Will less than 5 wins ruin UNT football for another 5-7+ years?

meangreener

If we lose to UTSA or Idaho, I'm done. That shows a lack of commitment from UNT's coaching staff, administration, players, etc. If they don't care, why should I?

....and if you did that, then the character in this clip (Larry Miller) from Necessary Roughness, wins.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLWhxB6QNrw

Because there are lots of guys like Dean Elias, (who represent the old nesters at North Texas), hanging around waiting for the program to fail. And you can just hand it to them by stepping away.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for high expectations around here and dissatisfaction with under-performance, but let's not forget or incorrectly prioritize the fact that DMac had 2 rebuilding projects when he got here:

1. Classroom performance

2. Football performance

He's accomplished #1. That bought him patience for #2 which I expect him to demonstrate in 2013.

Will it translate to wins? I don't know, but my expectation is a team that ends the year with momentum that can be built on and promoted leading to 2014 when anything short of a bowl bid is unacceptable.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just thought about something.

If the cupboard is/was so bare and Mac needed time to "get his guys in" (he has now had 3 recruiting classes already. 2011, 2012 and 2013) then how come a lot of this year's starters are Dodge's players?

Serious and genuine question.

• Upvote 4

I just thought about something.

If the cupboard is/was so bare and Mac needed time to "get his guys in" (he has now had 3 recruiting classes already. 2011, 2012 and 2013) then how come a lot of this year's starters are Dodge's players?

Serious and genuine question.

Because the remaining Dodge players are 4th and 5th year guys now and he actually did a decent job recruiting high school players. Problem was he didn't leave Mac with very many.

Dodge's 2010 signing class had 12 high school guys. 7 of them are starting, 1 is our kicker, 1 is our deep snapper, 1 is Richard Abbe (TBD), backup receiver and special teams contributor Derrick Teagarden, and the one who didn't work out in Graylin Hawkins. 11 out of 12 contributors is pretty good, but it's still only 11 out of 12.

The 2009 class had 21 overall signings but just 14 high school guys. These high school signings weren't as efficient as the 2010 class, but we did get Ryan Boutwell, Hilbert Jackson, Derek Thompson, LaChris Anyiam, and Daniel Prior. Punter Will Atterberry finished his four-year career last year, but the other 8 high school guys either left early or never made it in. So 6 out of 14 guys have contributed under Coach Mac, 4 of which are our current starters.

Between the 2009 and 2010 class, Dodge left Coach Mac with 17 high school signees. Most classes have more high school kids than that every single class. Not only that, but a lot of those JUCO guys that Dodge filled those last two classes with either didn't make it in or didn't contribute much for us.

With Atterberry gone and potentially Abbe gone, we have 15 guys left from the class of 2009 and 2010 to start this season. 11 of these guys are slated to be starters, plus our kicker and deep snapper. Additionally, 4 of these guys have garnered preseason all-conference potential in Antonio Johnson, Mason Y'Barbo, Brelan Chancellor, and Zach Orr (all 4 from 2010 class).

Coach Mac and crew have done an amazing job developing these guys who were redshirt freshman and sophomores when they got here. Not to mention Coach Mac's 2011 class which has 3 preseason all-conference caliber players in Zach Whitfield, Derek Akunne, and Cyril Lemon.

The bare cupboard excuse is always a lame one, but it can't be made anymore. The Dodge holdovers have proven to be pretty good and, while they make up a good amount of our starters, Coach Mac has brought in guys and kept them here. We have these all-conference guys and depth, at least in numbers, to go along with it.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Mac isn't going high profile. He's looking for certain players that he can build...players like Zac Whitfield and Jimmerson prove this.

He knows he can't get the big name guys and it appears to be working fine to me. Not to mention he's not drafting a bunch of undersized kids like Dodge did.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1