POSTER POW WOW

greenjoe

Don't forget to join us at the Alumni Center Saturday at 10:00am. We'll split into teams and cover Denton city as best as we can. I'll have some blue painter's tape cut into strips. Please use as little tape as possible to do the job. We're not covering windows for a hurricane here.

Many hands make light work.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

Thanks to greenjoe for setting this up for us...had a great time chatting before heading out on my "appointed rounds", but also had great reception everywhere I went to deliver a poster or two or three! This is the first time that I can say that EVERYONE was receptive!

Unfortunately only a few brave souls ventured out to help this morning...a big thank you those who did...you are making a positive difference. Thanks to:

Our fearless leader greenjoe for setting this all up;

Christopher Walker - who had the Alumni pavilion opened for us this morning with the big fans going and even some "beverages";

rsw69 who volunteered to work the Flower Mound area and who has really started volunteering for so many of these activities;

oldguystudent - who volunteered to work the Lewisville area (my guess is that will will now see UNT Football posters at Hooter's, Red Neck Heaven, Twin Peaks; and

NMGreen who worked the event last year as well while home on vacation from out of state...which I think happened again this year as well.

So, to the few who ventured out on a Saturday morning to help, you definitely embody the ACTA NON VERBA "can do" spirit.

Folks, it really is a fun activity and you get to talk to a lot of folks about UNT football. Heck, greenjoe also brought UNT plastic glasses for us to hand out. At one place (mellow Mushroom) where I delivered a poster, I had employees coming up to me while I was taping the poster to the window and ask if they could have a glass! One said, "always love to support my school"! At another establishment (Weinberger's Deli, I was greeted with "put as many up as you would like and thank you!". they were thanking me? Wow! And at Oak Street Draft House and Social Club (did I get that all correct?) they asked for a second poster so they could get it laminated to display outside in the beer garden as well as the one I put up inside!

The above are not the only places agreeing to a poster, just some of the more enthusiastic responses I received. Also put posters up at Fuzzy's Taco, Burgessa Burger and Unique Barbers. Found posters already up at many other places such as Barefoot, Rooster's, Sweetwater, Rusty Taco and several others. Seems the athletic department folks had done an earlier job in getting these up...at least in the area I was working this morning!

If you think the attitude of merchants around town is not changing for the better in terms of UNT and UNT athletics then you need to volunteer to help with this project next year and see for yourself. This is proof positive that things are moving in a positive direction and that UNT is, in fact, engaging the local merchants and more and more merchants see the benefit in supporting UNT.

Night and day difference this year in my reception at the Mellow Mushroom than I got last year for the same project! Just one example.

And, some folks wonder why i stay so positive about UNT. Get out and go around with me sometime and I'll show you why! ACTA NON VERBA folks...Acta Non VERBA!

Thanks greenjoe...well worth the time and effort made by this member of the Mean Green Nation this morning!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Awesome work! Two trips to Denton in one day was just going to be too much for me. I plan on snagging my share of posters at the Kickoff celebration in a bit and doing my part to make pockets of Collin County green!

Again, thanks to all that worked on this today. I have a lot of respect for folks that support the university by donating your time.

• Upvote 4

After arriving back in town late, I must admit that I thought twice about it when the alarm rang at 8:30am. After some DD coffee it was on and I too was thrilled how receptive everyone was today. I knew it was going to be a great day when I got the "thumbs up," "sure," and "go right ahead!" on my first three stops. Add in the weather (can I order some of this up for August 31st) and complimentary adult beverage giveaway and it was perfect! My drop goals were accomplished by noon and I wandered around the Square falling in awe of Denton all over again.

I circled the same area as last year which was nice because I used the "last year we placed a poster in that window..." card. I didn't get one rejection and the one guy at the pizza joint in the square who balked was cut off by a fan at the bar who asked if he could get one of those. Even the ladies in Supercuts who were busy just directed me to the Community Board. Businesses I placed either posters or magnet schedules in were: Jefferson Dental Clinic, Dollar General, Dry Cleaner, Natural Nails, Supercuts, NY Subway, Subway (break room), Roys Laundromat, North Texas Laundromat, EZ Check, O'Reilly (break room), Family Dollar and Labb sports bar.

Fun stuff. Thank you for organizing this ritual event.

GMG

• Upvote 4

I didn't realize there was a Tilted Kilt in Lewisville. We have one here, just west of Phoenix. I've never been there, but you know what? Say what you will, but places like that and Hooters are great places to get the posters up. Even if you're not a fan of that sort of place, it is a good chance to get your stuff seen. Thanks to everybody who was in town to do this! I have a couple of leads on places that might be open to some posters so I'll let you know what happens.

• Upvote 2

I was disappointed to get rejected by Ralley House. They let me hang one last year, but they said that now they are pickier about stuff like that, now that they "have a CEO and stuff like that". The manager did say that she supports UNT and wished things could work out so that they could carry our stuff again.

Note: this was the Fairview location.

I did have success at Plucker's in Allen and Fairview Down Under.

• Upvote 1

So far in Lewisville, we have posters at Hooters, Tilted Kilt, Twin Peaks, Fuzzy's, Raising Cain's and Hat Tricks. We got rejected at Fox and Hound and Hot Shots.

The guy at Tilted Kilt was particularly enthusiastic. Gave me his card and told me to bring my wife/SO in and he'd take care of us for a night. He also asked what kind of business hanging the schedule could get him. I would bet that he'd be a really enthusiastic participant in some away game watching parties if any of you think that would be a viable thing to pursue.

Everywhere I went. Every...single...place, I ran into people with affiliations to UNT. They were excited to see me. The talked about what a great time they had in Denton.

Edit: One might say that we're...well hung in the Lewisville breastaurants.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

How can i get a poster. My wife is a teacher in Grapevine and she needs university items to put in the hall. I have one of the stadium. I want the one going up around DFW. Let me know.

I pass through Grapevine on my way home from work every day. If you wanna pm me a place, I can drop one off for you. I wouldn't be able to make it during school hours, so some other place would have to do.

For oldguy's um...area of expertise, is The Library still open? I think it's just a bit past Lewisville but not quite in Dallas. If it's still there, you'd like it. At least one of our alumnae used to work there, which is the only reason I know about it. She tried to play matchmaker by introducing me to her co-workers once ;)

For oldguy's um...area of expertise, is The Library still open? I think it's just a bit past Lewisville but not quite in Dallas. If it's still there, you'd like it. At least one of our alumnae used to work there, which is the only reason I know about it. She tried to play matchmaker by introducing me to her co-workers once ;)

I have no idea, and truth be told, I never go to any of those places. They make me pretty uncomfortable. But for purposes of sheer exposure, they're great to hang posters in.