UNT star out of starting lineup

Brett Vito

People gush over Franklin, rightly so; but don't realize that without Mitchell; he would not be close to as effective. I guess it is more fashionable to get down on Mitchell because he is not "all world" like we thought he would be. Actually NT has moved away as Mitchell as their number one offensive option is playing a little better.

IMO, Mitchell is playing out of position with a Coach that has no idea how to use him. I do think that Mitchell has been pressing most of the year and he is now only a fraction of what he could be, but that fraction is still a pretty good player.

Just curious, but how would you use Mitchell? I live out of town and haven't been able to come to any games this year, so this is an honest question since I mainly follow the game through ESPN.com. How is he being used and how would you use him differently within the context of this team?

Just curious, but how would you use Mitchell? I live out of town and haven't been able to come to any games this year, so this is an honest question since I mainly follow the game through ESPN.com. How is he being used and how would you use him differently within the context of this team?

I would like to know as well as didn't JJ pretty much use him the same way? I know in a perfect world and certainly in the pros he will not be playing post...but given this team and the players available, would love to hear from some of our most astute basketball folks how they would use him here at UNT. Would you rely on Coleman, Nikko or who to play that spot on an every game starting basis...or what other option would there be. Like Lifer...honest question....So, play Coach at UNT with the squad you have...what do you do, Coach?

• Upvote 1

Well Benford like Jones last year is in a box because he has no one else to really play the center position. Mitchell has the body and ability to be a very good center in college, but not the heart. He is pushed around a lot, and doesn't seem to like the crowd around the basket. He spends way too much time around the three point line on both ends of the court.

Mitchell is quick for his size but his coordination is not great and despite what Benford's states he is not a good ball handler. The coaches are obviously playing him were they think he helps the team the most. I would really like to see him at the 4 and would greatly limit him on the outside. His outside shooting is not awful, but you are moving your best rebounder away from the basket with a poor rebounding team. I would have Coleman, Niko, and Franklin alternate at the 5, none are close to Mitchell but it would free up Tony some. His game IMO should be defense, rebounding and close to basket offense.

• Upvote 5

I have been very disapointed with this season's Mean Green basketball. With all the concerns Coach Benford must have, I'm impressed that he has the nerve to still be a coach and to "sit down" his most visable player.

GO MEAN GREEN

For a whole 2 minutes. That takes real guts, don't it?

For the record, if you miss a practice, even if it is excused to do a photo op for the AD or any other reason, you don't start.

Y'all could be making a mountain out of ... dirt?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do not understand all the excuses for Tony. Bad coach, out of position, it is ok for him to miss classes, no one down under is the reason for Roger's success. List goes.on and on. As for as maturity, well he would be halfway through his junior year or in the NBA had things gone as planned at Mizzou. Yes he is a talent, but his motor just stays in idle. And he does not play hard for a school that gave him a second chance so he could get back on his feet after Mizzou. As pointed out, four boards last night. Except for guard, he should be able to play any one of the three other positions on the floor given our level. We are playing in the Sunbelt, not the ACC.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well Benford like Jones last year is in a box because he has no one else to really play the center position. Mitchell has the body and ability to be a very good center in college, but not the heart. He is pushed around a lot, and doesn't seem to like the crowd around the basket. He spends way too much time around the three point line on both ends of the court.Mitchell is quick for his size but his coordination is not great and despite what Benford's states he is not a good ball handler. The coaches are obviously playing him were they think he helps the team the most. I would really like to see him at the 4 and would greatly limit him on the outside. His outside shooting is not awful, but you are moving your best rebounder away from the basket with a poor rebounding team. I would have Coleman, Niko, and Franklin alternate at the 5, none are close to Mitchell but it would free up Tony some. His game IMO should be defense, rebounding and close to basket offense.

Very well said. This.

I do not understand all the excuses for Tony. Bad coach, out of position, it is ok for him to miss classes, no one down under is the reason for Roger's success. List goes.on and on. As for as maturity, well he would be halfway through his junior year or in the NBA had things gone as planned at Mizzou. Yes he is a talent, but his motor just stays in idle. And he does not play hard for a school that gave him a second chance so he could get back on his feet after Mizzou. As pointed out, four boards last night. Except for guard, he should be able to play any one of the three other positions on the floor given our level. We are playing in the Sunbelt, not the ACC.

NT gave him a second chance? Don't you realize that about every school in the country would have signed Tony if able.

Lets get to all those excuses you cite. Do you think Benford's coaching debate has been anything other than a disaster? I like everyone hopes he turns it around, but if there has been a worst coaching performance than he has this year, I've not seen it. If Mitchell was not here, the team should still be a lot better than it has been. Out of position, sure he is. That is a factor, but not a big excuse. I agree he should be performing better, but I give the Belt a lot more credit than you do. Any team can stop one player the majority of the time.

Missing classes, if this is the case; then he is definitely responsible. However, it is hardly a big offense for college athletes and if his punishment is only missing a few minutes of the game, the administration does not think it is a big deal ether.

If you don't think Tony's is a big factor in Franklin's stats than there is no use in going any further on that topic. Franklin's hustle and skill are to be applauded.

Motor doesn't run hard? It didn't run any harder last year, and he was the best player in the Belt. Mitchell's demeanor leads to lots of criticism, but I see more frustration than I do lack of effort.

I hate to have added to all those excuses for Mitchell. I am not into hammering any NT athlete. The truth is everyone is very disappointed in the team, coaches, and Tony this year. If you remove all the hype about Mitchell and just look at this year, he is a 13 pt 8 rb guy who terrorises the opponents inside. On that basis, he is very solid player and no matter what happens this year, he has probably provided more publicity to NT than any athlete in history other than Joe Greene.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 7

NT gave him a second chance? Don't you realize that about every school in the country would have signed Tony if able.

Lets get to all those excuses you cite. Do you think Benford's coaching debate has been anything other than a disaster? I like everyone hopes he turns it around, but if there has been a worst coaching performance than he has this year, I've not seen it. If Mitchell was not here, the team should still be a lot better than it has been. Out of position, sure he is. That is a factor, but not a big excuse. I agree he should be performing better, but I give the Belt a lot more credit than you do. Any team can stop one player the majority of the time.

Missing classes, if this is the case; then he is definitely responsible. However, it is hardly a big offense for college athletes and if his punishment is only missing a few minutes of the game, the administration does not think it is a big deal ether.

If you don't think Tony's is a big factor in Franklin's stats than there is no use in going any further on that topic. Franklin's hustle and skill are to be applauded.

Motor doesn't run hard? It didn't run any harder last year, and he was the best player in the Belt. Mitchell's demeanor leads to lots of criticism, but I see more frustration than I do lack of effort.

I hate to have added to all those excuses for Mitchell. I am not into hammering any NT athlete. The truth is everyone is very disappointed in the team, coaches, and Tony this year. If you remove all the hype about Mitchell and just look at this year, he is a 13 pt 8 rb guy who terrorises the opponents inside. On that basis, he is very solid player and no matter what happens this year, he has probably provided more publicity to NT than any athlete in history other than Joe Greene.

Respect your opinions as always but will agree to disagree with you. Not your entire reply, but most of it. Doesn't make either of us smarter or better fans. Thanks! Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

That's over the line. Kram and I disagree a good deal about Benford but there is a whole lot of growing up that needs to be done by lots of people on this thread...

I'm sorry you disagree. But I just posted the truth. In Emmitt's job, he protects everyone when they are in Dallas, be it someone he agrees with or someone, who thinks all he does is bake cookies. I don't want to get in to it with you, but KRAM knew exactly what he was doing and I took the bait. But I still stand by my statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Respect your opinions as always but will agree to disagree with you. Does make either of us smarter or better fans. Thanks!

You know if everyone could respond with a similar response ( agree to disagree) this place could be a lot more pleasant , +1 for you

My opinion :

Tony has never been a dominant offensive player. I think when people see all his talent & accolades , they assume he's Lebron James like. He's more of a Dennis Rodman type. He is still on the nation's leader board in blocks & rebounds per game

The kid plays under a microscope. He's never claimed to be a lottery pick or said " I'm the greatest ". Those comments are all brought on by other people who do not see him on a regular basis. Every interview I've ever seen him do he's always been really humble & has talked highly of UNT.

I hope he stays another year to work on his game , he needs it IMO

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

I've always thought Tony's athleticism and ability to fly up and around the basket lends himself better in an accompanying role: in a 2-or-3 on 1 in transition, or giving our passers somebody to dish to who can fly to the basket faster than anyone else.

He doesn't really shine when you stick him in a more stationary role, either glued under the basket or fenced off around the edges. That's probably related to why you see those scouts speaking negatively of his offensive skill set.

He should be getting double-doubles every night, 10 - 15points and 12ish boards. Expecting 25-30 points a game from him, even in the Sun Belt, is not really his game. Maybe a one-off, sure...but not night in/out.

Put the guy in motion at the 4 or even 3 - a lot, and coach your players to know how to handle how the defense adjusts/reacts.

Edited by greenminer

You know if everyone could respond with a similar response ( agree to disagree) this place could be a lot more pleasant , +1 for you

My opinion :

Tony has never been a dominant offensive player. I think when people see all his talent & accolades , they assume he's Lebron James like. He's more of a Dennis Rodman type. He is still on the nation's leader board in blocks & rebounds per game

The kid plays under a microscope. He's never claimed to be a lottery pick or said " I'm the greatest ". Those comments are all brought on by other people who do not see him on a regular basis. Every interview I've ever seen him do he's always been really humble & has talked highly of UNT.

I hope he stays another year to work on his game , he needs it IMO

Thank you NTO3. It's sports and how boring it would be if we agree here on everything.

• Upvote 2

You really are very sad. I am sorry that the only means you have to express yourself is in such an inane and childish way. You might consider professional help.

Oh, sure...this gets the -1. Thanks. Filthy and childish language is OK with you, huh? Personal attacks, just fine as well...but respond in perfect able language and you hide behind keyboard and give me a -1. Priceless...care to PM me with your name? Probably not...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Oh, sure...this gets the -1. Thanks. Filthy and childish language is OK with you, huh? Personal attacks, just fine as well...but respond in perfect able language and you hide behind keyboard and give me a -1. Priceless...care to PM me with your name? Probably not...

KRAM, you takethe cake or cookies as you have requested. Your personal attacks on Emmitt have been far from good fun. You are a hypocrite in the highest order and you are the one that needs to seek professional help.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2