UNT shows off throwback uniforms

Harry

Cyril Lemon stood in front of a lot of peering eyes on Monday, when the junior filled an unfamiliar role for North Texas.

UNT trotted out the monstrous offensive lineman at its media day at Apogee Stadium to model the throwback uniform it will wear during its season-opening game against Idaho on Aug. 31 as part of its 100-year anniversary celebration.

The new look honored some of the programs great moments of the past on a day UNT expressed confidence that there are good times coming hopefully this season.

UNT enters 2013 looking to snap a streak of eight straight losing seasons in its third year under Dan McCarney.

There is a different look, a different feel around this football team, McCarney said. Its a combination of a lot of things maturity, development, leadership and a senior class that has said to the younger players: Follow us on and off the field. They know what my expectations are. When you get ownership from the players, you know you have something special.

UNT returns 16 starters from a team that finished 4-8 a year ago in the Mean Greens final season in the Sun Belt Conference.

UNT will play its first season in Conference USA this fall. McCarney and his players acknowledged that moving to what is considered a higher-level league will make continuing its rise under McCarney more difficult.

UNT has won nine games in two years under McCarney after winning eight in the four years combined before his arrival.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130812-football-unt-shows-off-throwback-uniforms-to-be-worn-in-opener.ece

I heard a Ticket Ticker about 10:30 this morning (Tu). They mentioned the 100 year celebration and the new uniforms. They said the white helmets represented the 50s (Odus Mitchell era and intergration), the dark green jerseys were from the Joe Greene era, obviously the Stylized Eagle from the Fry era, and the light turnied green and I missed theeen stripe on the pants.

I thought it was interesting that the uniform modeled by Cyril Lemon was number 75. This number was retired along with 3 others. Personally, I would like to see these 4 jersey numbers to be returned to service by the former players or their families. Maybe given to players we expect a lot out of. Similar to how the Cowboys handle #88. I would like to think that every season we potentially have a player that is good enough that we would otherwise consider retiring his jersey number.

Now, the uniforms look good. How about winning in those uniforms. And in whatever uniform North Texas is wearing on a given day.

GO MEAN GREEN

The team loves them and are proud for the chance to wear them.

I'm debating on whether I am going to participate with a throwback helmet for myself or not? Hmmmm

Rick

Kick it really old school and sport a leather helmet.

(Is leather fire retardant? I've never seen a burning cow...well...except on my tailgating grill.)

• Upvote 3

The Bad fan that I am.

I really like the grunge dirty green on the jerseys (it feels mean to me) but I think the helmets are a big mistake. I would have been happy if the helmet was reversed in the same flat green as the jersey with the worm in white. They could put whatever they like on the helmet as long as the helmet stayed that green and the eagle, text, worm, interlocking NT whatever was white. At that point I would love to keep it.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1