Idaho game- Best BBQ & Tex Mex in Denton

mdmeangreen

OK, so I'm excited about flying in for the Idaho game. Since my favorite college hangout- Flying Tomato- is no more, I need some help from my fellow UNT'ers to find a decent place to hang in Texas. Since there is no such thing as good BBQ or Tex Mex in Maryland, let's start there- any ideas as to the best BBQ & Tex Mex in Denton?

Oh, I'll also be looking forward to the tailgating on gameday!

• Upvote 1

Well, you will get lots of "agreements to disagree" on this subject, but, for me...I try to support the folks who support the Mean Green, so I would say not to forget:

BBQ: Rudy's and Metzler's

Mexican Food: El Guapo's

Yep...plenty of others, but this will perhaps start the ball rolling for you! WELCOME to Apogee...home of the Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

Chuy's is a crime against humanity. For Mexican, I would make the drive to Pappasito's or something. El Guapo's is ok and cheap, but that's about it. For BBQ, Rudy's is ok, and the place in Lewisville off of Justin Rd/35 is ok.

If I were in Denton, I'd go for Cowboy Chicken ahead of anything else, personally.

• Upvote 2

Pappasito's is a chain. Good Mexican food comes from authentic, family owned joints like El Guapo's or Mi Casita. Sadly, there really isn't a great BBQ joint in Denton. Metzler's and Rudy's are not bad, but they aren't coming close to being ranked in Texas.

That's right! There actually used to be a pretty good Mexican restaurant in Denton called Mercardo Juarez- not sure if that place is still there. Of course there's always Cheweys!

Mercado Juarez is now El Guapo's...I believe the guy who owns and runs El Guapo's was working for Mercado Juarez at one time.

Chuy's is a crime against humanity. For Mexican, I would make the drive to Pappasito's or something. El Guapo's is ok and cheap, but that's about it. For BBQ, Rudy's is ok, and the place in Lewisville off of Justin Rd/35 is ok.

If I were in Denton, I'd go for Cowboy Chicken ahead of anything else, personally.

I have yet to try Cowboy Chicken , but have heard it's pretty good

Pappasito's is a chain. Good Mexican food comes from authentic, family owned joints like El Guapo's or Mi Casita.

Pappasito's may be a chain (loosely), but not being a chain doesn't make El Guapo's or Mi Casita better than they are. If you want to get technical, Mi Casita is a chain, too. There are plenty of good Mexican places around, but tastes differ. Los Molcajetes is down the road from me and continually pops up in best of DFW lists, and it's just ok to me.

El Guapo's tends to be under seasoned and pretty generic. I'd rather go to Taco Casa than Mi Casita. Neither are bad, but no one outside of Denton would list either of them as great.

Mercado Juarez was one of my favorites and I was recently looking to go back (after over 20 yrs). The online reviews I read indicated that it had really gone downhill, so I didn't try it. Maybe the reviews were kinda' old, since I wasn't even aware that it had changed names.

Do the chips still have the paprika (?) on them and the pickled veggies on the table?

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1

Mercado Juarez is now El Guapo's...I believe the guy who owns and runs El Guapo's was working for Mercado Juarez at one time.

He actually came from Tia's. Was the GM there for years. Nice guy. Supports NT - some of you may remember his fajitas on the Hospitality deck at Fouts.

• Upvote 1

Mercado Juarez was the bomb, and it was still good when it changed to Cantina del Sol . . . I've been there once since they've been El Guapo's, and I will not go back.

Mazatlan (next to the bowling alley on University) is still good.

As far as good BBQ, is the Smokehouse on Fort Worth Drive still in business?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'll catch grief from some of the Mean Green fans out there for saying this, but I can't find good B-B-Q or Mexican food anywhere around Denton. I had Cousins down in Fort Worth. I know Texas Monthly had named them as good B-B-Q, but for me, it was just okay.

• Upvote 1

The turkey from Rudy's is good. The rest of the food is mediocre. I agree there is not good BBQ in Denton. The best BBQ I have had around here was at Halls grocery in Colleyville. I'm sure there are better places in the metroplex. The best BBQ I have had is back in my hometown of Jefferson, Texas. Joesphs Riverport BBQ is the place. It made the top 50 in Texas Monthly, and is owned by a fellow UNT alumni. Mi Ranchito and El Guapos are not bad. There is also this taqueria off of Bonnie Brae that is not bad. It's east of 35 by the shady apartment complexes and beer barn.

• Upvote 1