more conference realignment?

outoftown

So they say North Carolina might move to the B1G

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/2/19/4005512/report-north-carolina-has-big-ten-offer-virginia

Now if this actually happens(and that is a big IF -even if SBnation claims the guy knows what he talks about- but hey it is offseason and there is nothing better to discuss), might we come out of this unharmed?

Could it spell the end of the big east and be to our benefit?

Would it just mean C-USA will get more picked apart and loose much of its appeal?

Edited by outoftown

As someone already said, please make it stop.

UNC is in some trouble with SACS for handing out worthless degrees to "student-athletes" and their chancellor just resigned to become the provost at St. Louis (I think that's the school).

Here in the Triangle, you commonly see homes painted Carolina blue, Duke blue, and NC State red. A few years ago, I would have told you that a break-up of the Tobacco Road rivalries would be impossible. Now, it would not surprise me one bit. Rumors are circulating that UVa may be going as well.

Maybe its a good thing we have no rivals after all?

I think UVA is easier to get. Beyond the academic benefits, Maryland is in the Big 10 now and maybe more importantly Va.Tech is in the ACC much to UVA's disappointment. That was a straight political arm twist. UVA was told they couldn't support expansion without supporting UVA and without UVA's vote, there weren't enough votes to admit Miami.

I've been on the train of thought for sometime with many others. The ACC will be eaten alive by the BG1 and the Big12. I think the Big10 makes the first move and then the Big 12 will be quick to act. The SEC will then have to do some soul searching as to if they should take teams from states where they already have a footprint. A few schools might be left behind in all of this possibly moving to the BigEast or forming up with the few Big East schools trying like hell to get out of it.

B1G and SEC will have first picks. Once Delaney decides to move, Slive and company will go next...if not concurrently. Then the Big12 will be allowed to have their choice of the leftovers. In agreement with your statement about not expanding within the footprint, look for the SEC to add schools in North Carolina and Virginia. If B1G goes UNC and Virginia, expect NCState and VaTech. If B1G goes GATech and someone else (not UNC or VA), then expect UNC and Virginia to be added to the SEC. 16 seems like the number, apparently. These bigger conferences will, perhaps, be able to make it work better than good ol Karl Benson and the WAC..

So they say North Carolina might move to the B1G

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/2/19/4005512/report-north-carolina-has-big-ten-offer-virginia

Now if this actually happens(and that is a big IF -even if SBnation claims the guy knows what he talks about- but hey it is offseason and there is nothing better to discuss), might we come out of this unharmed?

Could it spell the end of the big east and be to our benefit?

Would it just mean C-USA will get more picked apart and loose much of its appeal?

"...could spell the end of the big east and be to our benefit?"

Don't know what that benefit would be or what you had in mind, outoftown, but if we're talking the SMU's the UH's, the Memphis, etc, getting in bed with North Texas conference-wise lets once again be brutally realistic & try to understand that they no more want to be with UNT than we want to align our school with former Southland Conference schools.

Now had all of our favorite school in Denton, Texas, America, the last 30 plus year only tried to go another direction than trying to fit a 1-AA (FCS) square peg program into a 1-A (FBS) round hole kind of program with those we kept hiring decade after decade and just kept on retaining that adminstrative group (none of whom could ever get jobs at the next level) then this whole scenario for North Texas with the aforementioned Big East (former CUSA) schools might be different today.

We just have to bloom where planted but who is to say that will be all so terrible?

This excerpt below from a Tulsa U alum from his post on www.insidetulsasports.com :

"TU is what it is

a small private school, stuck in the midwest

Competing

against Big 12/SEC schools 4 pr & recruits

Nat'lly? @ TU's level , nBmeek

or NConf USA, no one cares.

Win & win Big in ur subAQ conf that'll get u

the pub u need.

otherwise, its a wash nationally,

Locally, I doubt u see

much drop in support & attendance IF any @ all.

I Guarantee N Tex/UTSA/La

Tech

will bring more fans to games here than

than Houston/SMU/Tulane ever

did.

NConf USA offers all 4 major Texas TV/Recruiting markets

N

Tex/UTSA/L Tech

already have better fan support & more up side

than

Houston/SMU/Tulane."

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

"...could spell the end of the big east and be to our benefit?"

Don't know what that benefit would be or what you had in mind, outoftown, but if we're talking the SMU's the UH's, the Memphis, etc, getting in bed with North Texas conference-wise lets once again be brutally realistic & try to understand that they no more want to be with UNT than we want to align our school with former Southland Conference schools.

Now had all of our favorite school in Denton, Texas, America, the last 30 plus year only tried to go another direction than trying to fit a 1-AA (FCS) square peg program into a 1-A (FBS) round hole kind of program with those we kept hiring decade after decade and just kept on retaining that adminstrative group (none of whom could ever get jobs at the next level) then this whole scenario for North Texas with the aforementioned Big East (former CUSA) schools might be different today.

We just have to bloom where planted but who is to say that will be all so terrible?

This excerpt below from a Tulsa U alum from his post on www.insidetulsasports.com :

"TU is what it is

a small private school, stuck in the midwest

Competing

against Big 12/SEC schools 4 pr & recruits

Nat'lly? @ TU's level , nBmeek

or NConf USA, no one cares.

Win & win Big in ur subAQ conf that'll get u

the pub u need.

otherwise, its a wash nationally,

Locally, I doubt u see

much drop in support & attendance IF any @ all.

I Guarantee N Tex/UTSA/La

Tech

will bring more fans to games here than

than Houston/SMU/Tulane ever

did.

NConf USA offers all 4 major Texas TV/Recruiting markets

N

Tex/UTSA/L Tech

than

Houston/SMU/Tulane."

GMG!

Mostly I was just wondering if someone could come up with a realistic scenario of how this could actually benefit us, cause i am kind of tired of looking at this whole realignment thing without hope of things getting better.

Maybe if the big east looses say 4 members and only 4-6 geographically scattered programs remain C-USA can pick up someone worthwile.... but I admit it does not seem particularly probable

N

Tex/UTSA/L Tech

than

Houston/SMU/Tulane."

Take Houston out of that, and you have a true statement.

I guess "upside" is somewhat subjective and speculative, but there can be no doubt that Houston currently has better fan support than North Texas.

• Upvote 1

I think the SEC will stay at 14 for now. They have no reason to increase ... it only futher divides the pot and more teams would just break up more regional rivalries into separate divisions. If the Big 10 grabs two from the ACC ... the ACC could sit or add two from the Big East. The Big East would need to grab one or two teams from CUSA or maybe MAC. Big 12 could sit tight.

All of this will happen ... or not.

• Upvote 1

The Big 12 would take any ACC school, I don't think that's really news.

But no ACC school is going anywhere until they see how the Maryland $20 million dollar exit fee is resolved.

And that's why the Big 12 is asking for a title game without having to add new members.

I've been on the train of thought for sometime with many others. The ACC will be eaten alive by the BG1 and the Big12. I think the Big10 makes the first move and then the Big 12 will be quick to act. The SEC will then have to do some soul searching as to if they should take teams from states where they already have a footprint. A few schools might be left behind in all of this possibly moving to the BigEast or forming up with the few Big East schools trying like hell to get out of it.

I think the Big 12 would gladly take FSU and Miami in a heartbeat, the former being the more likely of the two. Instantly puts them back to 12. A strong 12, at that.

Take Houston out of that, and you have a true statement.

I guess "upside" is somewhat subjective and speculative, but there can be no doubt that Houston currently has better fan support than North Texas.

It's a true statement as it was originally written. Comparing Houston/SMU/Tulane to UTSA/UNT/LaTech could be read as UNT has better support than SMU, LaTech has better support than Tulane, and UTSA has better support than Houston. Those are all true statements if you're considering general size of the fan base and attendance. Sum each group up and it's overwhelmingly in nCUSA's favor. Now, support in terms of $$ donated? That's a different story.

• Upvote 1

It's a true statement as it was originally written. Comparing Houston/SMU/Tulane to UTSA/UNT/LaTech could be read as UNT has better support than SMU, LaTech has better support than Tulane, and UTSA has better support than Houston. Those are all true statements if you're considering general size of the fan base and attendance. Sum each group up and it's overwhelmingly in nCUSA's favor. Now, support in terms of $$ donated? That's a different story.

Eh, I don't know about Houston having less support than UTSA. UTSA is a novelty, right now. It's all new. And when things are new, it's easy to get excited about them. We'll see how it goes after they get their asses kicked around in an actual conference, this season.

• Upvote 1

It just strikes me how selfish and myopic it is for these COLLEGE administrators to be making decisions behind closed doors that negatively impact SO many schools and SO many traditions...it's really got an aspect of seedy evil to it no? IE we don't give a crap about the fact North Carolina has a long tradition of being in the ACC or surely don't care about the other conference schools in the ACC that will be damaged by this and those below them...

You could say that North Texas did the same thing to the Sun Belt but I disagree -- C-USA gave us Texas rivals that the Belt couldn't offer. Our reasons for moving were justified.

I just think it stinks that some supposed "admin/educators" are conspiring behind the scenes to makes moves which affect so many fans supporters and student athletes... while ESPN cheers them on only to pay big money to their "inside" reporters who talk about the mess that they (ESPN) had a big part in creating.

Of course, you then realize North Carolina, a supposed traditionally academic beacon was recently busted for providing fake classes for their athletes...the whole system is a MESS and greed is the cause...

Eh, I don't know about Houston having less support than UTSA. UTSA is a novelty, right now. It's all new. And when things are new, it's easy to get excited about them. We'll see how it goes after they get their asses kicked around in an actual conference, this season.

You obviously didn't see their recruiting class, their coach, and the Bacon State score. UTSA is going to come into C-USA and bust some heads. At least, that's what I've been told.

• Upvote 3