2013 UNT FB Season W/L Predictions

Harry

Mac wants to run the football and stop the run. I'm worried that teams will run run play action UNT to death. The one thing I'm hoping for is for the secondary and LB play to be good enough against the run to cause opposing teams to have to pass, and then for the secondary to be able to cover long enough to get some QB pressure. I think Skladany is going to get the maximum out of these guys, and UNT finally is showing signs of having size and depth enough to keep pounding late into the game on both O and D. Now, that's still an issue with the DL, but the LB's and safeties are simply going to have to play with their hair on fire to help compensate.

Offensively, the WR crew has to show up. I know QB play is a big deal around here, but the WR position disappeared last year. It was pitiful. With even marginal improvement at receiver, this team wins 2 extra games this year. I'm still predicting 5-7, but I can see 6-6 or MAYBE 7-5 if UNT gets a couple of breaks. I do think they will win a game or two that are slight surprises or very very close games.

• Upvote 2

Idaho-Easy win, will be a big crowd, opening at home. Expect a blowout.

Ohio-Loss. Team will be better than last year. Will roll.

Ball State-Close win.

Georgia-Loss.

Tulane-Easy win.

MUTS-Will be a fun game. We will win, since it's home.

Tech-Loss. Really underestimated team.

Southern Miss-They'll be close to as bad as they were last year so we'll win.

Rice-Toss up. I say win.

UTEP-Loss. UTEP will be a battle.

UTSA-Blowout win.

Tulsa-We lose.

Stand by 7-5. Feeling confident. I don't think we need to improve too much to get there and I think CUSA is a step down in competition.

Really a BLOWOUT win? So you think were just going to lay down and play dead? I got news for you bro you might win but not in a blowout.

• Upvote 2

Idaho-Easy win, will be a big crowd, opening at home. Expect a blowout.

Ohio-Loss. Team will be better than last year. Will roll.

Ball State-Close win.

Georgia-Loss.

Tulane-Easy win.

MUTS-Will be a fun game. We will win, since it's home.

Tech-Loss. Really underestimated team.

Southern Miss-They'll be close to as bad as they were last year so we'll win.

Rice-Toss up. I say win.

UTEP-Loss. UTEP will be a battle.

UTSA-Blowout win.

Tulsa-We lose.

Stand by 7-5. Feeling confident. I don't think we need to improve too much to get there and I think CUSA is a step down in competition.

Rice a toss up and UTEP a loss? Your logic is flawed on that one.

• Upvote 1

Really a BLOWOUT win? So you think were just going to lay down and play dead? I got news for you bro you might win but not in a blowout.

I wish we were playing ya'll down there this year. Good road trip and I could use me some KFC to soak up the beer!

• Upvote 1

This is a 3-4 win team at the most especially with Derek Thompson still running the show. He's an average FBS quarterback at best. Outside of Brelan Chancellor and maybe Carlos Harris, there's not a lot of big play targets in the passing game. I like Pegram and Byrd but both could be facing a lot of 8 and 9 man fronts. The Mean Green ranked 103rd in red zone offense last year. That number has to get better. Defensively, we're woefully soft up front and the loss of Richard Abbe doesn' help.

I see wins against Idaho, UTSA, UTEP, and possibly Tulane. Look for Brock Berglund to be named the starting quarterback by the MTSU game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wish we were playing ya'll down there this year. Good road trip and I could use me some KFC to soak up the beer!

Now do you want that crispy or original? Lol. OK just a FYI to all UNT fans watch out don't be like Texas State fans and say how they were going to beat our ASS in. We all know what the results of that game were. Yes sir we beat their ass in 38-31

4-8.

Way too many unproven positions need to have rapid development and a little luck (which we never have). QB, WR, DL, and secondary are all question marks, with DL and QB being the most glaring.

Better win the Idaho game, or we could (will) be looking at 0-4 heading into Tulane.

• Downvote 2

There are still too many unknowns heading into this season. QB, WR and the D-line are all areas that need to be addressed. I'll revisit this thread after we see how the position battles play out and know who is starting QB and who is rotating in at the WRs and D-line.

I agree. I think we will have a strong secondary, and probably a strong LB corp.

7-5. No one has a clue how we will do this year, but If I am going to err it is going to be on the side of optimism. Our defensive front will be key and speaking of which, I just noticed that two Texas players were arrested for something rather serious and will be suspended for the New Mexico State game (DEVASTATING!) It made me think of Abbe though, and gives me hope that he will be back. Suspend him for the Idaho game.

This is a 3-4 win team at the most especially with Derek Thompson still running the show. He's an average FBS quarterback at best. Outside of Brelan Chancellor and maybe Carlos Harris, there's not a lot of big play targets in the passing game. I like Pegram and Byrd but both could be facing a lot of 8 and 9 man fronts. The Mean Green ranked 103rd in red zone offense last year. That number has to get better. Defensively, we're woefully soft up front and the loss of Richard Abbe doesn' help.

I see wins against Idaho, UTSA, UTEP, and possibly Tulane. Look for Brock Berglund to be named the starting quarterback by the MTSU game.

Any chance we have some running backs get moved around and catching passes out of the backfield, or perhaps as a WR? JimJim?

We might have more than 2 weapons, but need to come up with some creative ways to get them the ball in the open field. Oh, and Brelan needs to stay healthy.

Honestly, I agree with you. The Mean Green should be favored in this game, but I don't expect a blowout. We don't really have the type of offense that's built to blow most teams out. The Texas Southern game last season is an example of this. UTSA is far better than Texas Southern...and better coached.

• Upvote 1

I just looked over last years schedule again. Ahhh the memories. Sure we could have been 6-6. We just as easy could have been 3-9. LaLa we pulled out of our arse thank goodness. Several of the loses were basically blow outs. Then you factor in that this years conference play is at least somewhat more difficult than last. We have DT’s the size of linebackers. Our golden boy quarterback may not even win the #2 spot. I just don’t see much reason for optimism. As I said before I hope and pray I am wrong. I will eat my crow without any salt or pepper and be damn happy to do it.

• Downvote 1