Cost of sports is driving views to cut the cord

VideoEagle

I don't have cable. I have Direct TV with every single channel and it's awesome. Pure savagery to not have it.

Same here...I just can't stand that "you don't subscribe to this channel" message. Plus, the NFL Sunday ticket is pure ecstasy for football fans.

What's ironic though is that I work in digital advertising and have planned many streaming video campaigns over the years. I recently received a Roku HD as a gift, hooked it up and became bored with it after only a few days. Personally, I don't think we'll ever see a true a la carte option, at least not without numerous networks ceasing to exist. There are just too many ownership groups operating multiple networks for that to become a reality. ESPN/ABC might offer one package for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESN, ESPN3 and LHN, another for Disney, Disney Jr and DisneyXD and yet another for ABC, ABC family, etc. But I don't see them offering each network individually. If they did, several of those networks would be cancelled because they would be unprofitable.

As a fantasy football addict, I don't know what I would do without NFL RedZone. I have contemplated getting rid of cable TV, but I just don't think Netflix has enough quality content yet.

There's a company out there called Aereo that is doing some cool things with TV and is pretty much pissing off every network exec. Once that's available where I live, I would strongly consider ditching cable tv.

here's my question and maybe you guys can help me... My wife is a DVR fanatic and loves all of the housewives of new york city shows (Bravo?) as well as various other programming... Some of what she watches is network some is cable actually we are on Uverse....

Is there a feasible solution for her needs... I know it's easy to get a HD DVR recording device but can you pretty much get every cable network show in real time on one of these services?

For me I love having my Xbox 360 hooked into ESPN 3 via Uverse....would I still get all the College football games if I cut the uverse cord?

I know I can get by without my stuff but until I can prove without a shadow of doubt that my wife will get to watch all of her recorded shows when she gets home from work I will still be writing a big check to Uverse every month I'm afraid...

here's my question and maybe you guys can help me... My wife is a DVR fanatic and loves all of the housewives of new york city shows (Bravo?) as well as various other programming... Some of what she watches is network some is cable actually we are on Uverse....

Is there a feasible solution for her needs... I know it's easy to get a HD DVR recording device but can you pretty much get every cable network show in real time on one of these services?

For me I love having my Xbox 360 hooked into ESPN 3 via Uverse....would I still get all the College football games if I cut the uverse cord?

I know I can get by without my stuff but until I can prove without a shadow of doubt that my wife will get to watch all of her recorded shows when she gets home from work I will still be writing a big check to Uverse every month I'm afraid...

That's a tough one Harry - my wife has found most of her shows (non-cable shows) on the NBC and ABC apps and watches them on demand on the ipad. She's pretty much given up on the cable shows and has been "ok" with that. As for the college football stuff? That's the toughest challenge for cable-cutters. I have FiOS for internet and they do have some extra stuff on ESPN3 which is great but they disable the ESPN and ESPN2 content so that's a big bummer.

I'm a huge proponent of unbundling but ESPN is the 800 lb. gorilla preventing this in my opinion.

I believe your ESPN3 access is tied to your ISP.

Next day on Amazon Instant Video or Vudu for most cable shows. Both of those are pay per episode or season. Most broadcast shows (except CBS) and a little cable is available on Hulu next day.

As a fantasy football addict, I don't know what I would do without NFL RedZone. I have contemplated getting rid of cable TV, but I just don't think Netflix has enough quality content yet.

Netflix actually has a lot of good TV shows. They're just not the current season. For movies it's pretty barebones, though.

Edited by ColoradoEagle