potential but potential is an overused term in college sports. I think both UCF and USF rose up at the right time and things just worked out for them. Yes they had solid administration and good coaches but Florida is a recruiting hotbed that for the longest time only had 3 legitimate FBS schools in UF, FSU, and Miami. UCF and USF joining the group was a big benefit to them because they could capitalize on still getting really good talent from players that wanted to stay within the state.

UTSA on the other hand has to compete with a plethora of other schools especially within the state that are on the same if not higher level than them so I don't believe you'll necessarily be on the path of a UCF and USF. Hey good luck to you guys. If you guys are the next greatest thing in CFB then good for you but I think a lot of growing pains will be coming your way and if that happens that could very well make you the next big school with the "potential" tag that still can't escape the apathy.

This is the most delusional thing I have heard about any football team, ever.

Thanks for proving my point.

Try building any kind of infrastructure before proclaiming yourself the next UCF.

Really shocked you haven't stepped it up to "the next TCU"

Hope you lose by 30.

Wish it were 70.

3tsa07.jpg

This is the most delusional thing I have heard about any football team, ever.

You must not post on this site very often then.

I don't think anybody is denying UTSA's potential but potential is an overused term in college sports. I think both UCF and USF rose up at the right time and things just worked out for them. Yes they had solid administration and good coaches but Florida is a recruiting hotbed that for the longest time only had 3 legitimate FBS schools in UF, FSU, and Miami. UCF and USF joining the group was a big benefit to them because they could capitalize on still getting really good talent from players that wanted to stay within the state.

UTSA on the other hand has to compete with a plethora of other schools especially within the state that are on the same if not higher level than them so I don't believe you'll necessarily be on the path of a UCF and USF. Hey good luck to you guys. If you guys are the next greatest thing in CFB then good for you but I think a lot of growing pains will be coming your way and if that happens that could very well make you the next big school with the "potential" tag that still can't escape the apathy.

Quality post. I'm not saying we're a lock to be the next great thing but like you said there's plenty of potential here. We're not the prototypical start-up and if we continue to make progress like we have thus far I like our chances to become one of the better non-AQ programs. There's a chance it doesn't pan out but we have great people leading the way so I like to think we'll get there. If not we'll be there behind our Runners regardless.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2

Corecamino, you lost me when used "bro". Internet douchebaggery is going to help your cause. If you weren't insecure about something you wouldn't be here trying to justify whatever your end game is. There are some of us that are happy to get to play your team and will enjoy going down there on road trips. Those who look down on your team are going to change their minds because of your Internet bravado. If your program is as good as you say it is then don't worry about us so much.

Harry was correct. You should still be celebrating a big win. It's not like you have to prepare for the next game. That is isn't your job as a fan. Relax and enjoy the season.

I love when UTSA fans come onto a UNT (or any other) board and expect everyone to just bow down and take their word that they are awesome and the next big thing. The best part is the tireless defense they offer as if that is going to change everyone's mind. Maybe they should just keep to themselves and enjoy the circle jerk ritual before each game.

• Upvote 2

I love when UTSA fans come onto a UNT (or any other) board and expect everyone to just bow down and take their word that they are awesome and the next big thing. The best part is the tireless defense they offer as if that is going to change everyone's mind. Maybe they should just keep to themselves and enjoy the circle jerk ritual before each game.

What? He brought it up, I simply responded by asking him why I shouldn't be optimistic about our potential given our early (unprecedented) success.

Corecamino, you lost me when used "bro". Internet douchebaggery is going to help your cause. If you weren't insecure about something you wouldn't be here trying to justify whatever your end game is. There are some of us that are happy to get to play your team and will enjoy going down there on road trips. Those who look down on your team are going to change their minds because of your Internet bravado. If your program is as good as you say it is then don't worry about us so much.

Harry was correct. You should still be celebrating a big win. It's not like you have to prepare for the next game. That is isn't your job as a fan. Relax and enjoy the season.

What is there to be insecure about? Nothing wrong with using bro either imo.

Edited by correcamino

Nope, not scoffing at your "multi-milion dollar fast food franchise" alumni. Why doesn't he give some of those millions to UTSA so they can have above high school level facilities on campus. Back when we needed the assistance, ol' Charn bought up a load of tickets to be passed around. This was back in the 80's, probably before you were born.

What? He brought it up, I simply responded by asking him why I shouldn't be optimistic about our potential given our early (unprecedented) success.

What is there to be insecure about? Nothing wrong with using bro either imo.

2-5 is "early unprecedented success."

Lol

• Upvote 1