Let's play a little game

emmitt01

If I told you that we just signed a kid who would come in and give you, on average, the following stats:

13.1 ppg

8.4 rpg

2.4 blocks per game (and is your all-time blocked shots leader in 1 1/2 seasons)

How many of you would say "nah, I don't want that guy"?

Yet, I've talked to at least five different people who refered to Tony Mitchell as a disappointment, over-hyped or told me we will be "better without him". I'm amused.

When Tony came back from the Amare and Lebron camps, how many articles did he write touting himself as a superstar? How many ESPN blog entries did he write? How many draft projections did he put out there? Last I counted, none. Does he write for Meangreenaports.com? Yet, somehow, many want to lay this dumpster fire at the feet of a kid who did ZERO to hype himself up. We deserve the void that will be left when he exits.

I don't think too many are going to dump on TM and blame him for this, but it's hard not to wonder where those 34/16 games went. Well, come to think of it I guess those games went to BR with JJ. Sure hope TM comes back next year with a vengeance, because we're going to need him in a big way.

• Upvote 2

If I told you that we just signed a kid who would come in and give you, on average, the following stats:

13.1 ppg

8.4 rpg

2.4 blocks per game (and is your all-time blocked shots leader in 1 1/2 seasons)

How many of you would say "nah, I don't want that guy"?

Yet, I've talked to at least five different people who refered to Tony Mitchell as a disappointment, over-hyped or told me we will be "better without him". I'm amused.

When Tony came back from the Amare and Lebron camps, how many articles did he write touting himself as a superstar? How many ESPN blog entries did he write? How many draft projections did he put out there? Last I counted, none. Does he write for Meangreenaports.com? Yet, somehow, many want to lay this dumpster fire at the feet of a kid who did ZERO to hype himself up. We deserve the void that will be left when he exits.

These people are idiots. The only reason I kept going to games this year even though I had paid for 4 season tickets was because of Tony Mitchell. He was so much fun to watch even on this trainwreck. Otherwise I would have stopped going in December after the St. Louis game.

Next year we will see what we are missing defensively and in the boards when Tony is gone.

Everyone focuses on 1/3 of what makes a good basketball team (offense) and ignores the other 2/3 (defense and rebounding).

Mitchell's absence in 2/3 of what is important will be HUGE.

8 wins. Maybe.

• Downvote 1

Strange, isn't it, that OURfan base is about the only place you'll hear the ridiculous notion that Tony "won't be playing in the NBA"? I mean, we actually have North Texas fans who suggest that he's not going to be drafted. I guess we're just not accustomed to guys of Tony's pedigree and figure 5* kids are disposable because we've never seen talent. (Cue silly yesteryear stories of Kenny Lyons and his Southland exploits).

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

Edited by emmitt01

Tony is one of the top 2,3 athletes in the entire country. He may not be in the lottery based on this season , but he is a for sure mid to late 1st round pick.

Teams will look at his vertical , wingspan ,etc over any stats. There have been plenty of 1st round picks who had less impressive college #'s than TM

If anyone suggest we will better without him , please tell me who will replace him. Coleman , Nunn ?

I'm just not seeing who will be grabbing rebounds for us next season without him & Roger

Edited by NT03

All that said , I think he needs to come back. Teams may still want him to mature more.

A starting lineup of -

Chris Jones

TJ Taylor

Jordan Williams

Tony Mitchell

*Lekan Ajayi

Would get my hopes up again for next season

Having Alzee & Walton coming off bench as our 6th & 7th men would make us pretty deep

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

I just wonder who these "fans" are that some folks are talking with? GreenP1 is 100% correct, our fan base can be pretty stupid. I just don't think it might be the same part of the fan base we are individually thinking about here.

I have heard NO ONE say that TM's averages were not something that UNT could use again next season. I have heard some wonder where the TM avg's from the year before went. Even TM himself has mentioned as much. TM was/is an integral part of UNT's team...a big part, but I doubt we see him back next season based on some of the scuttlebutt I have heard recently. The selfish part of me sure wishes he would return, but the "reality" side of me understands that Tony's future lies in making his living playing professional BB be it in the NBA, NBADL, Europe or whatever comes.

We can play all the games we want, and we can twist the "games" to fit our individual personal agendas, and that's just fine for a message board discussion, but that will not change the facts one way or the other.

To those who think the train is off the rails for years to come, I would suggest a "wait and see" approach. For me, whenever the times comes to re-up my season tickets, it's a non-issue. My bride and I will be back in our same seats next season. I think we will have plenty of company at the Super Pit. But, it is always good to have even more company. And, I suppose we will see some new faces and say goodbye to some "old faces". Seems it is pretty much that way every year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

http://tonymitchell13.com/

What TM proved this year is an inability to lead on the floor. It's his body language that bothered me more than anything. I want my best player to at least look inspired.

Blast away, but a top 2-3 athlete in the country should dominate Sun Belt competition.

No college player can dominate ANY conference when being consistently double and triple teamed. UNT was terrible at rotating players to the proper posotions on the court when those double and triple teams came at TM, and TM was not good at finding the open man.

This is a coaching issue.

• Upvote 2

No college player can dominate ANY conference when being consistently double and triple teamed. UNT was terrible at rotating players to the proper posotions on the court when those double and triple teams came at TM, and TM was not good at finding the open man.

This is a coaching issue.

Just stop man. You'll never make people understand that you can't athlete your way into averaging 20 points against double and triple teams. That you can't simply bull in china shop your way into the paint. That attempting to do sl would lead to fouling out in the first half or enough turnovers to guarantee a loss. That Tony was NEVER supposed to be a big scorer...no, not at Mizzou and not here. Or that, gasp, there are decent big men in the Sun Belt.

And KRAM, I talked to five people of the top of my head decked out in green who told me that "that's not an NBA player"...and one clad in blue who told me that he was a surefire first rounder. I'll be happy for the kid when he's no longer the scapegoat. Maybe we can pin the losses on TJ Taylor next season?

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I had a couple mention to me that we would be better next year with Tony gone. Just plain crazy talk. Nothing to do but just shake your head and pray to god that somehow, despite all you have ever known about basketball, that they are right.

Really fear our 1st season in CUSA.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny, how many people profess how dumb the NT fan base is; when they really mean how dumb that part that doesn't agree with them are.

This years' mbb team was a disaster. Even with the injuries and losing JJ; this team should have been one of the best at NT. If you really analyse the situation there is only one plausible reason, a bad HC hire. How does anyone with any analytical ability think the players that are the most highly regarded group at NT at least since the seventies, all of a sudden don't give a damn or just cannot play. Does anyone really doubt that if the ULL and NT head coaches switched jobs, that NT would have won all three games? Problem, you can use that analogy with almost any coach and team; NT played.

Tony Mitchell is a talent that a team like NT will seldom get. Only one close in athletic promise I can remember was Bobby Iverson. Mitchell seldom had big offensive numbers once teams started concentrating on him. He just is not a player that can create his own shots. Despite his down year and court manner which hurts him with the fans, he was the best player in the league and should have been first team all conference. Not going to happen with a bad team, and coaches that want to forget all the effort they used to nullify him on the court.

Can Benford succeed here, not likely. First, it is highly unlikely that he will ever have the talent that he just squandered in his first year. Second, Benford was far from great recruiting at NT before this years disaster. Does anyone think that he is going to bring in better players? The only hope is that Benford can transform from a truly awful coach to a good one, again far from likely.

• Upvote 3

I disagree. He's inconsistent and hasn't made much of a difference. You can blame coaching and I'm not saying we'll be better without him but his time here team-wise has been meh. Not trying to hate on the kid but I'm not blown away by 13 and 8 in the Sun Belt.

And you conveniently forget his 1st year, where he averaged a double double as a freshman. What changed to cause his digression?

The coach.

This ain't rocket science.