Beyond the Green Observations this Season

TheColonyEagle

I agree with everything both of you said. From the first episode, it has given me a great appreciation for this group of players & coaches.

It is fantastic to be able to get behind the scenes and see how they are approaching each game. I find myself watching each episode multiple times.

My favorite segment so far was the very last on the latest episode. This D is something else. I was a student in the early 2000's and believe this D is better than that squad. Turnovers and BIG hits are what seperates them, and that segment really cemented that.

On Halloween, let's make so much noise that those Frogs and Ponies can hear us from their campus!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Skladany is a bad ass. Was thrilled when UNT hired him. Y'Barbo is also one of my favorite players. Smart, smart kid, and great sense of humor. I understand he has a nasty streak, which is something I have hoped and prayed for on the OL/DL lines for years. That attitude separates good OL's from GREAT OL's. It's absolutely critical.

Regarding "BTG"--what a fantastic recruiting tool, and way to increase interest in the program. Fantastic.

• Upvote 2

We really look forward to watching the new episode every week.

ever since you added your mpeg. I've been watching for your brother on the show and it always seems as if he is being cautious of what he does now. :) I've caught him glancing at the camera very quickly a few times lately. makes me laugh.

• Upvote 2

ever since you added your mpeg. I've been watching for your brother on the show and it always seems as if he is being cautious of what he does now. :) I've caught him glancing at the camera very quickly a few times lately. makes me laugh.

We die laughing every episode. He said there has been more than a few times that he will go to a corner of the room away from the camera, but the guy keeps finding him. The 3 second zoom in (pre- game) from this weeks episode was after he moved to the other side of the room. lol

I always find it amusing that he gets so much face time, because he's a ST freshman. His siblings enjoy the heck out of it.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

I agree with everything both of you said. From the first episode, it has given me a great appreciation for this group of players & coaches.

It is fantastic to be able to get behind the scenes and see how they are approaching each game. I find myself watching each episode multiple times.

My favorite segment so far was the very last on the latest episode. This D is something else. I was a student in the early 2000's and believe this D is better than that squad. Turnovers and BIG hits are what seperates them, and that segment really cemented that.

On Halloween, let's make so much noise that those Frogs and Ponies can hear us from their campus!!!

The D in the Early 2000's was ranked nationally in the top 10 and top 20 a couple of years. So I wouldn't personally go that far.... but i do appreciate your enthusiasm for the our current D and I too am Impressed by the enthusiasm they play with.

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Upvote 1

We die laughing every episode. He said there has been more than a few times that he will go to a corner of the room away from the camera, but the guy keeps finding him. The 3 second zoom in (pre- game) from this weeks episode was after he moved to the other side of the room. lol

I always find it amusing that he gets so much face time, because he's a ST freshman. His siblings enjoy the heck out of it.

the camera must love him....or the camera person. ;)

• Upvote 1

Not too sure about the above statement...

This year's D is playing well, and I like the big hits, but the Bowl years D was badass...not just pretty good

• Upvote 1

Some immediate thoughts after this week's episode.

• Mmm... Coaches bonding over firearms. (that bit with the gun trainer after the fadeout was great)
  • I really, really, really love the mindset and outward attitudes of our defensive staff; Skladany is the man.
  • I like these extended runs of shots on the sidelines with players, especially the "no respect/homecoming guests" bits. It works really well when there are whole quarters of play absent of anything screen-time worthy.
  • There's a great repeated shot of my wife catching high-fives after the win. Might just .GIF that one.
  • Holy hell our defensive highlight reel thus far is mind boggling.
  • Stephanie, the cameras really, really do like your brother.

Also: UTSA's Insider show after ours is a joke of a program. Sunshine pumping to the max, and that's what seriously distinguishes our program - it fully embraces the hardships and struggles rather than gloss over them.

• Upvote 2

Yep, this show is freaking awesome. Sure hope most of the players highlighted on the show stick around the program long after they are gone. Lots of guys with great character.

Regarding Y'Barbo, that dude is just flat fun to watch on the field. Probably one of my 2 favorites on the team with Orr being the other. Watching the block he threw on Jimmerson's big screen pass TD at the end of the LaLa game last year was the highlight for me within probably the biggest play of the year. Saying an Olineman is a favorite player to watch is a RARE thing for me, but he's just all over the field.

This year's D is playing well, and I like the big hits, but the Bowl years D was badass...not just pretty good

The D in the Early 2000's was ranked nationally in the top 10 and top 20 a couple of years. So I wouldn't personally go that far.... but i do appreciate your enthusiasm for the our current D and I too am Impressed by the enthusiasm they play with.

D in the early 2000's was epic. No doubt. I thought I would take a look at the numbers, and share. This D is the worst passing D out of the 5. Not surprising as the big pass plays have been the Achilles' heel of this group. Run D is 2nd worst, but the game has evolved into the age of mobile QBs, read-options, etc. Not bad considering I believe we have contained guys like Tettleton & Wenning. Hopefully we can do the same against McHargue on Halloween. So, this group gives up more total yards than any D but the 2004 group.

However, they are forcing more TOs and are #1 in the nation in fumbles recoveries. Also, they have allowed the least amount of points with the exception of the 2002 group.

What is also interesting to note is that their strength of schedule is at #69 right now. The SOS in the glory years was outside the top 100, with the exception of 2002.

It was unfair of me to say this squad is better, no disrespect to Booger & the Boys. Clearly, it is the best thing we've seen since then and we all can be excited about that!

2013 2001 2002 2003 2004

Passing 253 226.8 171.7 219.6 241.3

Rushing 147.3 127.4 118.9 104.7 172.8

PA 21.3 24.4 14.8 21.9 29.8

TO 2.9 2.5 2.3 2.5 2.2

SOS 69 104 78 102 104

Edited by MeanGreenD
  • Upvote 2

Completely agree. We were top 3 in scoring defense one year and always around the top 10 for 3 straight years.