We know WHAT we want Saturday....How are we going to get it?

TheColonyEagle

I think as a whole, we feel good about Saturday. What a month ago most had as an L, looks 50/50 now.

What is the key to this game?

I think the first 5-8 minutes of this game are the most important 5-8 minutes of a football game we've had in a long time.

Ohio's crowd will be amped but Ohio players probably have a little bit of doubt somewhere in the back of their mind from last week.

If they come out early and hit us with big plays and go up a score or two combined with the sold out home crowd....all the lack of momentum they're feeling from getting blown out last week will be erased.

However

If we come out and hit them early and take the crowd out in the first quarter, that adrenaline from the home opener goes away and the doubt creeps back in.

I think the first half quarter of this game could make of break the game.

• Upvote 2

I think as a whole, we feel good about Saturday. What a month ago most had as an L, looks 50/50 now.

What is the key to this game?

I think the first 5-8 minutes of this game are the most important 5-8 minutes of a football game we've had in a long time.

Ohio's crowd will be amped but Ohio players probably have a little bit of doubt somewhere in the back of their mind from last week.

If they come out early and hit us with big plays and go up a score or two combined with the sold out home crowd....all the lack of momentum they're feeling from getting blown out last week will be erased.

However

If we come out and hit them early and take the crowd out in the first quarter, that adrenaline from the home opener goes away and the doubt creeps back in.

I think the first half quarter of this game could make of break the game.

I agree with everything you're saying except for it being 50/50 now. Because nearly every media outlet is still predicting them to win, I would have to think our odds are now around 40/60 . . . which is still a big improvement from a couple weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everything you're saying except for it being 50/50 now. Because nearly every media outlet is still predicting them to win, I would have to think our odds are now around 40/60 . . . which is still a big improvement from a couple weeks ago.

More like 25/75

Hell, the simple fact that it's a road game makes it 40/60 before you even factor in the opponent (based on Mac's road record at UNT). Throw in a defending conference champion, and that lowers the chances considerably.

Before people accuse me of being negative, I considered the chances 0/100 before last week's performances/injuries, so you are looking at optimistic UNT90 now.

I do agree that the first 8 minutes of this game are huge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One thing is for certain. After Ohio got their butts whooped last week they will be amped up at kickoff. If UNT takes the initiative early it's tough to comeback after a demoralizing loss with your back on the wall again. Especially with their injuries. After watching our players and coaches last Saturday, I think we have what it takes to do the aforementioned. Let's hope our players believe in themselves enough to do it. I guarantee the coaches see this team the way I do. Get it done!

• Upvote 3

More like 25/75

Hell, the simple fact that it's a road game makes it 40/60 before you even factor in the opponent (based on Mac's road record at UNT). Throw in a defending conference champion, and that lowers the chances considerably.

Before people accuse me of being negative, I considered the chances 0/100 before last week's performances/injuries, so you are looking at optimistic UNT90 now.

I do agree that the first 8 minutes of this game are huge.

Fair enough. Not to nitpick, but Ohio is not a defending conference champion. A very good team and bowl champion, but they were 4-4 in the MAC.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough. Not to nitpick, but Ohio is not a defending conference champion. A very good team and bowl champion, but they were 4-4 in the MAC.

Sat, Sept 1

1-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 8

2-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 15

3-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 22

4-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 29

5-0 (1-0) Sat, Oct 6

6-0 (2-0) Sat, Oct 13

7-0 (3-0) Sat, Oct 27

7-1 (3-1) Thu, Nov 1

8-1 (4-1) Wed, Nov 7

8-2 (4-2) Wed, Nov 14

8-3 (4-3) Fri, Nov 23

8-4 (4-4) AdvoCare V100 INDEPENDENCE BOWL Fri, Dec 28

9-4 (4-4)

It’s a good point. What about their 2012 campaign makes us feel like we are such an underdog in this game? They got hot in their bowl game, it happens. Good for them. None of the other wins are all that impressive.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2

In the spirit of my success last week, I played out this game on NCAA Football 14 today and it was awesome.

Ohio won the toss and decided to kick. I was fine with that. Using a bruising combination of Brandin Byrd right up the gut and Peagram around the tackles, the Mean Green marched 79 yards on the opening drive to take a 7-0 lead. Carlos Harris made a key diving 12-yard grab over the middle to convert a midfield third down and kept the drive alive.

The Bobcats tried to keep the defense off-balance with a hurry-up attack. It failed for most of the first half but a worn-out Mean Green secondary yielded a quick drive late before going to the locker room to knot the score at 10.

In the second half, Ohio settled for two field goals while the Mean Green O-line continued to punish the Bobcat front seven and by the end of the third quarter it was 28-16, UNT. The Bobcats marched downfield for another late score and then actually missed an extra point to make it 28-22.

On the final Ohio drive, with about 2:00 remaining, Bellazin came up with a huge sack on a midfield play on 2nd and 4 to push the Bobcats back eight yards. This stunned the crowd and the Bobcat offense. Two incomplete passes later, DT was kneeling on the ball to secure a 28-22 Mean Green victory.

I'd be happy to see that become a reality tomorrow!

Player of the game: Brandin Byrd, 22 carries, 152 yards, 2 TD.

Side note -- DT was 12/18 for 205 yards and a TD pass. He did throw an early pick, though.

Edited by TheFranchise

The key to this game will be our secondary. I'm really afraid that Tyler Tettleton is going to pick them apart.

Which is why I think that the amount of pressure we get on Tettleton is the key factor in this game.

We need to hit him hard, hit him early, and hit him often to make him make decisions much quicker than he wants.

If Hilbert plays like he did last week I expect 4 or 5 deep bombs to their receivers.

Resulting in three Hilbert knockdowns and two Hilbert interceptions!

Hey, a guy can dream with green colored glasses as well, right? Could happen, but the real question is.....will it?

Good luck to all the Mean green today...bring home this important win today!

Which is why I think that the amount of pressure we get on Tettleton is the key factor in this game.

We need to hit him hard, hit him early, and hit him often to make him make decisions much quicker than he wants.

Bingo. Make him not trust that makeshift OL right out of the gate Edited by NT03