Coker brushes off C-USA poll snub

Harry

Well, you know what? Coker said. It's probably a good place to be, and I sure can understand that. I think we were picked last in the WAC last year.

I saw where we're picked seventh (in the C-USA West) and Oklahoma State was picked in one poll to win the Big 12. So, we've got our work cut out for us.

UTSA opens on Aug. 31 at New Mexico and returns home the next week to play Oklahoma State, its first game in history against a Big 12 opponent.

A brutal month continues with a road game the following week at Arizona, followed by its C-USA opener at UTEP and a home game against Houston.

One message Coker likely will send to his players in training camp, which opens Aug. 6, will center on how they shouldn't allow other coaches or commentators to author the narrative for their season.

Hey, don't let people label us, the coach said. If we're seventh, we're seventh. But let's decide that, how we play and who we play. I know that's coach speak. But that's how we're going to approach it.

For the Roadrunners, who finished 8-4 last year, the season's opening weeks could be revealing.

You know, the first five games are going to tell a lot about us, Coker said. But I just think we'll be better than people think we're supposed to be.

The closing stretch all in conference includes Marshall, Rice, UAB, Tulsa, Tulane, North Texas and Louisiana Tech. Marshall, Tulsa and North Texas are on the road.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/Coker-brushes-off-C-USA-poll-snub-4675549.php

They're going to have a rough year. Staying healthy will be a major issue. It reminds me of our 1995 season which one commentator described it as a land mine schedule. A couple beat downs and they won't be so optimistic. It sucks but that is college football.

• Upvote 1

I still see it as an accomplishment for them last year as they beat a couple of WAC teams they went supposed to beat. I say let them have their day. They have a tough road ahead of them this season though.

Free napkins at the gate?

Now come on, UNT90, you cannot say "napkins" because in the most subtle of ways that is code for being anti-feminist. :hair:

Seriously, the best laid plans for a "newbie" coming into NCAA FBS is to mostly be seen and not being susceptible of being heard too much. Coker has won a national championship so that has been and will continue to be difficult for him to do even at a football start-up school.

UTSA and UH: I think as U of Houston found out when they hit a snag, ie, a string of losing seasons and then the novelty of playing off campus in a city-owned domed stadium-- and that being "the 8'th Wonder of the World" Astrodome became old and un-productive for their football program. When UH first started in the 'Dome, they too had lights out attendance but that would eventually dwindle.

Of course, a national clamor for schools' who'd been playing off campus to "move back to campus" would occur which Baylor U finally figured out for themselves after decades of playing at Floyd Casey Stadium. Thanks to ex Houston Astros owner and Baylor alum Drayton McClane, work has already begun on their new "on campus" stadium adjacent to the Brazos River.

Seems that North Texas may have started a "new or re-do's of a stadium" craze but no one would in the Texas we all know would ever admit or give creedance to UNT for doing that, right? :) I'll always say when TCU saw we had plans of building a new one from scratch their engines went into over-drive because at the time they announced their re-do of ACS it would at that time be beyond their wildest dreams that he Big 12 would ever become a possibility. Heck, the Froggies had just been on a 4 or 5 different conference membership odyssey with a destination that I think even surprised Frogdom faithful. Still amazing to some that UT's DeLoss Dodds who had really never been a fan of the private school in the Lone Star State would sponsor TCU. Dodds all by himself could have squelched the whole idea of a 2'nd private school in the Big 12. Still, TCU will always have to genuflect to UT-Austin no matter what. They will also have to concern themselves that UT and OU will not pull a TAMU and leave the Big 12, too.

IMO and as an outsider looking in, UTSA should start a master plan (if they haven't already) to build a new on-campus stadium along with their own version of our Mean Green Village with its impressive group of venues that most recently even impressed a Southeast Conference official. Not sure what a long-lasting and appropriate alternative would be for UTSA than to do this quite frankly and..............all they have to do is look toward Waco and then start taking notes.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1