Will less than 5 wins ruin UNT football for another 5-7+ years?

meangreener

'think

Part of the charm of college football to me is that everyone starts off the season with high hopes and optimism. This season reminds me a lot of 2001 in that we didn't really have high expectations and things just clicked. I could be wrong but as a fan it is certainly more fun to think about good outcomes.

It really reminds me of 2001, too, Harry, when we really didn't know if we had ship or shinola for a team. All the SBC media had totally fallen in love with the MUTS who had no NCAA FBS level history whatsoever. Seems by the 'Belts 3'rd year that same media decided they better fall in love with another school besides the one north of Nashville.

Fact is, Darrell Dickey & staff (most admirably) in about their 3'rd year at UNT recruited about 10 Texas state Top 100 recruits which created a good foundation for our early SBC success. His main problem became that he and staff (for whatever reasons) quality of recruiting fell off immensely yet they tried to live off that one great recruiting class to no avail.

Had DD & Staff recruited another similar class for 2 more recruiting seasons he probably would have had a Top 25 ranked bowl team in 1 or 2 of his NO's Bowl teams; he would have gotten his interview at a Power 5 school and then he would have probably gotten a job at one of them. Enter Todd Dodge and then this football program basically bottomed out and worse, it bottomed out in the Sun Belt Conference. So folks, this is what Coach Dan McCarney inherited when he got our job along with a new football palace many from coast to coast are admiring along with its LEEDS Platinum classification.

By now, though, we know it takes more than a village :( I mean it takes more than a spankin' new (preferably filled) stadium now-a-days, too. Heck, many of our Texas HS products have played in smaller and a bit less fancier versions of Apogee and many of them even had indoor football facilities for our hotter than hell Texas August & Septembers. (Yes, an indoor facility really needs to be toward the top of our "what do we build next" in the Mean Green Village and I'd bet few of you would disagree).

I think if Coach Mac only won 3 or 4 games this Fall it would present problems for him, but I don't this team (barring a horrendous number of injuries) will win so few games as that. I still say 7 wins with 6 wins being the minimum.

I am looking forward to this inaugural CUSA football season and am booking DJ events on non Game Day Saturdays for this historic year for Mean Green football. IMO, more should be a bit more extra excited about this special upcoming Fall than what some of these threads are indicating; after all, it is also our 100'th year of playing football at North Texas---but give it a chance to be a successful one before it even starts? :(

Hey! We have all had our Negative-Ned moments especially if you've followed this football program for any extended amount of time ie, years, decades and close to or over a half century for some, but now is the time for all of us to put up a stiff upper lip to support the only college team in Texas that we give a damn about and show solidarity of support instead of our going in 50 different directions with 50 different "this is what we really should do" agendas.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't think there's any worth in even bothering to market to the northern suburbs. These are stuck up snobs who really only care about TCU and UT...they relate to them because the people there are shallow and only like things that are bright, new and shiny (or rolling in $.) UNT should focus on "NORTH TEXAS" and make us North Texas's team. Not DFW.

I've been wondering why we don't for years now.

Edited by meangreener

To me, there are threee scenarios that play out this year.

50% We win 5+ games. Our schedule is easier this year than last year, I don't care what anyone says. La Tech of 2013 ain't anywhere close to La Tech of 2012, Southern Miss of 2013 looks much more like USM of 2012 than USM of 2011, Tulane is still horrible, UTEP is still bad, Idaho is terrible, and UTSA is about as close to Texas Southern as a FBS school can be. There's 4 wins out of that group, IMO. If you win one more against the rest of the schedule (sans Georgia and Tulsa), that's 5. Should be doable and probably gets Mac an extension, one that is well deserved, even if we just get back to 5 wins. HE has had to rebuild this thing up from below the ground. At least we have big bodies to fill out an OLine now. If not, then...

40% We win 3-4 games. That probably means two things. Bad QB play continues and we have tons of injuries. We have two gimmees on the schedule in Idaho and UTSA at home. Winning at least one more game against the rest shouldn't be too hard. You have to pray Berglund can make some progress for the future. Mac will enter Year 4 clearly on the Hot Seat, with it being his make-it-or-break-it year.

10% We win 2 or less games. If this occurs, its the only way I could see Mac getting fired, but even that seems only feasible if we only one game. If Idaho or UTSA beat us, we really should fold up the tent, especially if its UTSA. That would be catastrophic. I'm on record that a loss to UTSA is the end of my fandom unless Mac is fired that following week. Idaho would be awful, too, but we don't recruit against them. It won't happen, though. UTSA will not beat us in Denton. I think a 2-10 season is the floor for this program this year, but I don't think Mac gets fired--the precedent is that Dodge got to come back for a 4th year following his second 2-10 year of his wonderful tenure here and the buyout of Mac's contract is about three times what Dodge's was, which is what truly matters the most in Denton when it comes to sports.

• Upvote 1

50% We win 5+ games. Our schedule is easier this year than last year, I don't care what anyone says. La Tech of 2013 ain't anywhere close to La Tech of 2012, Southern Miss of 2013 looks much more like USM of 2012 than USM of 2011, Tulane is still horrible, UTEP is still bad, Idaho is terrible, and UTSA is about as close to Texas Southern as a FBS school can be. There's 4 wins out of that group, IMO. If you win one more against the rest of the schedule (sans Georgia and Tulsa), that's 5. Should be doable and probably gets Mac an extension, one that is well deserved, even if we just get back to 5 wins. HE has had to rebuild this thing up from below the ground. At least we have big bodies to fill out an OLine now. If not, then...

40% We win 3-4 games. That probably means two things. Bad QB play continues and we have tons of injuries. We have two gimmees on the schedule in Idaho and UTSA at home. Winning at least one more game against the rest shouldn't be too hard. You have to pray Berglund can make some progress for the future. Mac will enter Year 4 clearly on the Hot Seat, with it being his make-it-or-break-it year.

10% We win 2 or less games. If this occurs, its the only way I could see Mac getting fired, but even that seems only feasible if we only one game. If Idaho or UTSA beat us, we really should fold up the tent, especially if its UTSA. That would be catastrophic. I'm on record that a loss to UTSA is the end of my fandom unless Mac is fired that following week. Idaho would be awful, too, but we don't recruit against them. It won't happen, though. UTSA will not beat us in Denton. I think a 2-10 season is the floor for this program this year, but I don't think Mac gets fired--the precedent is that Dodge got to come back for a 4th year following his second 2-10 year of his wonderful tenure here and the buyout of Mac's contract is about three times what Dodge's was, which is what truly matters the most in Denton when it comes to sports.

If we lose to UTSA or Idaho, I'm done. That shows a lack of commitment from UNT's coaching staff, administration, players, etc. If they don't care, why should I?

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMO, more should be a bit more extra excited about this special upcoming Fall than what some of these threads are indicating.

I'd like to be more excited.

But I think many of us remember how excited we've been leading up to seasons in the past and then recall how black and blue our balls were from being kicked in them so many times throughout the season.

It's hard to get excited about bruised balls, Plumm.

Maybe if we get GMG cups the mood of the board will become more positive!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we lose to UTSA or Idaho, I'm done. That shows a lack of commitment from UNT's coaching staff, administration, players, etc. If they don't care, why should I?

If we lose to Idaho, its not an ender to me, just because its that first game of the year. Weird stuff happens in early season games. FCS teams best AQ teams in early season games from time to time. Idaho is a bit better than a FCS team. The thing is that we don't recruit against Idaho. Its at a point where we cannot fall behind UTSA or Texas State in recruiting. A loss to UTSA does that. And that is why its my line in the sand for the short term as a UNT fan.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to be more excited.

But I think many of us remember how excited we've been leading up to seasons in the past and then recall how black and blue our balls were from being kicked in them so many times throughout the season.

It's hard to get excited about bruised balls, Plumm.

Maybe if we get GMG cups the mood of the board will become more positive!

This! :zoro:

The 2013 Mean Green football team and all of their fan's new battle-cry is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMz_RQuTBlI

• Upvote 2

Man, if I only had a nickel for each time someone on this board said..."if this or that doesn't happen I am done"... If only, if only.

I might be able to drink free beer for life and share a bunch of it with Thor. I know one "fan" who says that at least two or three times each year...hasn't left YET...I am still waiting for him to actually mean what he says....of course, I hope he continues to just throw out the idle threats.

• Upvote 1

In a perfect world at a university that cared about athletics, you would be correct.

Sadly...

What I fear more than death itself is that we crater this year in football, winning only 3 games, followed by an upcoming disastrous year in men's basketball, leaving the new president facing the need to replace a football and basketball coach with a combined 5 years left on their contracts.

Of course, replacing the person responsible for those hires isn't even am option with the recent contract extension given by the BOR (unless there is an affordable buy out clause), must be nice to have the least accountability of any AD at the FBS level. If I were RV, I'd never leave.

This is a very, very, very, very important football season, for a lot of different reasons.

the new president is not going to give a damn about athletics at least for the first 18 months or so there are plenty of academic messes to clean up and the new president is going to be a system "yes man" just like all the recent hires for the Denton campus and for the rest of the system components and if they dare buck the system and lee the idiot they will be sent packing just like Dr B. was

more than likely they will be someone with mid-level admin experience at a less than top reputation system or from a university with little overall research focus......they are not going to come in and focus on athletics they are going to come in and have athletics on the back burner and the current program will continue as it is......plus there is little they could do to change things anyway with current budget constraints

um UTSA won more D1-A games last year than north Texas did....UTSA won 4 D1-A games including a win over a common opponent USA and a win over Texas State that throttled UH that throttled north Texas and UTSA also had wins over better D1-AA teams than north Texas (see you later McNeese State VS TSU) and the only 4 losses UTSA had last year were to three teams that played in bowl games (Rice, SJSU, and Utah State) and La Tech that was bowl eligible and the three bowl teams won their bowls as well

so if UTSA is as close to anything Texas Southern in D1-A football than north Texas must be as close to anything worse than Texas southern in D1-AA

If we lose to Idaho, its not an ender to me, just because its that first game of the year. Weird stuff happens in early season games. FCS teams best AQ teams in early season games from time to time. Idaho is a bit better than a FCS team. The thing is that we don't recruit against Idaho. Its at a point where we cannot fall behind UTSA or Texas State in recruiting. A loss to UTSA does that. And that is why its my line in the sand for the short term as a UNT fan.

north Texas has already clearly fallen behind Texas State in recruiting and is there or getting there with UTSA

in 2013 Texas State was Rivals #81 and north Texas was #117.....spin it any way you wish, but #81 is much better than #117 period and the difference is significant

in 2012 Texas State was #91 and north Texas was #99 so for two years in a row Texas state has been ahead in recruiting and Texas state is improving in those two years while north Texas is falling back from 2012 to 2013

currently for 2014 Texas state is #98 while north Texas is #109

Scout in 2012 had Texas state at #120 and north Texas at #110 and UTSA at #124

in 2013 it was UTSA #100 Texas State #104 and north Texas #124

for 2014 it is currently UTSA #104 and Texas State and north Texas unranked

so no need to be concerned about the possibility of those two out recruiting north Texas because of this season being poor they are pretty much already doing that or getting very close to doing that

also just a quick factoid from another thread.....the heart of Alamo Heights is 4 miles from the heart of downtown San Antonio and Alamo Heights is well inside loop 410 so Alamo Heights is far from being a suburban location and in fact if one looks at the map of San Antonio they would see Alamo Heights is pretty much the heart of central San Antonio proper......how can you comment on a place when you do not even know where it is located?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

the new president is not going to give a damn about athletics at least for the first 18 months or so there are plenty of academic messes to clean up and the new president is going to be a system "yes man" just like all the recent hires for the Denton campus and for the rest of the system components and if they dare buck the system and lee the idiot they will be sent packing just like Dr B. was

more than likely they will be someone with mid-level admin experience at a less than top reputation system or from a university with little overall research focus......they are not going to come in and focus on athletics they are going to come in and have athletics on the back burner and the current program will continue as it is......plus there is little they could do to change things anyway with current budget constraints

um UTSA won more D1-A games last year than north Texas did....UTSA won 4 D1-A games including a win over a common opponent USA and a win over Texas State that throttled UH that throttled north Texas and UTSA also had wins over better D1-AA teams than north Texas (see you later McNeese State VS TSU) and the only 4 losses UTSA had last year were to three teams that played in bowl games (Rice, SJSU, and Utah State) and La Tech that was bowl eligible and the three bowl teams won their bowls as well

so if UTSA is as close to anything Texas Southern in D1-A football than north Texas must be as close to anything worse than Texas southern in D1-AA

north Texas has already clearly fallen behind Texas State in recruiting and is there or getting there with UTSA

in 2013 Texas State was Rivals #81 and north Texas was #117.....spin it any way you wish, but #81 is much better than #117 period and the difference is significant

in 2012 Texas State was #91 and north Texas was #99 so for two years in a row Texas state has been ahead in recruiting and Texas state is improving in those two years while north Texas is falling back from 2012 to 2013

currently for 2014 Texas state is #98 while north Texas is #109

Scout in 2012 had Texas state at #120 and north Texas at #110 and UTSA at #124

in 2013 it was UTSA #100 Texas State #104 and north Texas #124

for 2014 it is currently UTSA #104 and Texas State and north Texas unranked

so no need to be concerned about the possibility of those two out recruiting north Texas because of this season being poor they are pretty much already doing that or getting very close to doing that

also just a quick factoid from another thread.....the heart of Alamo Heights is 4 miles from the heart of downtown San Antonio and Alamo Heights is well inside loop 410 so Alamo Heights is far from being a suburban location and in fact if one looks at the map of San Antonio they would see Alamo Heights is pretty much the heart of central San Antonio proper......how can you comment on a place when you do not even know where it is located?

So Mr. Know All Things About North Texas And What It Is Which Makes You So Damn Compulsive Obsessive About The Very Subject of UNT..............This......

........why don't you just start a grass roots effort by first writing your local state senator or representative and tell him you start your petition today with the goal and objective which will be to start the dismantling of the University of North Texas building by building since in your eyes it's been a waste of you and your kind's tax monies ever since its beginning in 1890. Will that then make you get the hell off the subject and..............this board for crissakes'?

With the exception of a mothers-to-be life, I never believed in any form of the ripping of a living, breathing (& in the process of a human being formed) out of a woman's womb because someone at conception basically had no control of their sex life (in too many cases) and what their eventual responsibilities would be after a birth took place, ie, the very popular "NOW" political subject of abortion until you came to this message board but I think I know now what the exception would have been on that subject....along with scores of politicians in this country who just cannot stand the very idea of what our Founding Fathers did which turned out to become so damn successful without their ingenious input; so therefore, their doing their damn'dest to break that which is not broken and that which millions are trying daily to bust through our borders to be part of the greatest country the world has ever seen. Well, it seems the Founding Fathers must have done something right so WHY THE HELL MUCK IT UP? I know, this is all much too strong, will make some tense so boot it off this as a "no politics" that is, unless it fits your agenda or narrative. What they guy above who inspired this response is most always political with what he is saying about UNT so what's the difference here? Yes, I hold on to my guns and religion....how about you because we might need them sooner than later. And for what its worth....it sure seems to be common knowledge that our very own Founding Fathers kept their guns close at hand, too, because even they thought they might need to use them just in case someone tried to dramatically change the course of what they so ingeniously put together. Recently, a few battles have been won by what seems a very low information crowd, but I know who I will still put my money on and who will eventually win the war because.....

.........We The People always do since we still have the numbers which will make that possible; and those numbers include every race, creed and religion in this country. No one race has a monopoly on this great republic we have to daily defend. I still wonder when some in D.C. will be able to figure out that and what is basically simple arithmetic?

Have A Nice Day! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2